U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM

269 posts, read 168,974 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering retirement in the Gettysburg area. What towns would be best that are in that area for retirees? Of course I would like to be near good medical facilities. Thanks for your feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,030,495 times
What exactly are you looking for? Gettysburg has a hospital in town with many medical practices scattered about, so you'll be good there. Gettysburg has a few high-end communities that may suite your taste.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:08 AM

235 posts, read 200,245 times
In addition to what Dequindre asked, where are you moving from? How you will find things in South Central PA will depend on what you are used to now, including related to medical care.

We are retiring to Hanover PA from the Baltimore area, hopefully in June. So tired of beltway driving every day, and ready to move on.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 PM

121 posts, read 214,495 times
Adams county has a couple really nice, small towns that would fit a quiet, country living lifestyle. Check out the areas around East Berlin, New Oxford, and Biglerville.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 PM

269 posts, read 168,974 times
Thanks for the feedback. We live in upstate New York. We've been to the Gettysburg area several times and really like it. My husband is a diabetic and had heart surgery so I would like to be near a good medical facility that he can go to. We really haven't checked any of the other areas that JettaPA mentioned. But we've been through Hanover. Sicilee, when you are all settled, let us know how it is. Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 AM

Delhidi --

Many of the small (small being relative of course) communties in South Central PA will have a local hospital or will be within short driving distance of one. Think Hanover, Gettysburg, Chambersburg. I say small, being in Baltimore and having moved here from center city Philly so that is what I compare it to. As long as you are not too remote you should have access to medical care. You won't get the kind of care in those facilities as you would in an urban area, a trade off we are making as well. So you could end up driving to the hospitals in Harrisburg, or more likely Hershey, or even Baltimore for more complex care. Others in the area probably are aware of others.

We chose Hanover because we wanted to be close to MD, where I currently work and where my doctors are, and because we found a walkable community -- Clearview -- something that I crave. In a pinch, we could walk to a grocery store and the local hospital. A restaurant or two.

We looked at the Penn National area, and there are nice houses there, but it is too remote for us. I don't want to have to drive five miles to a grocery store. Others don't mind that -- I do.

A fall back for us was (and still is, if the house in Hanover falls through) Carlisle. There are some really beautiful communities in the area surrounding Carlisle, and being close to the turnpike and other major roads, the drive to Harrisburg and Hershey is not difficult.

Good luck to you. I will definitely return and post here so you know when we have moved. By the way, our realtor (buyer's agent) is based in Gettysburg and knows the area well. She is the best I've worked with and I'd be happy to give you her name. No gain for me -- I just like her a lot. Respectful. Helpful. Responsive. I don't want to list her name here but I think there is a way you can message me if you want it.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Default retirement get aways

Any suggestions for mobile homes and 55 and over active communities in the Gettysburg area. Interested in 2 bedrooms, 2 bath and minimum maintenance like no mowing or showshoveling.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Delhidi --

We chose Hanover because we wanted to be close to MD, where I currently work and where my doctors are, and because we found a walkable community -- Clearview -- something that I crave. In a pinch, we could walk to a grocery store and the local hospital. A restaurant or two.

We looked at the Penn National area, and there are nice houses there, but it is too remote for us. I don't want to have to drive five miles to a grocery store. Others don't mind that -- I do.

A fall back for us was (and still is, if the house in Hanover falls through) Carlisle. There are some really beautiful communities in the area surrounding Carlisle, and being close to the turnpike and other major roads, the drive to Harrisburg and Hershey is not difficult.

Good luck to you. I will definitely return and post here so you know when we have moved.
I said I'd return and post, so here it is. We moved to Hanover in June and absolutely love it here. Everything we need is close, but there is enough space and green that it doesn't feel crowded. Such beautiful countryside, too, a short drive away. Great farmer's markets. If we need specialty shopping, Baltimore is only an hour away. Frederick and Rockville not much further. Now I'm waiting for retirement to go through so I can enjoy it even more.

I didn't realize just how much of a downer it is to be unhappy where you are living. We didn't even see it happening, really. Just felt like Baltimore wasn't home. The little nagging voice became louder over time, as we retreated into our condo to not have to deal with it. Not a healthy thing, mentally or physically.

But we are home now, and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area