Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 15,040 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a borough around harrisburg that allows a few chickens to be kept as pets. Like max of 5? I am having a hard time finding this info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Oliver Twp surrounding Newport has no zoning. The East Newport and Everhartville neighborhoods south of Newport Borough have some modest price homes on smaller lots that seem like a borough. I think I saw an FSBO for $39k which might be 3155 Newport Rd 17074 as an example of this area.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 15,040 times
Would Enola let me have chickens if I had at least a 1/3 acre? Or Dauphin north of Harrisburg? I found a couple homes in these areas that have a little space but I can't find any zoning ordinances regarding chickens

Old 10-01-2015, 12:58 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
In PA you need to look up the specific municipality, and then its code of ordinances. Not every municipality is online and even if they are online their ordinances might not be. Even if the ordinance is online it might not always be possible to find online the zoning map that corresponds to the ordinance!

Not every name of municipality corresponds to its postal address name. Postal addresses may be in more than one municipality. A zone in one municipality may have very different restrictions than a similarly named zone in another municipality. Especially with something like keeping backyard chickens, there is not any shortcut to looking up by place and detail.

As an example, "Enola" is not a municipality, but places with that postal address are most likely in East Pennsboro Township, Cumberland County. That municipality does have a website with an externally hosted code of ordinances. East Pennsboro Township » Township Ordinances has a link to that externally hosted code. Searching on "East Pennsboro" and "poultry" brings up more than searching on "chicken" does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area