Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 55,560 times

Advertisements

Hi. My fiance and I are looking at two houses to rent. One is in Hershey and the ohter is in Middletown. Both are on nice sized lots and the rent is about the same for both. The House in Hershey is much smaller than the one in Middletown, but we don't know if Hershey is a nicer area than Middletown. Hershey would be closer to our families, but Middletown would be closer for our commute to Harrisburg for work.

Can anyone help us decide which location is better. We've read about what is close by online for both areas, and they look about the same. I'm sure there is a difference living in the two tho.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times
Hershey is the better choice in my opinion. My wife and I just recently sold a house in Elizabethtown, which is close to both locations you mentioned. We're pretty familiar with the whole area. My daughter is currently living in Hershey after having been in several different apartments in that general area. She is very satisfied with her current location. I think the proximity of the airport to Middletown is a drawback. I believe you will find Hershey more expensive than Middletown but probably worth the extra cost.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
Hershey will have more going on, Middletown seems sort of quiet and parts of it seem depressed.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,706 times
I used to rent in Hershey and the taxes were really high. Coming from a state that had very low taxes, moving to Hershey was quite a shock when all of the various tax bills started coming in. When I went to the local tax office for them to explain what all of the various taxes went to (I had never heard of school taxes, local income tax or township occupation taxes and since moving from PA have never seen them again), I got an employee to admit that the taxes are high to keep poor people out of Hershey.

But the upside is that the town is clean, crime is low and there are some really nice parks and trails close to town.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,110 times
In my opinion, Hershey is a much better choice. I've rented in Middletown for just over 1 year now, and I cannnot wait to leave. Hershey is beautiful! Middletown seems to be getting more run down. There are some nicer areas of town, but I don't think it would be worth it. I'd say stick with Hershey!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
I would definitely choose Hershey; it would be a bit expensive for someone not used to the area though. Compared to New Jersey, however, Hershey is positively cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area