U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,743 times

Advertisements

Which area is best for an Asian person in their 20s who wants to live in a surburban area but close to good nightlife? Which area is the most diverse? I've found that some people in PA can be more racist than I'd expected.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 489,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notondrugs View Post
Which area is best for an Asian person in their 20s who wants to live in a surburban area but close to good nightlife? Which area is the most diverse? I've found that some people in PA can be more racist than I'd expected.

Well, the nightlife scene in York is rather simple, it doesn't exist. There might be one or two clubs, and a few bars with a somewhat younger crowd, open on Fridays and Saturdays. That's it. I don't know much about nightlife in Lancaster, but I would imagine it is similar to York. There might be a few more places to go in Harrisburg, I think most are concentrated on or near second street. Not much of a nightlife scene around here because there is a lower percentage of young professionals compared to Philly and Pittsburgh (and far, far less young professionals compared to sun-belt cities). There just aren't a lot of people age 22-35. Most that age are from here and super conservative, and would never go to a nightclub.

You might get better input if you tell us a bit more about yourself, including where you have lived.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 17,743 times
I know Baltimore is a good city for nightlife. Is it reasonable to go there on weekends from any of these cities for nightlife?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 489,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notondrugs View Post
I know Baltimore is a good city for nightlife. Is it reasonable to go there on weekends from any of these cities for nightlife?
If you live in York you can definitely go down to Baltimore on a regular basis. It is not uncommon for people to live in York County and work in Baltimore. Baltimore is an underrated city with good nightlife.

The drive from Harrisburg or Lancaster to Baltimore is a bit longer.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 PM

92 posts, read 94,710 times
I agree with BigBen. There really don't seem to be a lot of people between the ages of 22 and 30ish. I fit into this age group. And, I'd be lying if I told you that I've made many friends in the months I've been out here. Definitely seems like a better area to move to once you are married, have a family, are ready to settle down etc. I live on the West Shore, and have only ever been downtown Harrisburg a few times. It's okay, but nothing like most other cities especially in the way of nightlife or anything.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:21 AM

405 posts, read 860,354 times
Harrisburg. The downtown benefits from the young attorneys and professionals who work at the capital & court during the week. The downtown can be a bit dead on the weekend.

Lancaster has some good restaurants but the night life tends more towards the college crowd.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 28,584 times
First of all, so sorry to hear about your experiences with racism in PA. That sucks.

Saying that, just know that you will face far more of it living in the suburbs than you will living in more of an urban environment. I live with my spouse (of the same-sex), so I can say this with some authority.

We decided that while we didn't want to live in a huge city again (Philly was terrible for different reasons - trash, taxes, crime), we did want a lot of the amenities that cities offered, and the more welcoming vibe. We are both young professionals.

For us, we settled on Lancaster (the city itself), and bought a home on the west end. Lots of trees, parks, coffee shop, and a quick walk to bars, restaurants, etc..

The city is affordable, pretty welcoming (so far...) and not a bad drive to Philly, Baltimore, etc..if I really wanted to go there or spend time with friends who live there.

For us, the win/win was to find a town that was welcoming, had the amenities we liked, was affordable, and a place where we could access more if we wanted to (Lancaster has an amtrak station that goes right into nyc). It also has a pretty cool tech scene happening...along with a Whole Foods beginning construction for next year.

We'd love to have you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area