U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

Possible job opportunity at Carlisle Barracks. I'm hoping to get some info on the area. I'll definitely be renting and would prefer an apartment. I would prefer to be in a nicer area(less crime and trouble free) if there is such a thing anymore. I would like to stay under $1k per month on rent if possible but could go higher for the right place. I'm a 37 year old single man with no kids. I love sports and the outdoors: hunting, fishing, golf, hiking. Is the area suitable for these likes? I'm a laid back guy who is trouble/drama free so I'm hoping the area would be friendly to newcomers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 03:03 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,390,509 times
Carlisle, as a logistical support area for civilian and military and seat of one of the fastest growing PA counties, is relatively transplant accommodating for a small town. The Carlisle Barracks tenant US Army War College draws folks from around the free world, not sure how helpful the housing office is but could try to call US Army Garrison, Carlisle Barracks

PA is relatively gun and hunting friendly http://gohuntpa.org/ although game wardens here are not to be trifled with.

Although I don't fish, I understand fly fishing is a big deal. A local store is being rebuilt TCO Fly Fishing - Boiling Springs Location

List of local golf courses Cumberland Valley Golfing | Cumberland Valley PA

Hiking locally begins but does not end with the Appalachian Trail with a regional office just outside Carlisle in Boiling Springs. Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club - Welcome The "A.T."'s midway point is in the surrounding county, as is its museum. Appalachian Trail Museum - Welcome

Old 02-11-2016, 03:08 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,390,509 times
Also as I type this the NRA's "world's biggest consumer outdoor show" https://www.greatamericanoutdoorshow.org/ is going on in nearby Harrisburg.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM

125 posts, read 92,247 times
For all the interest you described, you'll be fine in Carlisle, and the area in general. The only thing I don't know abut is rental prices since I don't live there.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 PM

906 posts, read 448,393 times
Check out Seven Gables apartments which attracts a number of people associated with Carlisle Barracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area