U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 29,215 times

Advertisements

Thank you again KiOeh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Does anyone know the differences between living in Derry Township vs Palmyra vs Elizabethtown? I hear the taxes in Hershey are much higher and I hear there are local income and property taxes? How does this work. Coming from Georgia I'm not so used to having the tax structure differ so greatly between county to county and city to city.

What is the environment like? Is it heavily wooded? Pastures/farmland? City feeling?

I think I've narrowed down either the west shore (mechanicsburg/camp hill) or Hershey, Palmyra, Hummelstown, Elizabethtown, Western Lancaster county as potential places to live....

Any insider information ?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,384,804 times
Can look up local withheld taxes here: Act 32 | Local Income Tax | PSD Codes and EIT Rates

Much of Palmyra and parts of Hershey (and other areas in an east west belt in the southern half of the main valley) are underlain by karstic carbonate rock. PA*DCNR*-*Geology - Sinkholes

The limestone part of the valley tends to be fairly wide open, maybe some trees on town lots.

The shale portion of the valley (north) may have small groves of trees between former pasture and hay fields.

The Highlands (hills south of the valley) can be thickly wooded even house lots.

Blue Mountain (ridgeline north of the valley) usually wooded and rocky. From the archives: July 9, 1995 / Rocksylvania is a real boot-buster | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The older communities (such as Hummelstown Borough, a small portion of the Hummelstown postal address, also Palmyra Borough) have very small lots with porches pretty much right off the sidewalk. Depression and post-WW2 homes on the edges are set back a little further.

Hershey developed later, and though there are a few blocks of semi-detached houses (they share one party wall, think half pregnant) most tend to be set a little further back and detached.

Much of Harrisburg city, Lebanon city, Lancaster city, Carlisle borough have row homes (party walls on both sides, you own maybe a postage stamp yard in back, or if lucky a tiny garage off a narrow alley to go with it). These would have more of a city-ish feel, comparable in form and density to Philadelphia, Baltimore, much of Brooklyn, etc.

A lot of the brownstone favored in the large eastern cities was actually mined in parts of Derry Twp south of Hummelstown Borough. Hummelstown Brownstone Some of the Italian immigrant families who came over to work in the quarries and workshops transitioned to working in the chocolate factories. An Italian neighborhood grocery remains tucked away on a side street in Hershey.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 28,277 times
To be honest, my spouse and I (both women) moved to the city of Lancaster (far different than the general suburbs of Lancaster) because my spouse has a job in Harrisburg - we bought an old victorian home on the West End and she's in her mid-30s. Here's my observations that might be useful:

- We can walk to any type of restaurant you can name - Indian, Asian, Pizza shops, ice cream, cupcake store, burrito shop...but my neighborhood is tree-lined and relatively low in traffic compared to the city center.

- We can walk to the Central Market for groceries (fantastic indoor market where local farmers - organic and otherwise, sell their goods). It's a great perk.

- The park is close! We can walk to Beneful Dog Park (rated the best dog park in the nation) to get our pup's energy out, and are not far from hiking, fishing, and outdoor activities.

- It's very liberal in our area...but I love it. Lancaster *county* is conservative, Lancaster *city* is very progressive. There are gay pride flags on churches on two of my street corners, and my neighbors are a mix of gay and straight, older, families, single people and couples.

- City living here can include a garage, yard, etc...which we also loved.

Our friends from Atlanta really love the food scene here and the fact that it is more progressive. Central PA is known for it's republicanism and conservative perspectives (an old joke says "what is between philadelphia and pittsburgh....the deep south"), but this is one place that's certainly not true. We also have an art school, "first fridays" where all the galleries are open, and a nice live music scene where you can usually hear people playing on the street on the weekends. We also have an Amtrak station - making getting into the bigger cities really easy.

Anyway - just wanted to give you an insider perspective from a recent transplant...we came from outside the NYC metro area, and our friends called this "little brooklyn" - it's turned out to be more true than I imagined, and did I mention the housing prices are CHEAP. I have a 5 bedroom, 3 full bath home and I'd be embarassed to tell you what I paid for it...and if you need a realtor, feel free to message me - we had a really good one who was great with out of towners.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Wow - Thanks Jag12. Your response was right on the money for what I was looking for. If you could direct message the realtor that would be helpful as well. I'm glad to know there are areas where there is more of the city feel I am used to!

Do you have any insight to employment in the area? I'm still concerned about finding the right fit in central PA or should I just be looking to commute into Philly...? Any more tips would be greatly appreciated here or by private message!

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area