Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 PM

59 posts, read 37,117 times

Advertisements

Like others who have posted here, I too am considering a move to the Harrisburg area. I decided to come for a visit as I'm not very familiar with the area.

The entire area is full of natural beauty. It's truly one of the most picturesque areas I've visited in terms of the mountains, parks, and open areas.

People were fairly friendly and helpful and there is plenty of access to highways to get you everywhere pretty quickly.

Before my visit, I actually visited this site and page. From all of the questions about how safe the city is I thought I was coming to a war zone. There are some really bad areas, I cannot deny that. However, I didn't fear for my safety at all while there. I employed the same common sense practices I use in unfamiliar places and I didn't have any problems. No one bothered us. I wasn't aware that Harrisburg has a reputation of being unsafe. Maybe I didn't happen onto the right areas or the right time of day.

Anywhoo my questions:

-I'm not an apartment dweller and have never lived in an apartment. The houses in Harrisburg are incredibly close together. I saw very few "standalone" houses. My question is, are there any areas in the actual city where the houses are more spread out? It seems that row houses/apartment buildings are the norm and there are very few single family homes. Of the few single family homes I did see there did not seem to be any for sale/rent.

-How many sides of town are there in Harrisburg? The city isn't really on a grid, the best I can tell. It seems like there are only three sides of town--South, East, and West. Is that correct?

-For those who work downtown: does your employer reimburse you for parking? Is that a standard part of the employment package around the downtown area or no? If not, how much do you pay for parking yearly.

-I'm really shocked at how small the city is, especially for a capital city. It seems like Division Street is just that, the line of demarcation between the "better" part of town vs the less desirable part of town. On this board I've read about "uptown," "midtown," and "downtown." I think I've figured out downtown and "uptown." Where exactly is "midtown?" I put in midtown to my GPS and it took me to a theater on Relly St. or something like that. That still seemed like downtown to me.

-This last question is rhetorical but why does everyone in the whole Harrisburg area drive everywhere at 60+mph all the time? Most cities have a rush hour or morning rush. It just seems like people in Harrisburg are always rushing to somewhere. I had some guy tailgate me at 60mph on a 45mph road and then change lanes and cut me off on wet roads just to pull into a strip mall. This happened numerous times--people bird dog you from behind and then jump in front of you only to turn in to a store, turn a corner, or then slow down. It doesn't matter what the stated speed limit is--35mph, 25mph, 45mph. It seems like the defecto speed limit is at least 60mph. People don't even slow down when they see the cops. It's like everyone is in hyper speed. Why the wild driving Harrisburg?

If anyone has any input on the above I'd appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:38 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,874,077 times
First of all: "Harrisburgians"???

Shouldn't it be "Harrisburgers"???!!!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM

13,259 posts, read 8,350,535 times
To answer your questions
Anywhoo my questions:

-I'm not an apartment dweller and have never lived in an apartment. The houses in Harrisburg are incredibly close together. I saw very few "standalone" houses. My question is, are there any areas in the actual city where the houses are more spread out? It seems that row houses/apartment buildings are the norm and there are very few single family homes. Of the few single family homes I did see there did not seem to be any for sale/rent.

My response: yes over by Dixon college, yet that is still a bit of a business area

-How many sides of town are there in Harrisburg? The city isn't really on a grid, the best I can tell. It seems like there are only three sides of town--South, East, and West. Is that correct?

My response:there is a northern part- heading towards dauphin, there you will find housing

-For those who work downtown: does your employer reimburse you for parking? Is that a standard part of the employment package around the downtown area or no? If not, how much do you pay for parking yearly.

My response: Wow yeah parking, good luck with that one. If you are state employee they have stickers assigned. If you work for a private company- no they do not pay for your parking. Matter of fact the mayor just upped the parking fees and the companies that had been there long term are considering moving across the river (west shore side). HBG is running business's out of the area...High taxes, and more fees.

-I'm really shocked at how small the city is, especially for a capital city. It seems like Division Street is just that, the line of demarcation between the "better" part of town vs the less desirable part of town. On this board I've read about "uptown," "midtown," and "downtown." I think I've figured out downtown and "uptown." Where exactly is "midtown?" I put in midtown to my GPS and it took me to a theater on Relly St. or something like that. That still seemed like downtown to me.

-This last question is rhetorical but why does everyone in the whole Harrisburg area drive everywhere at 60+mph all the time? Most cities have a rush hour or morning rush. It just seems like people in Harrisburg are always rushing to somewhere. I had some guy tailgate me at 60mph on a 45mph road and then change lanes and cut me off on wet roads just to pull into a strip mall. This happened numerous times--people bird dog you from behind and then jump in front of you only to turn in to a store, turn a corner, or then slow down. It doesn't matter what the stated speed limit is--35mph, 25mph, 45mph. It seems like the defecto speed limit is at least 60mph. People don't even slow down when they see the cops. It's like everyone is in hyper speed. Why the wild driving Harrisburg?

My response; Have yet to see 60mph speeders going on front st or even 2nd street. The city is quite controlled on the speed limits. I've traveled every day in the main city areas. Lots of park venues and city walkers, so they are mindful of the community safety. will say there is more street crime and day time shootings then ever before...but I'm sure the thugs will improve there marksmanship ( tongue in cheek humor)

If anyone has any input on the above I'd appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,726,817 times
Here is a Harrisburg city neighborhood with single family detached homes: Bellevue Park

You may wish also to consider the inner West Shore boroughs of Wormleysburg, Lemoyne, New Cumberland. If Bellevue Park does not suit, these may be the closest single family detached home areas to downtown/capitol complex. Many day shift weekday workers will ride the bus from these areas Routes and Schedules | CAT: Capital Area Transit

If Harrisburg had not been quite as constricted in annexation, such bordering areas as Penbrook Borough, Paxtang Borough, the Latshmere Manor neighborhood in extreme SE corner of Susquehanna Twp, and whatever the area in Susquehanna Twp is called east of the river, south of I-81, west of the railroad, and north of the city line (literally almost enveloped, actually, since Wildwood Park is in the city limits) probably would also have been in the city proper.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 AM

59 posts, read 37,117 times
Since posting this we've researched the area a lot more. This information helps. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM

11 posts, read 15,416 times
Nov3 is very much wrong about stating that State workers have stickers. Some might... the higher-ups. Most, the vast majority, working downtown... pay.
$100/month is about the best, at Herr and 7th St. but if you want to be closer, then you're paying $185/month. These rates will go up soon. LST has been tripled and it is being pulled out of paychecks retroactively to the 1st of the year (not even sure how that's legal). The out of town workers are being used to pay for the blunders of the burg- very few of us stick around once the day ends anymore.
Used to live right off 2nd Street. Sirens constantly. Saw several fights in a lot across from us (near Amtrak)... Stick to the main streets, and don't go down near the river area back by Pinnacle. That's where the hobos hang out after they've made their trek over to the volunteer tables for food. They like tagging along women if it's getting late or dark. The more you get away from the center and into areas that are not as well-lit, darker, that's where the trouble is mostly at. Although there has been at least one shooting right on 2nd Street near a very popular restaurant.
We left for a nicer house, quieter 'hood, and easier parking. Not to mention where we stayed, you had the constant thumping, humming of the Amtrak trains sitting across from the apt. (maintenance area I guess- one would leave, another come and sit there for days... idling and vibrating your teeth)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area