U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am possibly considering a move to York, PA for a job. I am from Pittsburgh but have never really been to central PA, so I guess I would like everyone's input! I'm in my twenties and a recent graduate. I'll be moving by myself and working at a school in the city.

What's the area like? Restaurants? Things to do?

Where would I want to live if I wanted a safe area, coffee and restaurants within walking, and not a horrible commute (~40 mins) into the city? What's the cost of living like? How much should I expect to pay for rent?

Ultimately I just want to know if this is a place I would want to move to... I am planning to make a trip out there in the next week or so before I make a decision, but it will be a short visit and there's nothing like advice from the locals! I'll be happy to give additional info if necessary. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,002,407 times
York itself is quite scary. There is a fair amount of crime and blight in the downtown core. If you do look for a house there, go as far out into the suburbs as possible.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,329,591 times
Assuming you'll be working in the city, you can look for an apartment or housing near York Hospital area; South Queen Street near shopping center (York Apts., Rolling Hills apts). Brockie Greens on Country Club Road has condos that people rent. Another area might be Springettsbury Township, nice apartments up behind Planet Fitness called Greensprings (they're nice because they come with a w/d in each unit). Near Galleria Mall there are some nice apartments. Another area attractive to young singles is the Royal Court area in Windsor Township (off of Springwood and Cape Horn Road). Those apartments have a fitness center, outdoor pools and options for garages.

You probably wouldn't want to live in the city proper, although some areas are much safer and better than others. There are many more parts of York that have a York address, but are actually in "suburbs". Try and find something in Springettsbury, Spring Garden or Windsor Township (most will still have York addresses). You'll still be within 20 minutes of where you need to get to for work.

Expect to pay about $800 month for a decent apartment~you can probably do better if you rent the upstairs of a home that has been converted (West York, main street of Dallastown seems to have a lot of apartments over retail establishments or large homes that have been converted to 2 family units).

Unfortunately there does seem to be a higher than average crime rate, but it's usually targeted individuals and seems to be contained to certain areas or streets. Stay away from those areas for housing and York's surrounding area is fun. There is a bit of a nightlife, a great market (dowtown and Eastern), lots of trendy restaurants and a local baseball team. Nice river trail that starts in the city and extends south to the Maryland line. Stop in at the Visitor's Center (located at Harley Davidson plant) and pick up information, they might have some relocation information as well. Outside of the city itself are some good malls, Lancaster is only 20-40 minutes away, Harrisburg has some great restaurants and festivals and Baltimore is an easy hour trip during non traffic times.

If you want more information, you can PM me.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 AM

121 posts, read 212,251 times
Teachbeach gives good advice. West Manchester Township and the West York area is also great too and close to everything while still being safe.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 PM

78 posts, read 141,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
York itself is quite scary. There is a fair amount of crime and blight in the downtown core. If you do look for a house there, go as far out into the suburbs as possible.
Blight? Scary? York has one of the nicest downtown areas and great architecture thorughout the city, this is not Chester or West Baltimore lets be real.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM

9,236 posts, read 4,521,918 times
Shiloh and Hellam are nice areas.

And yes the inner City is filled with crime. Tires slashed, mugged, shots, all the norm.
Heck our prison even moved out of the city because it got that bad (hahahaha!)

Slum Lords abound.

Check out:Lake Redman, Sam Lewis Park, Nixon park, and some close nearby summer adventures at Hershey Park! Nice summer concerts.

The few positives about downtown are: The library, The Farmers market, and The White Rose restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area