Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM

23 posts, read 215,417 times

Advertisements

Hi. Young family, well educated, school aged kids looking for a nice community feel (friendly neighbors- other families) with good schools close to Hershey. Would prefer to stay on E. side of Harrisburg. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Hershey itself, Manheim, and Elizabethtown. We're pretty liberal, and it looks like we'll be fish out of water, so college towns or areas where people who work for the medical center are probably safer bets. We want a neighborhood with walkability, and safety...ideally sidewalks. A downtown area is fine too, and have no problem with fixer uppers.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 09:44 AM

203 posts, read 1,252,661 times
LOL- we have lots of fixer uppers in PA. can i hire u????

hershey is sorta almost a suburb of Harrisburg. 1 million population for the metro.

i live in a conservative town, [selinsgrove] i insist on a quiet neighborhood with off street parking. compared to so called liberal areas- im happier here.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:43 AM

393 posts, read 1,524,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
LOL- we have lots of fixer uppers in PA. can i hire u????

hershey is sorta almost a suburb of Harrisburg. 1 million population for the metro.

i live in a conservative town, [selinsgrove] i insist on a quiet neighborhood with off street parking. compared to so called liberal areas- im happier here.
heh-heh..The Selinsgrove area and Snyder county as a whole is so convervative that some people would vote for Stalin if he had an 'R" behind his name.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,072,649 times
If your a true "lib", you may want to move to Philly or P-burg.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM

Default tru lib?

I had been wanting to reply to the 'conservative town' post, not really knowing what the poster meant- blue laws? or you shoot people driving Volvos, and then the poster who said they'd vote for Stalin answered that.

How about a base-level-of-affordable-healthcare-for-all kind of liberal? I have Rush Limbaugh listening friends, and while I may not always agree with them, I respect their viewpoints, so I guess its more open mindedness than anything. I just want a safe, walkable neighborhood for my kids with access to outdoor activities, as well as a nice town for shopping, dining (no evenings at Walmart).

How about Elizabethtown? Hummelstown? I really don't know the area, and appreciate kind advice (or well meaning warnings)

And is the river cleaner now? Or is it a wasteland? do people kayak on it? Swim in it?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,669,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
And is the river cleaner now? Or is it a wasteland? do people kayak on it? Swim in it?
The river's much better now. City Island in Harrisburg is a great place to spend a day, with miniature golf, a paddlewheel boat ride, a baseball stadium (Triple A, I think - the Harrisburg Senators, anyway), amusement rides, a nice bridge to walk across, etc. I'm not sure if there's a beach or not.

There are boats on the river quite often. However, in the Harrisburg area the word is that the river's "a mile wide and a foot deep". Not sure how true that is, but it's not very deep and is quite wide - and rocky. It's beautiful, though, and great for canoeing and kayaking.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,935,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
If your a true "lib", you may want to move to Philly or P-burg.
Or France. Or North Korea.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Default lib

North Korea...they've never heard of liberals...much less the concept of liberalism! Guess you guys aren't too keen on Rendell!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,935,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
North Korea...they've never heard of liberals...much less the concept of liberalism! Guess you guys aren't too keen on Rendell!
Fast Eddie? Rendell has never met a tax he didn't like....

Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Default back to hershey/hummelston

Nevermind the politics, and even 'America's favorite mayor' and please just let me know about good healthy PROGRESSIVE communities- meaning, towns that are seeing a rebirth perhaps, or have been at least solid communities for a long time...ones that families are drawn to for schools, sense of community, walkability, etc. How's Elizabethtown? Manheim? Annville? Trying to think of places E. of Harrisburg but still under 30 minutes commute....can you help? Thanks. I just want to find a nice town for my kids to grow up in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area