Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,682 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the previous posts about Harrisburg. I've found a lot of the information helpful. Although, it seems pretty split on whether people think it's a good place to live or not. I have a few questions that I'm really hoping people will be able to answer.

Our situation is a relocation. My husband has a new position with his company that will allow him to settle anywhere from D.C. up to Maine. We have pretty much decided that Pennsylvania is the place for us, mostly because of home costs. We are moving from Utah, where housing prices are pretty reasonable and taxes are extremely low compared to anywhere on the East coast.

We are looking for a few key things.

-A home in the range of $200-270k. Something I have found in various places. My big concern though is TAXES! Can anyone tell me the average property taxes for one year? We only pay about $1000 out here and I'm hoping to keep it under $3000.
-Good transportation options. My husband has to be able to travel all over the East coast, even up to Canada. Can anyone remark on the train and the airport? Is it easy to get around? I realize that train rides will be 3 hours plus but my biggest concern is the amount of connections available for trains and air.
-Safety is important, I have a 15 month old daughter. However, I work for the court system and realize crime is EVERYWHERE. Maybe some suggestions on the best parts of Harrisburg/surrounding areas?

I am also curious about a few not-so-important things.

-Any good farmers markets or whole foods stores around?
-Is the city dog-friendly?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice.

Also, if anyone has a better suggestion - not Harrisburg - that would fit that bill, please chime in.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 AM

26 posts, read 84,260 times
You have alot of questions that I will try to answer. If I answer all of them in detail I will need to write a book so if there is something you want more detail, just email me directly.

You can find a nice home (3-4 bedrooms, 2-2.5 bath, .25 lot) within the range you want to spend. You will have keep your eye on taxes though if you only want to spend under $3000/year. Camp Hill is a wonderful, quaint community but the taxes are high. Also stay clear of Hershey and Hummelstown due to higher taxes. Consider the following: Mechanicsburg/Hampden Township, New Cumberland, Dillsburg and Enola. There are other very nice communities with lower taxes but they will take you further away from some of the conveniences. Another area to consider is the Etters/Lewisberry area which is further south of New Cumberland but there are some very nice new builds at very affordable prices.

We are lucky to have several farmer's markets in the area. There are two big ones that I frequent - West Shore Farmer's Market and The Broad Street Market. I think both have websites for further review.

We have an Amtrak Station in downtown Harrisburg. Our "local" airport is Harrisburg International Airport. One thing I love about traveling out of HIA is within 20 minutes of landing I'm in my car heading home. BWI is a fairly easy drive as well but takes a little over an hour to get there.

Regarding dogs, we have a dog park in Lower Allen Township that is very nice. I see alot of people walking their dogs along the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg. I don't think we are as "dog friendly" as the west but we definately love our animals here.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want additional information.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittr2 View Post
Thanks to all the previous posts about Harrisburg. I've found a lot of the information helpful. Although, it seems pretty split on whether people think it's a good place to live or not. I have a few questions that I'm really hoping people will be able to answer.

Our situation is a relocation. My husband has a new position with his company that will allow him to settle anywhere from D.C. up to Maine. We have pretty much decided that Pennsylvania is the place for us, mostly because of home costs. We are moving from Utah, where housing prices are pretty reasonable and taxes are extremely low compared to anywhere on the East coast.

We are looking for a few key things.

-A home in the range of $200-270k. Something I have found in various places. My big concern though is TAXES! Can anyone tell me the average property taxes for one year? We only pay about $1000 out here and I'm hoping to keep it under $3000.
-Good transportation options. My husband has to be able to travel all over the East coast, even up to Canada. Can anyone remark on the train and the airport? Is it easy to get around? I realize that train rides will be 3 hours plus but my biggest concern is the amount of connections available for trains and air.
-Safety is important, I have a 15 month old daughter. However, I work for the court system and realize crime is EVERYWHERE. Maybe some suggestions on the best parts of Harrisburg/surrounding areas?

I am also curious about a few not-so-important things.

-Any good farmers markets or whole foods stores around?
-Is the city dog-friendly?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice.

Also, if anyone has a better suggestion - not Harrisburg - that would fit that bill, please chime in.

Thanks again!
Well, I don't think i've met anyone that hates the Harrisburg area, but dislikes the actual city of harrisburg. Two diffrent things.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
If you're not locked into Harrisburg, you may want to consider the Lehigh Valley - Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton. I think taxes are going to be a problem for you in either of those locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area