U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 12,745 times

Advertisements

Did our best to get into a nice neighborhood... up in the Swatara area, we thought we found our dream house. Relatively new, not too big, not too small. Modern, and while not a steal- bought it at a good enough price. Nothing made us question the area of the purchase. Went through the area numerous times, day or night... checked the area everywhere online and were impressed. Our apt. complex rent jumped up again and for 990/month with nothing else included we were hurting abit. So, when we figured our mortgage for this new place... with insurance, and taxes, 750/month for a very nice place, we made the plunge.
Met a couple neighbors, friendly... quiet at night. We're in heaven for the first month. Couple people warned us about next door lady, saying she has multiple arrests, con artist, trouble with her kids, etc.
Figured loose tongues, maybe they didn't like her or how she 'looked.' We chatted a bit with her, very friendly and seemed pleasant. Met her man, he was kinda reserved... so far, no warning bells.
Then, one night before a working day... banging, screaming.. door open and it sounds like somebody's getting killed.... calling each other the worst 'ethnic' words, more slamming, 'stop hitting on me'.... I look out, neighbors on the street watching as three cars pull up and the police go in, hands on tazer- drag them both out...
What the hell???
After they settled the situation, the neighbors said we haven't seen anything yet... it will be ten times worse, and this is the 10th guy in two years... the reason why our former owner left and moved and took a loss on the house. Nicer lady on the street was loading up a Uhaul same week.
Totally broken hearted, that's what we are... did my best to get us in a nice safe place, used most of our savings... and we move right next to a carnival ghetto show.
You can only pick your neighbors once... when you move in. Just goes to show, you never can be 100% sure what is going on, until it spills out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM

5,077 posts, read 3,573,849 times
That is only ONE neighbor. Are you kidding? Try living in my neighborhood here in Pittsburgh.

What you all need to do is talk together, and bring your unified voice to the cops. Maybe they can get her next beau on a technicality or something.

I'm sorry you feel despair after buying a house. THis is my worst nightmare, actually, and this is why I rent (free heat and AC, security entrance, walk to work, etc.). But if it is ONE person, take heart....you DID say she was friendly, correct?

It could just be an anomaly that this is all happening to HER, and disrupting the peace on your street. Or, the other neighbors are exaggerating, and the big blow up that woke you one night was a coincidence.

I've dealt with caddy neighbors, and they tend to ostracize and overestimate the outsider.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 18,473 times
That could happen anywhere. Luck of the draw.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:51 PM

I know it can happen anywhere. Owned a house for nearly twenty years with ex-wife. Our property values plummeted quickly- section 8 trouble, a couple pedophiles moved into the street above us and on our own. Took my equity in the house when we split up, wasn't all that much.
This girl is renting with welfare assistance.. turns out she has four or five convictions, worst was leaving a kid out in below freezing weather. That I did find out was true, all that stuff is on public record so I wanted to see how much of what everybody was saying there was accurate. Seems this type of person just keeps doing bad stuff, then it gets worked down to the least charge on the court work, and they're right back to doing bad stuff again. And yes, she seems to be the only trouble in this area...but right next door. And, I don't know if her probation/parole is still in effect since she's not to have any of her five kiddies back- but at least the two boys are. This entire week and past weekend, I can't even step out the door without this little ones right there in my yard, hanging on stuff, leaving garbage... the youngest asking tons of questions (no parent ever outside when you know they're home). Remember, one or more of these kids were the ones who vandalized/broke in to the former owner's place- so I'm trying to keep the peace, but still... would like some privacy. No boundaries, they don't even have a concept.
Hoping what they said about all the traffic coming and going all hours, and the fights... hope it's not going to happen. BUT, we're paying the extra (with difficulty) to have a survey done and get a strong privacy fence and some bushes on that side- maybe just keep the kids from always camping out here, lol...

Old 06-29-2016, 04:30 PM

3,926 posts, read 3,310,148 times
Maybe, as a neighborhood, you all need to reach out to her. Find ways to get her to get her life together.

Did I say that would be easy. Not on your life. But it IS SOMETHING that probably no one has ever done for her.

What is currently happening is not working for you.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 AM

226 posts, read 207,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Maybe, as a neighborhood, you all need to reach out to her. Find ways to get her to get her life together.

Did I say that would be easy. Not on your life. But it IS SOMETHING that probably no one has ever done for her.

What is currently happening is not working for you.
That's a horrible idea. You'll end up being her (unpaid) babysitter for all of those kids before you know it if you try this.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 3,573,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
That's a horrible idea. You'll end up being her (unpaid) babysitter for all of those kids before you know it if you try this.
They could make a conscious effort to avoid that - support her, but drill into her head that ultimately, SHE is the adult and is responsible for herself, her offspring, and the future of all.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:56 PM

We are just starting on a large privacy fence- that's about the best we can do. We are friendly, but not that close. The man won't even look you in the eye- he has this tough thug image to maintain, the way he yells and curses and screamed at the cops when they were taking him... I don't even want anything to do with him, since he won't ever say hi back. Just ignores you, or spits.
Understand, I didn't move there to be a social worker- that's close to what I do for a living and I moved to get away from this kind of behavior. Not to have to help somebody develop the most basic of social skills. Also, since they both have violent documented behaviors, why would I want to put myself in the crosshairs? Best to just keep to ourselves and find lots of things to do outside the area. Good security system, so that helps. Worst part is that other neighbors have now started listing their houses for sale and they are willing to take a loss, or if the property sits on market too long, they will go section 8 with it.
Cycle then repeats further down the street....

Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 AM

17,947 posts, read 14,203,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic1 View Post
We are just starting on a large privacy fence- that's about the best we can do. We are friendly, but not that close. The man won't even look you in the eye- he has this tough thug image to maintain, the way he yells and curses and screamed at the cops when they were taking him... I don't even want anything to do with him, since he won't ever say hi back. Just ignores you, or spits.
Understand, I didn't move there to be a social worker- that's close to what I do for a living and I moved to get away from this kind of behavior. Not to have to help somebody develop the most basic of social skills. Also, since they both have violent documented behaviors, why would I want to put myself in the crosshairs? Best to just keep to ourselves and find lots of things to do outside the area. Good security system, so that helps. Worst part is that other neighbors have now started listing their houses for sale and they are willing to take a loss, or if the property sits on market too long, they will go section 8 with it.
Cycle then repeats further down the street....
No matter where you move you could move right into another situation like this. There was a recent editorial program on TV about the rising drug use in one Massachusetts town (I did not find that link) but I did find this link: https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic...658/heroin.htm. More and more people are becoming addicted to drugs. Unfortunately this can be a nightmare to anybody trying to maintain their property and trying to follow the rule of law. These users and abusers don't care about their property or yours. Also we cannot afford to lock up half of our population - we already have too many in jail.

In my experience people do not change until they bottom out. Of course I am not any professional. But in my 69 years I have seen many that dropped out of society. Many stay there and do not make it back. Some, when they realize everything they lost; will make a recovery - but only they can come to that decision and they cannot be 'talked' into doing the right thing.

That said: Good luck! Hopefully, for you, they will go too far and then get locked up for a long time.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 3,188,017 times
FINALLY got an old couple who moved in next to me. Before that it was a revolving door of low lifes. I even had to call the cops on one messed up woman with too many kids and one of her abusive husbands. The suburbs are looking better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
View detailed profiles of: