Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 6,991 times

Advertisements

I started teaching in Maryland (Baltimore) but am looking to settle in York county because of affordability (student loans, etc.) Me and my wife have two boys who will be kindergarten age in a few years. I'm thinking will purchase a townhouse or small single family home as a starter home until the kids reached middle school. Three schools/areas I am considering are Suburban, Dallastown, and Southern. Suburban/Dallastown seem to have best housing options in our price range so it will probably come down to them (although I will continue to look at Southern school properties). Anyway, looking for opinions from locals on these three districts and pro/cons of each (outside of commute). Me and my wife are both from PA, but a few hours north of Harrisburg so we do not know much about the York area. Thanks for any information/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 AM

121 posts, read 258,728 times
I think Dallastown gets the best ratings, but if student population size is a concern, York Suburban is a smaller district. Honestly, all the districts in the county outside of York City and Hanover are of the "get out what you put in" variety. Some districts have higher ratings than others, but overall all the districts are safe and clean outside of the two I mentioned, you can't really go wrong with any.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,991 times
Thanks, all three do have good ratings but wanted to get the opinion of those living in the area. Red Lion also has decent townhouse developments but I did not like their rating (not sure why they are rated lower). Suburban outlines York city, are there areas within that district that you would not consider safe due to it's proximity to city? Thanks again

Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 PM

121 posts, read 258,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdteacher View Post
Thanks, all three do have good ratings but wanted to get the opinion of those living in the area. Red Lion also has decent townhouse developments but I did not like their rating (not sure why they are rated lower). Suburban outlines York city, are there areas within that district that you would not consider safe due to it's proximity to city? Thanks again
No, York Suburban encompasses all the affluent neighborhoods just to the east and south of the city. Its all nice, middle class and higher suburbs. A lot of doctors from the hospital reside in that district, its definitely one of the more "rich" districts in the area.

I also wouldn't hesitate about Red Lion either, like I said, as long as you avoid York City SD, all the districts are clean and safe, none of them would hinder your educational goals if you're an involved parent.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,927,833 times
Suburban gets the rankings, but they are also stretched financially and will likely have to eliminate positions or programs. Dallastown is a huge district and is financially better off because of their size and tax structure (Suburban is landlocked, no more building and the largest companies are the two hospitals that don't pay taxes). Red Lion is a great district, if there is an emphasis on education in the home and the students are in school each day, the quality of education is grossly under rated for Red Lion. I used to live in the district and know many kids who went to Penn State, Princeton, the Air Force Academy, University of Pitt, etc. Many of the "kids of the 90's" products of Red Lion are now physicians, dentists, college professors, teachers, coaches and have ended up in very successful careers. The competitiveness is less evident in Red Lion, as is the divide of the "have's and have nots" which is more recognizable in York Suburban. Dallastown and Red Lion are just huge districts, your child's best friend could be a 20 minute drive away, and often the bus rides are long for students who have to ride the bus. I would concentrate on finding the best house for your family in either of those districts and you'll be okay. York Suburban includes parts of Spring Garden Township and Springettsbury Township, Dallastown include York Township and Dallastown Borough, and as far south as Loganville and Glen Rock. Red Lion include the Windsor Township, Collinsville, Yoe, and Red Lion.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 AM

60 posts, read 52,230 times
Any new info on this thread since we are now in 2017?

I'm looking for good schools but am not familiar with the towns. I only kind of know about the exits off of 83. lol What exit would the Dallastown area be? And what are the schools hours like and what are daycare center costs like?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,927,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestteach View Post
Any new info on this thread since we are now in 2017?

I'm looking for good schools but am not familiar with the towns. I only kind of know about the exits off of 83. lol What exit would the Dallastown area be? And what are the schools hours like and what are daycare center costs like?
The Dallastown School district starts at Glen Rock, and extends to Queen Street. At north Queen Street (Rt. 74), after getting off the interstate and heading towards York, you mesh with Suburban School District. In/around the Queen Street Plaza (Weis/BonTon/Movie Theatre) is Dallastown, even though York Suburban is a stone's throw away. South on 74 and behind the Giant/South Pauline area is Dallastown. You should be able to google a school district map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area