U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 27,358 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on areas best to raise a family in a reasonable commute, 30-35 minutes max?. Looking to fine a home between 350-400K. Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM

3,521 posts, read 8,453,082 times
Do you prefer town living or suburban living?

In non-rush hour conditions, Harrisburg and York are a little bit less than 30 minutes apart. Traffic into Harrisburg is considerably worse than into York during rush hours, so if you lived between the two cities somewhere along the I-83 corridor, you'd probably be better off living closer to Harrisburg.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 27,358 times
I definately prefer the suburbs. Schools are important I have two young children wo are not even in school yet so I am keeping the future in mind. I am ok living closer to Harrisburg. Do you have any better areas I should consider first?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:24 AM

16 posts, read 68,052 times
With your price range there are plenty of possibilities. There are a lot of beautiful homes in the northern york are like mt wolf north eastern highschool and northern there are also a lot of communities with buyer incentives that would be able to get you into a home in as little as 6 months if you have any questions please e mail me.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,290,420 times
Your price range lends itself to MANY nice areas. If looking at a map, anything north of route 30 and within easy access to 83 would be suitable. There are many nice homes in the Northeastern School district and Central York school district. York might be a good choice because of all of the other things to participate in, as opposed to some of the other areas where you will have to drive for a mall, MD offices, hospitals etc. Schools are generally good or excellent (except the city ones), and we have just about every fast food, formulary food establishment, lots of grocery stores, furniture stores, parks, golf courses, swim clubs-whatever you need!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,268,402 times
I would chose the "west shore" area of Harrisburg, which has easy access to York via I-83. Towns to look at include New Cumberland, Camp Hill, Lower Allen township, Upper Allen township Lemoyne. All those areas are very close to amenities like shopping and schools, versus northern York county where you are going to have to drive to get to everything.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM

26 posts, read 78,488 times
I too am a fan of the west shore area but in addition, you should check out Lewisberry/Etters area. That would be a good "in between" location between York and Harrisburg. The West Shore School District is decent as well. You can check out the reports at SchoolMatters - Home.

When is the big move?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM

97 posts, read 317,961 times
I am giong to cast a vote for the Etters / Lewisberry area.You can find some wide open suburbs there. your commute would be well within the 30 min. Also housing in this area is nice and you maybe can get away with $250 to $300. I am happy to send you some listings and tax info if you want.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM

347 posts, read 1,074,799 times
With the new WalMart that is planned for the Valley Green area I would not recommend that particular area. The quality of living is good but I just can't imagine it will be as good when the Walmart comes in. Bright lights and traffic are never good when you want to sit back and relax at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area