U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,551 times

Advertisements

When are you moving?
Didn't get the job offer yet but probably the end of September
Where are you coming from?
North Carolina
Why are you moving?
I might get offered a job
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?
This will be our first time in PA

Will you buy or rent? I will buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? We're looking for a house and can spend less than 300k.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married with 2 boys (5 and 2)
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public school
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Don't need but nice to have
Are you keeping a car? I have two cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Safe and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work (Mechanicsburg, PA)
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I have no preference, just a safe neighborhood for my kids play outside.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? No preference
[LEFT]
This move will be permanent and I hope to find a good neighborhood to raise my lovely boys. Any help would be greatly appreciated from the community.

Regards,
T

[/LEFT]
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,003,857 times
Of all areas around Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg seems to fit your needs the best. Mechanicsburg is considered the most upscale of Harrisburg suburbs, and it has all the amenities that come with that title.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 AM

628 posts, read 427,072 times
Mechanicsburg is a beautiful area. The area as a whole is sometimes referred to as the "West Shore". My wife and I live on the "East Shore", but we both have family who live in and around Mechanicsburg and we visit them often to go swimming, have cook-outs, and for the holidays. We all go to the same church too. My wife and I go shopping and out to eat on the Carlisle Pike - a commercial strip running from Carlisle to Camp Hill - it is awesome! Having lived in central PA my whole life, I can tell you that Mechanicsburg is one of the nicest and fastest-growing areas in the region. Here you are close to major interstates, other cities, and it is still relatively rural with lots of open land and farmland. My grandparents grew up in Mechanicsburg and tell me about how much it has changed over time. They are proud of this area. There are many new houses and townhouse developments going in on the West Shore right now all over, and it is a growing community with lots of job opportunities. The West Shore is doing well, and the East Shore is doing well too.

I will tell you that it is a bit more expensive to buy real estate on the West Shore than it is pretty much anywhere else on the East Shore (except for Hershey). The actual towns of Mechanicsburg and Carlisle have some older houses that are somewhat cheap, but may need some upgrades. But, taxes are lower on the West Shore from what I hear. Also, the West Shore tends to be a bit more conservative (Trump was just here to visit), and the East Shore tends to be a bit more liberal (Hillary was just in Harrisburg).

BTW Cumberland Valley (CV) School District is rated as one of the best school districts. All of my cousins attended CV from grades K-12 and received great educations (they are all now attending local colleges). CV is a large SD though, as the graduating classes are about 700-800 students. CV is having a dilemma because they need to add a new elementary school as enrollment is through the roof due to so many people with families and kids moving into the area! There are other good school districts too such as West Shore, Camp Hill, and East Pennsboro. My wife attended West Shore and loved it. She still has many friends from school.

In reality the East Shore and West Shore are one urban area starting in Carlisle in the west running to Palmyra in the east. Harrisburg is sort of in the middle on the East Shore. Overall the Harrisburg area is the 4th largest in PA at about 500K people. Although the city itself is less than 50K, the suburbs and surrounding towns are very extensive. There is a beltway that serves the region made up of I-81, I-83, and PA-581. You pretty have all amenities that go along with a mid-size city area. You are also relatively close to major cities like:

Baltimore = 1 hour 15 min
Philadelphia = 1 hour 45 min
DC = 2 hours
(you can do these in a day trip, DC is a bit of a stretch)

NY = 3 hours
Pittsburgh = 3 hours

Also York, Lancaster, and Reading PA are within 30-45 minutes. If you are a Penn State fan State College is about 1 hour 30 minutes away.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Of all areas around Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg seems to fit your needs the best. Mechanicsburg is considered the most upscale of Harrisburg suburbs, and it has all the amenities that come with that title.
Thank you for your insights, we hope to get the letter soon!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Mechanicsburg is a beautiful area. The area as a whole is sometimes referred to as the "West Shore". My wife and I live on the "East Shore", but we both have family who live in and around Mechanicsburg and we visit them often to go swimming, have cook-outs, and for the holidays. We all go to the same church too. My wife and I go shopping and out to eat on the Carlisle Pike - a commercial strip running from Carlisle to Camp Hill - it is awesome! Having lived in central PA my whole life, I can tell you that Mechanicsburg is one of the nicest and fastest-growing areas in the region. Here you are close to major interstates, other cities, and it is still relatively rural with lots of open land and farmland. My grandparents grew up in Mechanicsburg and tell me about how much it has changed over time. They are proud of this area. There are many new houses and townhouse developments going in on the West Shore right now all over, and it is a growing community with lots of job opportunities. The West Shore is doing well, and the East Shore is doing well too.

I will tell you that it is a bit more expensive to buy real estate on the West Shore than it is pretty much anywhere else on the East Shore (except for Hershey). The actual towns of Mechanicsburg and Carlisle have some older houses that are somewhat cheap, but may need some upgrades. But, taxes are lower on the West Shore from what I hear. Also, the West Shore tends to be a bit more conservative (Trump was just here to visit), and the East Shore tends to be a bit more liberal (Hillary was just in Harrisburg).

BTW Cumberland Valley (CV) School District is rated as one of the best school districts. All of my cousins attended CV from grades K-12 and received great educations (they are all now attending local colleges). CV is a large SD though, as the graduating classes are about 700-800 students. CV is having a dilemma because they need to add a new elementary school as enrollment is through the roof due to so many people with families and kids moving into the area! There are other good school districts too such as West Shore, Camp Hill, and East Pennsboro. My wife attended West Shore and loved it. She still has many friends from school.

In reality the East Shore and West Shore are one urban area starting in Carlisle in the west running to Palmyra in the east. Harrisburg is sort of in the middle on the East Shore. Overall the Harrisburg area is the 4th largest in PA at about 500K people. Although the city itself is less than 50K, the suburbs and surrounding towns are very extensive. There is a beltway that serves the region made up of I-81, I-83, and PA-581. You pretty have all amenities that go along with a mid-size city area. You are also relatively close to major cities like:

Baltimore = 1 hour 15 min
Philadelphia = 1 hour 45 min
DC = 2 hours
(you can do these in a day trip, DC is a bit of a stretch)

NY = 3 hours
Pittsburgh = 3 hours

Also York, Lancaster, and Reading PA are within 30-45 minutes. If you are a Penn State fan State College is about 1 hour 30 minutes away.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thank you for the detailed response and I have heard nothing but great things about Mechanicsburg. Thank you for the bringing up the school, it's good to know my boys will get a good education in Cumberland. We're now waiting for the letter of employment and will be off to our next chapter in our life.

Thank you both for the responses!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Default Looking to relocate - job in Mechanicsburg

What are some surrounding rural areas to look at that are approximately a 30 min commute or less?
I am looking to rent a house, apartment or trailer (would prefer a standalone home over an apartment). Bonus points if it includes horse facilities with the rental. I do not want to pay a fortune for rent while I look for a home to buy. Any help with areas to search would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:12 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,003,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesunbeam View Post
What are some surrounding rural areas to look at that are approximately a 30 min commute or less?
I am looking to rent a house, apartment or trailer (would prefer a standalone home over an apartment). Bonus points if it includes horse facilities with the rental. I do not want to pay a fortune for rent while I look for a home to buy. Any help with areas to search would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm... Maybe Duncannon (north of Harrisburg), Carlisle (west of Harrisburg), or Boiling Springs (near Carlisle) would fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area