Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 PM

102 posts, read 161,078 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are from NJ and are truly considering the possibility of relocation. We are simply out priced of N.J (for awhile now), and have been considering a move for a few years.

We have heard various, varying stories about N.J people moving to PA. Some have had good experiences, others, changed their minds, missed NJ and moved back.

We love our state, and we'd be the first to share how many great things there are to NJ, (the topography of the land, the shore, and many fine eateries are just some solid examples; as well as a well-educated populous, and quality amenities for shopping and good healthcare.)

But this being said, the cost of living is grueling, the taxes, are, well, fairly awful, and there doesn't really seem to be a let up to the flat lined economy here since about 2008. (Except for, maybe a small pocket of fields of endeavor we're not a part of.) I say this, not as a complaint, so do not read it as whining

We are degreed people, and would bring our jobs with us, which pay well under 75k, part of why we feel we need to leave.

We don't have a big list of other reasons to stay, in terms of extended family, and will miss NJ, no doubt. But the cost of living is just pretty relentless, and, since we don't plan on moving South, (or to the Dakotas), we were wondering about PA.

Recently I read somewhere here that a person from NJ got some real flack after a move to PA and that the people there really don't like transplants from NJ. Which seems a bit odd, since we are not really talking about a move from two very different sections on the nation's map. (Not that folks should do that wherever they are, but, in any case...)

I know that asking this question I will get highly subjective feedback, but I need to ask, has anyone you've known, you or others you've known, moved from NJ (or even tri-state NY area) to PA and loved it?

What area are you in and why has the move been a great thing for you? Are there defining things about your area that make it better than NJ/NY for you? Are there any good similarities both states share, in your opinion?

How about the folks who left NJ and just didn't like PA, (for whatever reason), and left? Can you detail where and why?

We are also concerned about environmental issues, for example, we know there had been nuclear fallout on the Eastern portions of PA. 'Though the land is lovely, this would discourage us from, perhaps, considering. Do you personally know much about that issue in PA that you can speak of?

We have heard of people making mistakes of a lifetime and left NJ with little recourse, because they didn't have much $ when they left and had little to none to move back with.

We have also read stories of glory and success, as droves of others seem to drive down to South Jersey and don't pass go till they reach the Carolina line.

I don't expect that part of the country will be on our possible places to move plan, though it may be a nice place to see sometime.

Here's an interesting story which is very well written, by a man who left NJ, for, actually, Mississippi.

His is a poignant tale about what many experience over here. Some details in his, and his Dad's, story may vary.

High-Tax States, Low-Tax States -- Guess Which Are Gaining Population? | National Review

It really is becoming a genuine possibility, our needing to move. Just to add, if the place is within a few hours drive of beaches, all the better, but not required.

If you couldn't afford to stay in NJ but liked their amenities, where would you go? (Assuming you had pretty low cash flow)

Thanks, in advance, to any and all who reply.

p.s. I sent this same post to different sections of PA, on these boards, as PA is a pretty big state, and we need some comprehensive feedback, since not all sections are the same. You'd be providing a family a great kindness to share any or all of your experience.

Thanks again :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area