Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 PM

102 posts, read 161,908 times

Advertisements

Hello,

(not sure why this posted twice to Harrisburg..only posted in once..could you pls remove the duplicate? TY!!! &nbsp

We are from NJ and are truly considering the possibility of relocation. We are simply out priced of N.J (for awhile now), and have been considering a move for a few years.

We have heard various, varying stories about N.J people moving to PA. Some have had good experiences, others, changed their minds, missed NJ and moved back.

We love our state, and we'd be the first to share how many great things there are to NJ, (the topography of the land, the shore, and many fine eateries are just some solid examples; as well as a well-educated populous, and quality amenities for shopping and good healthcare.)

But this being said, the cost of living is grueling, the taxes, are, well, fairly awful, and there doesn't really seem to be a let up to the flat lined economy here since about 2008. (Except for, maybe a small pocket of fields of endeavor we're not a part of.) I say this, not as a complaint, so do not read it as whining

We are degreed people, and would bring our jobs with us, which pay well under 75k, part of why we feel we need to leave.

We don't have a big list of other reasons to stay, in terms of extended family, and will miss NJ, no doubt. But the cost of living is just pretty relentless, and, since we don't plan on moving South, (or to the Dakotas), we were wondering about PA.

Recently I read somewhere here that a person from NJ got some real flack after a move to PA and that the people there really don't like transplants from NJ. Which seems a bit odd, since we are not really talking about a move from two very different sections on the nation's map. (Not that folks should do that wherever they are, but, in any case...)

I know that asking this question I will get highly subjective feedback, but I need to ask, has anyone you've known, you or others you've known, moved from NJ (or even tri-state NY area) to PA and loved it?

What area are you in and why has the move been a great thing for you? Are there defining things about your area that make it better than NJ/NY for you? Are there any good similarities both states share, in your opinion?

How about the folks who left NJ and just didn't like PA, (for whatever reason), and left? Can you detail where and why?

We are also concerned about environmental issues, for example, we know there had been nuclear fallout on the Eastern portions of PA. 'Though the land is lovely, this would discourage us from, perhaps, considering. Do you personally know much about that issue in PA that you can speak of?

We have heard of people making mistakes of a lifetime and left NJ with little recourse, because they didn't have much $ when they left and had little to none to move back with.

We have also read stories of glory and success, as droves of others seem to drive down to South Jersey and don't pass go till they reach the Carolina line.

I don't expect that part of the country will be on our possible places to move plan, though it may be a nice place to see sometime.

Here's an interesting story which is very well written, by a man who left NJ, for, actually, Mississippi.

His is a poignant tale about what many experience over here. Some details in his, and his Dad's, story may vary.

High-Tax States, Low-Tax States -- Guess Which Are Gaining Population? | National Review

It really is becoming a genuine possibility, our needing to move. Just to add, if the place is within a few hours drive of beaches, all the better, but not required.

If you couldn't afford to stay in NJ but liked their amenities, where would you go? (Assuming you had pretty low cash flow)

Thanks, in advance, to any and all who reply.

p.s. I sent this same post to different sections of PA, on these boards, as PA is a pretty big state, and we need some comprehensive feedback, since not all sections are the same. You'd be providing a family a great kindness to share any or all of your experience.

Thanks again :O)

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 08-29-2016 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: not sure why this posted twice to Harrisburg..only posted in once..could you pls remove the duplicate?:) TY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM

325 posts, read 368,416 times
I'm the opposite. Grew up outside York area and moved to South Jersey. Love being over the river from a major city and international airport. Just One hour from the shore, about 1.5 hours from NYC, Baltimore and DC within reach. What part of PA are you considering? I wouldn't recommend anything further south than northern VA, otherwise you'll be living in some pissant backwater. What kind of jobs do you need?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
What part of PA are you considering? I wouldn't recommend anything further south than northern VA, otherwise you'll be living in some pissant backwater. What kind of jobs do you need?
Thanks for the reply. We haven't really decided yet about specifics on PA.

The jobs have not been great or forthcoming to us here in NJ for awhile now.

We presently work remotely, but the pay is nominal. We both have degrees, but, it seems, except for a few fields, a lot of the jobs have left NJ. (Other than for those in jobs or fields where they have advanced degrees, or are pretty well established. Or, maybe they know someone who has helped them with job opportunities.)

Thanks for the tip about down South, 'though we really aren't looking there due to other reasons, (mostly weather, preference, and we've heard the Carolinas aren't so great for jobs either, in recent years.)

We're sure there are some nice places and good people in the South, it's just not really on our radar for our choice of possibilities.

As for PA, we haven't really decided yet. The place has to have good amenities, in terms of development, and like I shared, be more affordable than NJ, (which, sadly, is outrageously expensive..)

We love NJ, don't get me wrong, it's just becoming more of a cost burden, and, unfortunately, a place to, maybe, think about leaving, with little to no good work, and the weight of high cost of living.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 AM

325 posts, read 368,416 times
York has a Harley Davidson plant - good pay. Pittsburgh has a focus on the energy sector. Both areas have a low cost of living. Lancaster might be a good fit, too. What I liked about south of York (Shrewsbury) was the quick drive into Baltimore. BWI airport isn't THAT far, either. I would start with these areas first. If you're looking to be close to Philly, try Landsdale, harleysville, or Quakertown. The Lehigh valley (Allentown, Bethlehem) are good options as well. Are you looking for future employment opportunities? An artsy town? Big city? Middle of nowhere quietness?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times
Depends what you want. If you want a gritty city with good bones I would go Pittsburgh - it is a cool city. Philly, as you know, is going to be a lot like Jersey in many ways. Very busy, noisy city with lots to offer.

Allentown, Harrisburg, Lancaster, and Scranton are good mid-sized cities. They are PA's "third cities", meaning they are big enough to feel like decent-sized cities but are not as well known on the national level like Pgh and Philly are. They all have something to offer in the way of having an urban lifestyle, but only being an hour or less from rural areas.

There are a few other cities worth mentioning: York, Reading, Erie, and State College. PA has alot of small cities and rural areas. It just depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

PA is generally considered a swing state, so politically speaking there is always a clash on politics. Most of the cities proper vote D, with the rural areas voting R. Philly, Pittsburgh, Allentown, and Scranton metros tend to vote D, whereas Harrisburg and Lancaster metros tend to vote R. Northern, Central, and Western PA areas are very conservative.

PA is a beautiful state. Hopefully it doesn't get overpopulated, because we already have some great cities to be proud of (those mentioned above, and others).

Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
PA is a beautiful state. Hopefully it doesn't get overpopulated, because we already have some great cities to be proud of (those mentioned above, and others).
Agreed. Thnnks for your reply

Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 PM

Thank you for the feedback. We haven't really looked into all the employment info. about these areas, but appreciate the reply

Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM

15 posts, read 16,969 times
I have lived in South Central PA all my life with few exceptions (job-related living Manhattan and DC for a few years). There are a few factors you haven't mentioned that is highly critical in my estimation esp school wise...do you have any school age children? If not, then the sky is pretty much the limit with exception of the kind of work you do. Where I live is at the other end of the contimuum from NJ...esp cost of living wise. Some good ideas have been mentioned above. I live in the Franklin County area of PA. It is very low cost of living with many amenities and a big plus for someone like you, I would think, is that you are less than one hour from a Metro subway station to the DC and surrounding area. Being near DC for job purposes and/or cultural events is a major plus to living in the Franklin County, PA area. All the best on your decision.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
Raised smack dab in central NJ (Exit 9) and worked there until transferring to south central PA. PA was great! Cost of living was wonderful, everything affordable; biggest drop was the amount we paid for mortgage, utilities, auto/homeowners insurance and of course the taxes. Food and clothing and health insurance were all about the same. Less crowded, fewer cars, patient people, just a better and calmer pace of life. We both had good jobs and husband in worked several different management positions until we moved. After 23 years in PA, I retired from teaching. Would recommend many of the areas mentioned in previous posts~As far west as York is still only 1.5-2 hours to NJ or 4 hours to northern Jersey/NYC area. I always said it was a great move socioeconomically~we would have never been able to retire early had we stayed in NJ. We were able to plow money into IRA accounts without feeling the pinch of saving and accumulated comfortable nest eggs.

That being said, we ended up leaving because of the death tax. Since we have no dependents, the state would get 15% of our estate. There's no getting around it and regardless of having your money in trusts or other transfer on death arrangements, the state still gets 15%. We moved to the midwest to a more tax friendly state. We would have probably stayed in PA otherwise.

We still have lots of friends and family in the Jersey and Philly area, which we do miss~and we do get back often to visit so it's a doable situation for us to either drive or hop on a plane and take a trip out there for a few days. I don't miss the traffic in NJ AT ALL. I do miss the beaches and the proximity to NYC.

Just the other day, I had a conversation with a friend who is close to retirement in NJ as well. She is thinking of selling her home (one of the 10 best school districts and her home value is worth 3x what she paid for it 20 years ago) and moving to PA or Delaware because of the lower cost of living and home ownership. Many do it, very rarely do they return.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 PM

thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area