U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,321,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Welcome to the area! I'm a Chambersburg resident as well.

The manure thing only happens for a few weeks in the Fall, so fresh air will soon be coming our way.
Thank you very much! Glad to hear it goes away! 81 and 17 are my friends these days. I wish the GPS would stop trying to lead me down 95 and the Beltway. No matter what it says, that route adds an hour to my commute back to Fredericksburg.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:22 AM

4,074 posts, read 3,004,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Thank you very much! Glad to hear it goes away! 81 and 17 are my friends these days. I wish the GPS would stop trying to lead me down 95 and the Beltway. No matter what it says, that route adds an hour to my commute back to Fredericksburg.
Yeah, 81 isn't bad as far as highways go. That's one great thing about Chambersburg; it's not far from major metropolitan areas in the region.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Thank you, so what is the closest REAL mall. My wife went to the mall here and wasn't too impressed. The smell did largely go away....returns some days though. We moved on the Scotland side which is rural, but not very rural compared to my home in VA.

The GOOD:

People seem pretty normal here. I haven't encountered anyone stuck up yet besides people at work in New Cumberland who are extremely stuck up. I guess that is work for you. I like being able to drive on the highway with the flow of traffic at times without worrying about getting a reckless driving ticket. Police presence is much lower than back in Virginia, I don't feel worried about being pulled over in my fast red car just because I own own.

People keep to themselves around here even in a subdivision with close together homes. I really like that.

The BAD:

We are a bit annoyed about the school bus not coming to my home to pick up my children like it does in VA. I guess it is because I am renting a home in a subdivision. We drive the kids to school back and forth due to that. Unfortunately, we live between the schools so one school is North of us and the other is to the South of us. I watch in horror as parents let their 4 year olds walk half a mile to the bus stop willy nilly and all alone. Forget that. Also, the weird idling in your car for 20 minutes to get the kids in a long line of cars is weird. We used to be able to park the car, walk in, show ID and go pick the kids up.

The intersection of 997 and 11 is horrifying. If the light turns green on 997 the folks on the other end always seem to feel that they have the right away and I have had a few close ones.

If you are on 11 and caught behind someone at a green light, people use the turn lane to cut around you....I mean what if you don't see them doing it and keep going straight like you are supposed to?

All in all, not bad. I largely work from home so I can avoid all of this. It's the wife who has to go through most of this unfortunately.

FOOD: It seems like the only place that delivers is Italian food....don't get me wrong, they are GREAT but it gets old fast. We like Indian Food and the delivery place only agreed to deliver at odd hours because we were far away....HOWEVER we got our first 2 deliveries and they were awful. Tasted like Beef Stew that was horribly overpriced. Were ready to give up, but love Indian Food so much that we ended up giving it a 3rd attempt on another dish we love. Turns out, it was the best Indian Food we ever had.

Thanks everyone for helping, just thought that I'd give my honest feedback.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you, so what is the closest REAL mall. My wife went to the mall here and wasn't too impressed. The smell did largely go away....returns some days though. We moved on the Scotland side which is rural, but not very rural compared to my home in VA.

The GOOD:

People seem pretty normal here. I haven't encountered anyone stuck up yet besides people at work in New Cumberland who are extremely stuck up. I guess that is work for you. I like being able to drive on the highway with the flow of traffic at times without worrying about getting a reckless driving ticket. Police presence is much lower than back in Virginia, I don't feel worried about being pulled over in my fast red car just because I own own.

People keep to themselves around here even in a subdivision with close together homes. I really like that.

The BAD:

We are a bit annoyed about the school bus not coming to my home to pick up my children like it does in VA. I guess it is because I am renting a home in a subdivision. We drive the kids to school back and forth due to that. Unfortunately, we live between the schools so one school is North of us and the other is to the South of us. I watch in horror as parents let their 4 year olds walk half a mile to the bus stop willy nilly and all alone. Forget that. Also, the weird idling in your car for 20 minutes to get the kids in a long line of cars is weird. We used to be able to park the car, walk in, show ID and go pick the kids up.

The intersection of 997 and 11 is horrifying. If the light turns green on 997 the folks on the other end always seem to feel that they have the right away and I have had a few close ones.

If you are on 11 and caught behind someone at a green light, people use the turn lane to cut around you....I mean what if you don't see them doing it and keep going straight like you are supposed to?

All in all, not bad. I largely work from home so I can avoid all of this. It's the wife who has to go through most of this unfortunately.

FOOD: It seems like the only place that delivers is Italian food....don't get me wrong, they are GREAT but it gets old fast. We like Indian Food and the delivery place only agreed to deliver at odd hours because we were far away....HOWEVER we got our first 2 deliveries and they were awful. Tasted like Beef Stew that was horribly overpriced. Were ready to give up, but love Indian Food so much that we ended up giving it a 3rd attempt on another dish we love. Turns out, it was the best Indian Food we ever had.

Thanks everyone for helping, just thought that I'd give my honest feedback.
The closest "real" mall would be Valley Mall in Hagerstown, MD. It's an easy drive on I-81. It takes about 20 minutes to drive there from Chambersburg. Most Chambersburg residents shop in Hagerstown for stuff they can't find in Chambersburg. Hagerstown has two large shopping districts, so it's definitely something to check out.

The intersection at 997 and 11 should improve here in the coming months. Sheetz will be moved to the southwest corner of the intersection (where homes are boarded up), and I believe Greene Township has grant money to improve the intersection.

Did the Indian food come from India Cafe on Wayne Avenue? I've dined inside of that restaurant a few times and really liked it. They also offer a lunch buffet, so that's a good way to try new stuff. If you like Italian, I recommend Rosalie's Fabulous Grill on Scotland Avenue. It's kind of small and unimpressive from the outside, but they have excellent food inside.

It sounds like you're adjusting well, and I'm glad to hear it! As the economy improves, the area will start to grow again and new amenities will come with it. Back in the early-mid 2000's, Chambersburg was in rapid expansion mode (we moved here in 2006 from Michigan), and that's when the high school was renovated, YMCA was renovated, new elementary schools were built, Norland Avenue was developed, etc. I look forward to continual improvements happening like that again. There are a few projects in the works that make me think rapid growth is not far away again. For example, Chambersburg Borough Hall is being expanded, the county courthouse is being expanded, and a new waterpark is being built in Chambersburg's Municipal Park (and it looks quite elaborate considering the size of the town). It's funny that you mention the 997/11 intersection was well; Chambersburg Area School District owns a large plot of land on the southeast corner of that intersection for the construction of future schools, and because Greene Township is the fastest growing municipality in the area, I can foresee schools being built there in 5 or 10 years. Grandview Elementary appears to be next in line for renovations or complete relocation, so it could even potentially be built on that plot of land.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The closest "real" mall would be Valley Mall in Hagerstown, MD. It's an easy drive on I-81. It takes about 20 minutes to drive there from Chambersburg. Most Chambersburg residents shop in Hagerstown for stuff they can't find in Chambersburg. Hagerstown has two large shopping districts, so it's definitely something to check out.

The intersection at 997 and 11 should improve here in the coming months. Sheetz will be moved to the southwest corner of the intersection (where homes are boarded up), and I believe Greene Township has grant money to improve the intersection.

Did the Indian food come from India Cafe on Wayne Avenue? I've dined inside of that restaurant a few times and really liked it. They also offer a lunch buffet, so that's a good way to try new stuff. If you like Italian, I recommend Rosalie's Fabulous Grill on Scotland Avenue. It's kind of small and unimpressive from the outside, but they have excellent food inside.

It sounds like you're adjusting well, and I'm glad to hear it! As the economy improves, the area will start to grow again and new amenities will come with it. Back in the early-mid 2000's, Chambersburg was in rapid expansion mode (we moved here in 2006 from Michigan), and that's when the high school was renovated, YMCA was renovated, new elementary schools were built, Norland Avenue was developed, etc. I look forward to continual improvements happening like that again. There are a few projects in the works that make me think rapid growth is not far away again. For example, Chambersburg Borough Hall is being expanded, the county courthouse is being expanded, and a new waterpark is being built in Chambersburg's Municipal Park (and it looks quite elaborate considering the size of the town). It's funny that you mention the 997/11 intersection was well; Chambersburg Area School District owns a large plot of land on the southeast corner of that intersection for the construction of future schools, and because Greene Township is the fastest growing municipality in the area, I can foresee schools being built there in 5 or 10 years. Grandview Elementary appears to be next in line for renovations or complete relocation, so it could even potentially be built on that plot of land.
Wanted to say thank you for your post and for the info! Sorry to be so slow. The Indian food does come from Wayne Avenue.

Have done well here. It has been a pretty good change.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Wanted to say thank you for your post and for the info! Sorry to be so slow. The Indian food does come from Wayne Avenue.

Have done well here. It has been a pretty good change.
I'm very glad to hear that you like the area!

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm very glad to hear that you like the area!
Thank you Dequindre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area