U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,070 times

Advertisements

I am going to going to the Hershey Medical Center for work starting near August and my fiance and I will be moving from Southern NH to the Hershey area. We looked at homes last week and were stunned at how different the area is from New England. Are there any areas that are rural but not clear cut? I hate the idea of not having some privacy but it seems that most of the homes are jam-packed together (condos and single family homes) with no trees and in a lot of cases, no back yards or fields other than farmland. Are there areas within about half an hour of Hershey (maybe a little bit more) that aren't clear cut and have homes built?
Does any one know about buying land and building? Does PA have any regulations against manufactured homes (not trailers, but 2 story modulars)?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM

1,563 posts, read 4,079,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMueller22 View Post
I am going to going to the Hershey Medical Center for work starting near August and my fiance and I will be moving from Southern NH to the Hershey area. We looked at homes last week and were stunned at how different the area is from New England. Are there any areas that are rural but not clear cut? I hate the idea of not having some privacy but it seems that most of the homes are jam-packed together (condos and single family homes) with no trees and in a lot of cases, no back yards or fields other than farmland. Are there areas within about half an hour of Hershey (maybe a little bit more) that aren't clear cut and have homes built?
Does any one know about buying land and building? Does PA have any regulations against manufactured homes (not trailers, but 2 story modulars)?

Thanks!
I'd recommend using google maps and use the satelite function, you'll be able to see what areas are forested to your liking, and which arent.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 71,008 times
Zoning regulations regarding manufactured homes vary by local governmental entity, there are no statewide regulations. PA is a major manufacturer of manufactured homes. If you want trees, look for hilly terrain.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 42,847 times
from what i know, that area is in a sort of valley, and to the north and south of harisburg there are forested like mountain areas.

That's the thing about PA. If it's flat. expect farms. If it's mountainous - You've got some Woods.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,071 times
I'm starting a nursing job at Hershey in June & I've been looking for areas like that also. I've lived in Harrisburg before & grew up about an hour north in a small town rural area. You might want to look at Halifax & Elizabethville, they are both somewhat rural areas & not too far from Hershey. Hope this helps! If you need any more info send me a message.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,634,255 times
There are MANY wooded areas near Harrisburg, though generally speaking you don't have that many areas where you have houses built in heavy tree areas. As was noted above, the most obvious wooded areas are in the mountains just north of Harrisburg.

Incidentally, the immediate Harrisburg area (i.e. within 10 miles of downtown Harrisburg) definitely is not rural, though there are rural-feeling pockets. That's why most of the lots are fairly small; Harrisburg is a decent-sized area.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM

956 posts, read 3,840,782 times
Try the area around Mount Gretna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area