U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 11:42 AM

19 posts, read 35,890 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to live if they want to escape centipedes and daddy long leggers? Anyone have good ideas about which apartment complexes and condos are the best?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 AM

345 posts, read 230,680 times
I don't know exactly but I can give you some pointers.

Newer buildings are less likely to have infestations of centipedes and cellar spiders. I'm assuming that's what you are talking about when you say daddy long legs: those basement dwellers with the messy webs that have teensy bodies but super long legs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

Also look for places not so close to the water, although I used to live about three blocks from the Susquehanna in downtown Harrisburg and never saw a centipede.

Drier places with central air and heating that are newer and don't have a lot of vegetation around them are least likely to have house centipedes and cellar spiders

Also, if you clean on a regular basis you can avoid cellar spiders nesting in your apartment. You can also get traps. Peppermint oil also works if you spray it in the corners or crevices.

All of this being said, the only way you will really avoid either species is by living in the icy tundra. They are common insects. Your best bet is to keep your place clean to avoid leaving food sources for them , and get to over the psychological fear you have of them. As creepy as they are (cellar spiders never bothered me much but house centipedes are creepy AF) they are harmless and want far less to do with you, which they perceive as an enormous and deadly creature hundreds of times their size, than you do with them.

The only reason they even show up is because they have a food source. They can't see you until you are on top of them chasing them with a rolled up newspaper. Otherwise they would steer clear of us.

House centipedes are actually beneficial insects that will eat other pests like roaches and spiders. Cellar spiders will also eat insects like flies, but their webs are messy and they can be annoying. They aren't going to hurt you.

Trust me: I spent a couple of weeks this summer with my lights on 24/7 because I saw a couple of centipedes in my apartment. Then I read up on them and realized it was all in my head. They still aren't my favorite things and I would be cool if I never saw one again, but I'm not going to lose my mind over it anymore. There are far worse things to worry about in the world than nuisance insects.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 35,890 times
Thank you for your help. The places I have lived all had infestations. You could be sitting in a chair one minute, and the next a house centipedes would be up your leg. There were tons of them every single day. One day we saw a centipede that was so big crawl into our chair. It had to be about four inches long and three inches wide. Very hard to get used to--All of those places were in Camp Hill, Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area