U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM

3,583 posts, read 3,180,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Theres way too much info that we're not getting here. This doesnt pass the smell test to me.
Same here. It reads like a bad spam email and has a definite odor. You can't lose your home to squatters unless you let them live there for whatever time period the adverse possession period for your state is (10-20 years). If someone moves into your home while you are away, some states might require you to go through an eviction process and you might have damage claims against the squatter. Other states may treat that as a criminal trespass and forcibly evict them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM

11,578 posts, read 4,992,304 times
This is a bunch of BS! First if someone is in my home "changed locks" is not going to stop me from getting in there and getting them out! Second, you didn't rent to them so there's no lease. You're trying to tell me that the police or a lawyer can't get them out? How about some guy with muscles? They can't prove they own the place, but your friend can. And I'm sorry, but stuck in another country? Either this is a troll thread or your friend is incredibly stupid!

Last edited by CGab; 04-29-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM

9,299 posts, read 7,795,599 times
You see this.. It's my "boom stick...". Err.... It's my eviction papers....

Old 04-29-2017, 04:06 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,370,994 times
Let me throw a true one your way.

15 years ago my dad sold a house he owned to a dentist. The Dentist has been through a divorce, etc. but had a small down payment so my dad sold him the house with a 5 year balloon interest-only loan.

The loan was never called - but the guy kept paying every money and this went on for 10 years. The relationship was friendly and the buyer would occasionally inquire about the balance (maybe he found a better interest rate).

Fast forward to last year. A slick lawyer gets ahold of the Dentist and tells him he doesn't owe my dad a dime (mort was 75K) because my dad didn't refile the mortgage. In fact, he points to a law where it can be possible to "grab back" a lot of the money paid in already since the time period of the mortgage expired long ago.

This despite the mortgage and loan papers being full filed in the county, etc - that is, the loan shows up with any search

Does that pass the smell test?

In case you think it doesn't - they went to the first arbitration meeting with a retired and very knowledgeable judge and he indicated he's likely to invalidate the mortgage. Costs started adding up (non-binding arbitration can be very expensive when combined with the lawyers fees). Also, my dad now lives out of state and they wanted him to show up for every meeting.

My dad took my advice and settled for 22K (out of 75). But, please, never believe that a certified check, a bank wire or even a mortgage means solid cash....

Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 PM

12,599 posts, read 22,523,856 times
This entire scenario was posted a while back... I call b.s. as well.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 PM

23,810 posts, read 11,069,269 times
I don't know who these mayors are, or what town this is (the Lawstreet link doesn't work), but each state has eviction procedures, and though a squatter can make your life difficult for a while, they cannot own your property unless many many requirements are met, which would indicate an owner long gone.

Squatters Rights and How To Evict Them | LandLordStation.com

Brazilian Squatter Claims Ownership of $2.5 Million Florida Mansion But Bank of America is Filing Lawsuit | TIME.com

Florida Adverse Possession Laws - FindLaw

https://lieserskaff.com/getting-rid-...-florida-home/

Old 04-29-2017, 06:12 PM

727 posts, read 537,843 times
Harrisburg, PA. is the town in question.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:29 PM

9,251 posts, read 4,529,769 times
with eminent domain and abandoned homes, its a wonder that a homeowner can sleep at night.

I seriously wondered when traveling thru some back hills area....if most are squatters making the best of having a roof over their heads.

Not really much law enforcement or tax collecting in some areas. I can see how it can happen.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 PM

17,200 posts, read 12,447,251 times
It can be a problem. The military started giving information about it during pre-deployment briefings because of this case: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...210607842.html

Old 04-29-2017, 08:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 4,037,651 times
I know of a Nigerian website that will send him some money.

Last edited by Marka; 05-05-2017 at 04:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area