U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM

725 posts, read 536,997 times

Advertisements

The following happened to a friend of mine. He is trapped in Peru, SA with no money to return and reclaim his home:

Most people have no idea that SQUATTERS can steal your home! It doesn't happen often, but when it does & you LOSE YOUR HOME - it becomes a major life-changing event.
Below is an informative article on SQUATTING & believe me - it can happen to YOU! It has been almost 9 years since I gave the keys to my home to a person to do repairs while I had an extended visit with friends. When I returned, he had changed the locks & moved his entire family into my home. The police refuse to evict them as the squatters have aninfluential/politically powerful attorney advising them, plus I was very critical of a previous mayor - Stephen Reed. He is now facing 499 criminal charges as per PennLive.com. This is not fiction; this is REAL LIFE!
http://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/law...atters-rights/
PennLive article on S. Reed (criminal charges add up to 2,439 years)! Can you imagine what I was up against then & now?
Reed charges allow for 2,439-year prison sentence | PennLive.com
I have suffered from severe anxiety & depression since 1980. I tried to work for 20 years, but eventually had to apply for SS Disability. I barely survive on a $954 monthly check & have no savings. I don't have the money to go to court to get MY OWN HOME back, especially as I have to pay rent for an apartment I shouldn't need & don't want. The US needs laws passed similar to that of the UK in 2012 that makes SQUATTING illegal; with a penalty of prison and/or a substantial fine.
Please don't think it can not happen to you or a family member/friend, These squatters are ILLEGAL TRESPASSERS & should have been evicted by the police. Why hasn't this happened & why does this issue continue?

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Marka; 05-05-2017 at 04:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 PM

906 posts, read 637,419 times
It's called adverse possession I believe. Thanks for the info post. Hope it creates the change you are seeking...

Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 PM

5,469 posts, read 2,173,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
he is trapped in peru, sa with no money to return and reclaim his home:
bs.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 PM

7,639 posts, read 9,540,723 times
Quote:
The following happened to a friend of mine. He is trapped in Peru, SA with no money to return and reclaim his home:
Is this supposed to be a first-person account from your "friend" in Peru? How can someone living in Peru be handcuffed and arrested by a local PA Mayor?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 PM

725 posts, read 536,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Is this supposed to be a first-person account from your "friend" in Peru? How can someone living in Peru be handcuffed and arrested by a local PA Mayor?
All that happened before he moved to Peru.
He has no choice but to continue living in Peru because he has no money to move back.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:33 AM

16,857 posts, read 21,904,306 times
Quote:
All that happened before he moved to Peru.
He has no choice but to continue living in Peru because he has no money to move back.
Except that he is only legally allowed to remain in Peru under a 'rentista' visa if he has an income of more than $1000/mo.

And in case anybody else was curious about the 500 charges against Stephen Reed, the AG who filed the charges was Kathleen Kane who was later disbarred (from unrelated issues.)

He eventually pled guilty to 19 charges related to theft of Civil War artifacts with a value of $19k. http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/01...ncart_election

OP - plane tickets from Philly to Lima can be purchased for around $500 round trip.

Frankly, I'm in agreement with Jonesg.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-29-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-29-2017, 11:42 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,907,130 times
Theres way too much info that we're not getting here. This doesnt pass the smell test to me.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:49 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,390,277 times
I always love the ones that begin with "a friend of mine"!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,211,418 times
This isn't making any sense to me.

Who is paying the taxes on this home, the utility bills, insurance, etc. Is there a mortgage ? Squatters have been there for years but paying nothing ?

We need more info.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:14 PM

2,681 posts, read 3,247,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Theres way too much info that we're not getting here. This doesnt pass the smell test to me.
I agree. The OP's post (and relevant links) are missing lots of obvious details to make a cogent conclusion and it mostly reads like a long-winded spammy rant. Laws regarding squatting is local usually by county, city or state ordinance.

One of my friends had a small condo in Florida in the early 2000s. My friend lived in Texas at the time and only went to her condo in Florida a few times a year. After sometime it remaining vacant, a squatter broke into the place took over the condo and from what I understand she had to pay thousands in legal fees to get the squatter removed. Then there was a huge mess to clean up since the squatter destroyed the interior of the property.

Last edited by maus; 04-29-2017 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: gr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area