U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,

New to this forum, but I've been reading many of the threads with much interest, since I'll be moving to the area with my family this summer. The deets:

When are you moving? June or July of this year
Where are you coming from? The ATL, baby (Atlanta, GA)
Why are you moving? Starting medical residency in Lebanon
Where will you be working?Good Sam Hospital in Lebanon, plus surrounding areas
Have you been here yet?Once; second trip coming up next week

Will you buy or rent?Open to both; residency is only 3 yrs, but who knows, we may end up staying
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?House, $200-250k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?Townhome, condo, or house if possible. Up to $1600
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?walkup

Are you married or single? Do you have children?married with 4 kids (11, 9, 4, 1yo)
Do you prefer public or private schools?public
Do you have pets?1 large dog, sadly too large for rental properties
Do you want or need a yard?would be nice
Are you keeping a car?bringing 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?me: quiet, open spaces; wife: more of a city girl

What do you want to be closest to?Great schools for the kids is top priority, but being close to Lancaster or Hershey also important for my wife's sanity. Also drivable distance to Lebanon/work.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?My wife and I are both 40yo, 2nd or 3rd gen Chinese-Americans, Christian. We're pretty much assimilated Americans, so no probs not having too many Asians around. However, we are concerned about our kids encountering prejudice in school, since that was my wife's experience growing up in the South, just because they look different from everyone else.

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles?Uhh, not a big baseball fan, so go Sixers?? go Eagles??

We've mainly been looking at South Lebanon, Cornwall, Manheim, Lititz, and Manheim Twp. I think Manheim is the geographic sweet spot, Lititz has the best schools, but real estate is kinda scarce in these areas so far.
Also, I'd like to hear a little more about rush hour traffic between Lancaster and Lebanon. I'm sure it's nothing like traffic in Atlanta, Seattle, or LA (all places where I've lived), but some of those 2-lane highways concern me, esp if there were to be an accident or bad weather conditions. BTW, do u need a vehicle with AWD in the winter? Or are snow tires good enough? (I've never lived in snow country, can u tell?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,726,549 times
Ha I'm sorta doing the opposite. I'm from Atlanta (Snellville) and graduating in May and heading back home.

I've heard to stay away from Manheim but Manheim Township is pretty nice. BTW, there's no such thing as an unincorporated area like in GA. At minimum you'll be in a township so get used to being confused.

I know more about the Lancaster area so I'll comment on that. The city can be pretty interesting and has events. It's fairly safe in the downtown area and towards F&M College and there's a good mix of people. BUT, the schools are pretty bad in the city which is why you'd want to be in Manheim Twp. Plus there's a lot of shopping where 30 and 283 converge including a half decent mall.

As for driving, you won't find an analog to 285 and rush hour pretty much ends at 6 pm. But, I find a lot of the roads (especially near me) are underbuilt and speed limits are quite low. I'm just over 4 miles from downtown Lancaster but it often takes me over 15 minutes because of two lane roads with no center turn lane, low speed limits, a lot of poorly timed lights, and drivers that like to do 30 in a 40. In the country I often get stuck behind farm equipment and even horse and buggies. So keep that in mind for a commute to Lebanon.

For snow, I actually got by the last 2 winters by pretty much staying in when it snowed. They do a much better job clearing, especially major roads. Last January we got 2 feet of snow in just over a day and I was on ice free roads just 2 days later.

Lancaster city is actually pretty diverse but that quickly ends outside of the city. Make no mistake about, the surrounding area is very white. I mean, I'm white but being from Gwinnett, it took some getting used to. Now, I don't think it'll be a major issue but just something to know. Also don't be surprised to see confederate flags. Honestly I see more here than back home (though not as many as rural GA). My very first neighbor had a flag on his truck. I've seen houses with flags, etc.

The people in general can be very insular with rural areas seemingly more so. Some are friendly but a lot are just plain rude. I'm not even a super friendly outgoing type but I still wish people here would be a little nicer. That's one thing I like about Lancaster. There seem to be more transplants that are more willing to make friends.

Last thing, be prepared for the smell of manure. This is a high productivity agricultural area. More than anywhere in N GA. I'm not even that close to farms but I smell it from time to time. If you're driving through the country to get to Lebanon, you will smell it.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,956 times
Sed, thanks for the reply! I guess my dilemma is whether to live closer to Lancaster for its society or closer to Lebanon for work.

Congrats on graduating, and best wishes for your future!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 5,488 times
I feel very qualified to help you since my husband is from Lebanon, and we live in Manheim Township.

You will not be happy living in Lebanon because there is nothing there. Likewise, even though Manheim is geographically perfect, don't do it. It would be real culture shock for you coming from Atlanta.

Manheim Township is considered to be the best school district in Lancaster County. If you lived on the north end of the district, like we do, you could make it to the hospital in about 30 minutes. My husband worked in Lebanon when we first moved here. His commute was via Fruitville Pike to route 72 north. There's not a lot of traffic, but you will most likely get behind someone who wants to drive at or a little below the speed limit. You will need to learn where the passing areas are and plan ahead. It's really not a big deal but for some people it can be annoying.

The only problem with living in Manheim Township is you won't find much housing in the north end in your budget.

Lititz, which is Warwick School District, is another good option. Lititz has been voted the coolest small town in the US, and it really is charming. You should be able to find housing in your budget there.

I can attest to the acceptance level of Asians in Manheim Township. The district has a significant amount of diversity. I'm not sure about Lititz (Warwick). Manheim would be a disaster in that department.

Welcome to the area.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
My Children are around your children's ages. I live in the South Lebanon area and i can honestly say Cedar Crest School District is great! Lebanon doesn't have much as far as businesses go but, they are building. We finally have a Chipolte and Panera bread now. They are building something across from the fairgrounds.

I wish you the best in where you decide to locate. I agree with the above poster in regards to Lititiz. Another great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area