U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best areas for families
Camp hill 1 50.00%
Mechanicsburg 1 50.00%
Hampden 0 0%
New Kingstown 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,888 times

Advertisements

Hello locals, My family and I are looking to relocate and we're considering the Mechanicsburg area. We have college kids as well as middle school aged kids and We're hoping to find a "happy medium." We are looking to purchase an older period detached home with character. Schools and safety are my priority with good neighbors and less traffic following close behind. I wouldn't mind fixing up an older period home in a quiet location or an area where my younger two can make friends. Suggestions would be most helpful. I research areas based on safety and schools so if you would just point us in the right direction we can go from there :-). Thank you all in advance for your time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 03:18 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,003,857 times
Personally, of those four, Mechanicsburg would be my choice. There's quite a bit to do there, and there is a great deal of new housing stock.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Thank you Dequindre for your response. We're very flexible on where we move in the state but those four were the only areas I've come across so far. I'd like something with land, space, history (I'd love to restore my home) and an area where we can get involved in the community (here at home my husband and I have ran cub scouts packs, Girl Scout troops and volunteered with PTA and classrooms. So if you or anyone else has any advice or suggestions on areas and school districts we would appreciate any help offered :-)

Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,003,857 times
Have you considered Carlisle (the county seat of Cumberland County)? It's a very nice historic town with quite a bit of gentrification and stuff to do downtown. It's also a short drive from Mechanicsburg and Camp Hill's shopping.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:16 AM

Thank you :-). I'll check it out :-). I've been looking for homes listed on the historical homes for sale list and fell in love with one in Reading but was frightened by the schools and crime :-(

Old 04-23-2017, 03:24 PM

68 posts, read 50,265 times
Mechanicsburg and Camp Hill both have pretty epically awful traffic for such small towns. It can sometimes take half an hour to get through the downtown area of each due to how many suburbs have grown up around them while the roads have no way to expand.

I second another posters suggestion of Carlisle, as Carlisle has probably the largest stock of historic homes and definitely better traffic flow than Mechanicsburg or Camp Hill. There's more to do in downtown Carlisle than the other two too, mostly due to the college and fairgrounds. If you buy one of the downtown historic homes in Carlisle it's also a walkable town, even to the grocery stores, unlike Mechanicsburg where almost all the shopping is separated from the residential areas.

Ultimately, other than the traffic thing, Mechanicsburg would pretty much meet your criteria. Camp Hill doesn't have nearly as many historic homes, and New Kingston is so tiny I doubt you'll find much there.

Another place to look might be Boiling Springs. It's certainly the most beautiful town around here and has some great historic homes, despite how tiny it is. It's also outside the main commuter traffic from Harrisburg and supposedly has great schools.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:00 PM

905 posts, read 447,532 times
Cumberland Valley and Camp Hill are both excellent school districts.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 PM

154 posts, read 97,229 times
Mechanicsburg has a good school, if you have kids, they have an especially good music program. There are several good colleges but they might involve the children living away from home, which might not be a bad idea. I went to Millersville, and my home was in Somerset county, not a bad idea really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area