U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM

438 posts, read 281,591 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a double width front entry door and my wife suggested we search for Amish craftsmen. Anyone have any suggestions of places that may make doors ?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM

8,133 posts, read 6,819,699 times
My only experience with replacement entry doors was our neighbor's house was broken into and the door frame was ruined. The new doorway had to be custom ordered through a millwork shop and it took a long time. Several of the prebuilt shed lots in your area deal with Amish crews. I'd start with them.
Are you actually seeking a double width door, ie., 60 inches plus? Or do you want a double door entry?
They are common in the South, but I'd hesitate to have one in PA. Winter is coming, you know? They do look elegant.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM

438 posts, read 281,591 times
Yes we are looking for a double door just because we have a large void in the front of the home that needs to be filled.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 PM
PUB

25 posts, read 103,376 times
For wood doors my preference is a stave or LVL core with a thick veneer so the door will not move (warp). Signature doors are made near Altoona and shipped nationwide. You can buy them through Studio 4 in Harrisburg. I put a Signature Door on my parents house and it has performed flawlessly for several years now. My front door was made by another company out of Honduran mahogany and was two pieces of wood glued together. This construction method seems to be common for small local companies. You can literally hear my front door moving and it leaks air as it moves. Not long after I bought this door the manufacture changed to a stave core. Signature builds doors rated for southern Florida impact zones. If they are good enough to stand up to hurricanes they will hold up in PA. They are the only exterior wood door I will buy now.

Note - I don't work for Signature or have any affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area