Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times

Advertisements

The Harrisburg-Carlisle area, which consistently has among the lowest unemployment rates in the state, has had the best year of any region for job growth, according to the latest figures from the state Department of Labor and Industry.

Between September 2016 and September 2017, Harrisburg-Carlisle saw nonfarm jobs rise by 7,300, or 2.1 percent, the largest percentage gain of the 14 metros in the commonwealth where seasonally adjusted data is available.

Harrisburg-area job market strongest in Pa. over last year | CPBJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
According to the link, the job increase was in transportation, warehousing, health care, social and governmental services. Manufacturing apparently is still on the skids. The "new economy" keeps rolling along.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
According to the link, the job increase was in transportation, warehousing, health care, social and governmental services. Manufacturing apparently is still on the skids. The "new economy" keeps rolling along.
Did Harrisburg ever have that much manufacturing to begin with? When I think of Pennsylvania manufacturing, it's more on the edges (Pittsburgh, Philly, Wilkes-Barre, Erie, Reading, etc.).

Old 11-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Bethlehem Steel had the largest steel rail plant in the USA in Steelton. I think that the current owner, Arcelor Mittal, plans to shut it down. Middletown Car Works was a big manufacturer of railroad rolling stock. Look up a 1922 book entitled "Fourth Industrial Directory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania." It's available as a Google Books download.

That whole area at one time was full of industry as was most of the rest of PA.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
[IMG]FT_17.07.18_manufacturing_decline.png[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Bethlehem Steel had the largest steel rail plant in the USA in Steelton. I think that the current owner, Arcelor Mittal, plans to shut it down. Middletown Car Works was a big manufacturer of railroad rolling stock. Look up a 1922 book entitled "Fourth Industrial Directory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania." It's available as a Google Books download.

That whole area at one time was full of industry as was most of the rest of PA.
Thanks for the info!

However, is it correct to assume that Harrisburg's base-sector industries have been government and related financial industries for the past few decades?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
The world's largest confectionery factory is in Dauphin County, unfortunately for local employment stats employing fewer BCTGM Local 464 represented employees than its more visible predecessor. The same company has a large non-union factory as well, on the other side of the tracks in the west end of Derry Twp. The local HQ is, according to an article I just saw the other day, represents one of only 60 companies that have occupied space on the Fortune 500 list from 1955 through 2017.

That township collects more $52 taxes from employees of an associated entertainment and resorts entity, and profits from both fund the largest boarding school in the coterminous U.S.

This is another manufacturing company HQ'd in Dauphin County with local plants: https://miwindows.com/careers

Dauphin County also hosts a number of the monster warehouses perhaps more visible in other parts of the I-81 corridor. The Hershey distribution center, hidden from tourist view, is so large it is also in Lebanon County.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Thanks for the info!

However, is it correct to assume that Harrisburg's base-sector industries have been government and related financial industries for the past few decades?

No. I forgot to include 2 very large Harrisburg manufacturers: 1. Harsco Corporation, which makes equipment for railroads and the military and 2. AMP, which was the world leader in high tech connectors. AMP had manufacturing facilities throughout the greater Harrisburg area. I don't believe that there are any AMP facilities left in the region. It was acquired in a hostile takeover by Tyco.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Fascinating. I am curious to look at the job growth percentage for Southeast PA. I know for a fact Southeast PA economically is growing more quickly than Harrisburg. But it is encouraging to see positive growth outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Regional leaders really need to think big and try to position Harrisburg as a larger city. It has amazing growth potential. Especially with PSU in its backyard.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
2. AMP, which was the world leader in high tech connectors. AMP had manufacturing facilities throughout the greater Harrisburg area. I don't believe that there are any AMP facilities left in the region. It was acquired in a hostile takeover by Tyco.
Now TE Connectivity: Connectors & Sensors for Harsh Environments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area