Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I'm moving to the Harrisburg area and have already been out looking at a few rental properties in addition to doing some pre-employment things for my employer. However, as I am traveling around the area, I'm having trouble finding an area to live that would be a good fit. I'm hoping you guys could give me some ideas.

When are you moving? Within the next month
Where are you coming from? Lived in Lancaster County, Philadelphia, and Midwest
Why are you moving? I am a healthcare professional starting a new job
Where will you be working? Pinnacle downtown
Have you been here yet? Yes, a few times in the past month.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? 1-2 bedroom townhouse or apartment. Budget is less than $1500 but would prefer to be closer to $1000.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single. No kids.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Nice but not a necessity
Are you keeping a car? Yes - bonus if there is garage parking
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet but I still want to be reasonably accessible to activities

What do you want to be closest to? Work, shopping, basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - I hate downtown stop and go traffic and have found the traffic on 81 to 83 to be a little aggravating, therefore I'd like to keep my commute no greater than 20-25 minutes. Preferably somewhere with equidistant access to all the above. Added plus if the area has easy access to the turnpike.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I'm a young professional in my 20s so maybe a place with people in their 20s or 30s. However, this is not a super important factor for me.

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Phillies!

I have toured a few places (mainly in the Colonial Park area) and found them to be okay to good, but I was not a fan of the hilly terrain, which I could see being problematic in the winter time. Right now I think I would prefer to be part of a mid-to upscale rental community with common amenities such as a gym, pool, etc. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 PM
PUB

25 posts, read 111,435 times
The Overlook in Camp Hill (East Pennsboro Township) is newer and is a really easy commute to downtown: The Overlook | Camp Hill Apartments

Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Maybe you already saw these Harrisburg and Hershey, PA Apartments | Luxury Apartments in Harrisburg and Hershey, PA | DeSouza Brown

This may help with downtown commuting if you're on a day shift: https://www.cattransit.com/routes-and-schedules/

Note to developers reading this, there could be a market for upscale apartments for singles in the Middletown area, with its easy access to transportation links but not wanting to pay a premium for, say, Hershey school district.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Camp Hill gets my vote. Enola would work as an end-around to traffic, but I lived in a house there and did not rent.Seems to me there were some nice apartments off Hunter Lane, too.
Nice place to live.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 PM

62 posts, read 97,627 times
I have lived southeast of the Colonial Park area for nearly a year now and I would say that I am pretty content with the area for what you mentioned above. Check out Springford and Treeview apartment complexes, they're not bad driving to and from the city in the winter time. Shopping is just 5 minutes from where I live currently so I don't have to travel far at all. You can choose to take an interstate to commute but it's not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area