U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,288 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a neighborhood that's affordable, offers artistic opportunities, cultural opportunities, walkable lifestyle (I can't drive due to an eye-condition and currently live in a city with a walkability score of 7/100... help!), and decent-good schools. I have heard/read SO much about how dreadful Harrisburg schools are...

...is that ALL schools? Because otherwise, it looks like Midtown fits the bill. I don't need a huge city, I just need to be able to get the heck outta my house and accomplish some basic errands/entertainment/shopping without a car. However, I don't want to sacrifice my kids' education or safety for this.

I was SO excited about Midtown Harrisburg until I saw the stuff about the schools being so awful. Any good experiences or advice or anything? (This is a big relocation, we would be coming up from way south in Florida! I want to make sure we find the right place!)

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:32 AM

548 posts, read 720,275 times
I live car-free in Midtown and can attest to the neighborhood being a good spot to live car-free. (We also have Peapod grocery delivery if that is another concern for you.) I can't speak to the schools though. Hopefully someone else will provide some good info. We're planning on having kids soon and don't want to have to move.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:43 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,100,634 times
Most parents send their kids to the parochial, catholic school. If you fill this form out it will help direct you. Harrisburg is lovely and is a great place to live. Architecturally is beautiful and offers a great deal of amenities at an affordable price. Midtown is undergoing a huge resurgence. There are still some bumps in the road (petty crime) but overall a really lovely place.

With that if you fill out this form below and post it to the PA forum you might find some other alternatives that offer what your needs are in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a wide array of historic walkable communities to choose from. Lancaster is another place that comes to mind, but again the more information you provide the better recommendations you can receive. As far as Harrisburg goes, if the parent has the option most send to the catholic school.

http://www.hbgcathelem.org/

Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Most parents send their kids to the parochial, catholic school. If you fill this form out it will help direct you. Harrisburg is lovely and is a great place to live. Architecturally is beautiful and offers a great deal of amenities at an affordable price. Midtown is undergoing a huge resurgence. There are still some bumps in the road (petty crime) but overall a really lovely place.

With that if you fill out this form below and post it to the PA forum you might find some other alternatives that offer what your needs are in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a wide array of historic walkable communities to choose from. Lancaster is another place that comes to mind, but again the more information you provide the better recommendations you can receive. As far as Harrisburg goes, if the parent has the option most send to the catholic school.

Harrisburg Catholic Elementary School in Harrisburg, Pa

Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.
And what if we're not Catholic... which we really very much aren't....?
I have seen some info on other private schools, but most seem to be religiously affiliated. Anyone know of others?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,100,634 times
Harrisburg Academy, but the tuition cost is very high. This is why I recommended the parochial schools. Tuition I will estimate at Harrisburg Catholic Schools are around 5k a year, give or take. Harrisburg Academy most likely will be around 10 - 15k a year. Give or take. Also I would take a look at Lancaster, PA. It also has a very desirable downtown with alot of walkable amenities. School system is the same though and you would want to send your kids to Private school living in Lancaster.

If you give me more of an idea on your price range I can recommend some other lovely towns in Pennsylvania as well that have great school districts. Media, PA is absolutely darling and has a top ranked public school system and is incredibly safe. Right in its downtown you have a Trader Joe's, restaurants, shops, government services, parks, schools. It even has a trolley that runs down its main street and a train that takes you to Philadelphia. It is more pricey than Harrisburg though. But then you also are not paying for private schools. Depending on your price range I would HIGHLY recommend Media. Harrisburg is great and I love it there, but there are other great walkable towns in Pennsylvania to consider as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area