U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:00 AM

60 posts, read 34,808 times

Advertisements

Yes there does seem to be a lot of division among the 3 cities. I’ve also noticed it within York. West York and East York. Same stores on each side. All these different districts. Seems crazy to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,104,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenaway View Post
My wife and I visited both last week and spent the day both in downtown Lancaster and in Harrisburg near City Island.Walked around both places roughly between 2 and 6 in the afternoon.

We liked Harrisburg more. The area we wandered around in (bordered near Paxton, Forster, and 7th street) seemed really nice. We ate at Firehouse Restaurant and really enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere. Everyone we encountered was very friendly as well. I want to say our server said that the area to the north of the restaurant was a bit rough, but I cannot remember for sure. There was a 5k race being run on City Island and it was fun to watch. The course seemed really nice and I would have loved to have run it.

Lancaster is just as oldrowhome describes it, yet we didn't like it as much as Harrisburg. That is surprising to me as I really expected to like Lancaster more. We walked around downtown for about two and a half hours. The city is pretty. We're both "Gen X", so we definitely felt and saw the Millenial/hipster vibe to the city. Lancaster had a lot more in terms of performing arts venues than the part of Harrisburg we visited as well. Lancaster seemed like the more "artsy" of the two places as well. My kids would like that I think.

In both places, we saw lots of people walking around. Didn't see any panhandlers or anything like that anywhere. Also didn't see many police in either town either except near where the race was being run.

Overall, I think I'd choose Harrisburg over Lancaster, but it is not an easy decision at all. We also really need to go back and visit again, and we really want to. I think that my choice is based mostly on the fact that we didn't see the more depressed parts of Harrisburg and the part of H'burg we did visit was pretty nice. We liked the vibe we got from Harrisburg a lot more than the vibe we got from Lancaster, and neither vibe was negative fwiw.

As others have said, it's a city feel vs. a large town feel. That is a pretty apt description, I think.

And yes, parking is cheaper in Lancaster. Learned that the hard way. I've been away from the downtown scene for too long.

Hey Pullenaway! I remember directing you on Pennsylvania small cities/locations from the winter. So pretty awesome you went ahead and explored both options!

I am from Harrisburg and I have a sweet spot for both Harrisburg and Lancaster. If you do end up choosing Harrisburg, I know the areas outside the city very well and I am more than happy to advise.

Other notable areas of Harrisburg:
Hershey
Camp Hill

Both are anchors to their metropolitan communities. Enjoy

Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Status: "Living in South Central PA! We made it!" (set 14 days ago)

83 posts, read 81,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Hey Pullenaway! I remember directing you on Pennsylvania small cities/locations from the winter. So pretty awesome you went ahead and explored both options!

I am from Harrisburg and I have a sweet spot for both Harrisburg and Lancaster. If you do end up choosing Harrisburg, I know the areas outside the city very well and I am more than happy to advise.

Other notable areas of Harrisburg:
Hershey
Camp Hill

Both are anchors to their metropolitan communities. Enjoy
Yes...thanks SO MUCH for all of your help! Your characterizations and descriptions were very, very accurate to us as we looked around. We had our thread open every morning and we read through it and jotted notes down about what we had been told in order to have some good information to base our opinions on.

We spent several days exploring and trying to get a feel for the area and as I said, we liked H'burg and its surrounding areas (read: Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, and Hershey) the most. To us, Lancaster was nicer than York, and Lititz in particular was absolutely charming (very similar to Fairhope, AL where I currently teach). That's not to say that York was bad, but we didn't like it as much as we did the other areas. York County is like a really hilly Baldwin County , AL (where we currently reside) in terms of topography and "ruralness", to coin a word. We didn't have a single negative experience the entire trip; the Red Lion BnB was great and we didn't have a bad meal anywhere. People were very nice or at least not standoffish in a Long Island/Tri State Area sort of way, if you know what I mean. I honestly was expecting that but I didn't deal with that at all. Driving was also nicer than I was expecting...I didin't have to cut anyone off to get out of an intersection and folks were willing to let you in. Again, I was comparing that part of PA too much to what I knew from LI and that area where I lived. The wife noticed the difference as well and appreciated it. I think the trip was a success and I know it gave her some peace of mind about leaving AL for something new. Honestly, the people and the driving were VERY similar to where we live now.

The weather was absolutely amazing. We walked around downtown Lancaster for a good 3 hours (2 - 5 in the afternoon, I think). I barely broke a sweat the entire time we were walking around, and I was pushing a stroller. If we had done that in AL, I would have needed to change my shirt. Lows in the upper 50's in June? YES PLEASE!

I did post a thread somewhere in this sub asking about Harrisburg and the areas proximate to it; if you get a chance check it out. I am always happy to get input and insights from those who know. As of this thread, we're focused in on the areas in Cumberland county east of Carlisle into Dauphin county. I think Lancaster is still open as well. Job-wise I'm going to have to be a lot more flexible; but I think if I can have a good central location to commute from I'll be okay. I know the Mrs. wants to stay close enough to I-81 that if she wants to come to AL to visit her people we're a hard day's drive away, so that's got to figure in to some of this.

This board has been a huge help to us. I took my PRAXIS on Friday and find out if I passed it in 3 weeks. If I did, it's on to phase 2...get a PA teaching cert and start looking for jobs. Our RE agent has been a big help, so we are also updating our list of housing options on a regular basis. I need to update my main thread as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area