Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,776 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job offer in Gettysburg pa. We have been looking for an area around that area possibly mechanicsburg to move. We are coming from central nj.

We are a mixed couple husband is indian I'm white and need a safe town that has excellent schools, some diversity and a suburban feel. I've read great things about mechanicsburg but also heard things about active Kkk? In certain pa areas. Really trying to find a good town to raise our three kids with diverse family friendly white picket fence feel.

Any and all advice would be helpful!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 PM

129 posts, read 125,803 times
I have to say I haven't heard about the KKK in that area. Mechanicsburg is one of the most diverse areas that I can think of on the West Shore. I see all nationalities in all the stores when I am shopping there, and I know of multiple that live in the area.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:42 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice85 View Post
My husband got a job offer in Gettysburg pa. We have been looking for an area around that area possibly mechanicsburg to move. We are coming from central nj.

We are a mixed couple husband is indian I'm white and need a safe town that has excellent schools, some diversity and a suburban feel. I've read great things about mechanicsburg but also heard things about active Kkk? In certain pa areas. Really trying to find a good town to raise our three kids with diverse family friendly white picket fence feel.

Any and all advice would be helpful!!
You'll be fine. I've lived around this area for years and there is no active KKK activity in Mechanicsburg PA.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,776 times
Thanks for the info. We are going to try and go up next weekend look around? Any suggestions on where to go to get a feel for the town?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Not sure what the attraction is about Mechanicsburg if the offer is in Gettysburg since that sounds like a 45 min one way commute.

45 minutes the other way in Maryland would get more access to shopping meeting more typical Northeast Corridor standards, and surely more diversity.

If Mechanicsburg area offers lower cost to you, and you can tolerate the lower level of shopping (there is a Wegmans at least), it may be a better bet than neighboring York County suburban areas. York area suburbs might have moved on a bit from white flight from MD, and might have moved on from mandating teaching creationism NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial but Mechanicsburg would at least offer military based diversity (nearby US Army War College and Navy/DLA depots, more officers than enlisted relative to more typical base communities) to go with the prevailing political conservatism.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,487 times
Very nice area around Gettysburg. We have been there twice just to visit and walk around. Active KKK?... I have to laugh at that. I've lived in PA for quite a long time, Northeast down through to Central (Harrisburg) area. There might be a certain 'element' that will cause you trouble around every city/town, but it's not really anybody actively cloaked and recruiting for that group that we see the most in the news, just the usual thugs, drugs and no hugs kinds of troublemakers. We are also what would be considered a mixed race couple, and have had no trouble whatsoever from anybody around here. Please don't be worried about that sort of stuff, there's a bit of it everywhere I'm sure, but just stay outta dark alleys!!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Mechanicsburg is a very nice and safe family place. I am an Indian living with my family in Mechanicsburg. I actually opened this account after looking at your post when I stumbled upon this website.

If you are still looking to find more info about this area. You should look into Cumberland Valley School district. It is considered one of the best school districts in this area. As for a home it all depends on your budget. There are 200K townhomes (check out Silver creek at Hampden) to 500K single family (further down Lambs Gap road off Carlilse Pike) another good single family community nearby is Rivendell (situated on silverspring road off Carlilse Pike). All these communities have a good mix of Indian and American families.

Carlilse Pike is one of the main arteries of Mechanicsburg and I can't think of any store that you wont find on that street.

Let me know if you would like any other information.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,335 times
Whoever mentioned the kkk was probably referring to a small group (a number of members from outside the area) which every few years, decided to gather on the square, or steps of the courthouse in a local small town in the (2 or 3 times in the 26 years since I moved here from NJ, not active). The towns then organize community gatherings celebrating diversity which draws crowds and attention way from the hate-mongers; and the counter protesters who do show up outnumber the klansmen. The small-minded bigots are greatly outnumbered here.

Both Gettysburg and Carlisle are college towns, and Mechanicsburg is pretty close to Harrisburg; so you should find plenty of diversity-friendly neighborhoods in and around these towns.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,396 times
Default Indian community in Cumberland, Mechanisburg,PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty2k View Post
Mechanicsburg is a very nice and safe family place. I am an Indian living with my family in Mechanicsburg. I actually opened this account after looking at your post when I stumbled upon this website.

If you are still looking to find more info about this area. You should look into Cumberland Valley School district. It is considered one of the best school districts in this area. As for a home it all depends on your budget. There are 200K townhomes (check out Silver creek at Hampden) to 500K single family (further down Lambs Gap road off Carlilse Pike) another good single family community nearby is Rivendell (situated on silverspring road off Carlilse Pike). All these communities have a good mix of Indian and American families.

Carlilse Pike is one of the main arteries of Mechanicsburg and I can't think of any store that you wont find on that street.

Let me know if you would like any other information.

Hi Matty,

I am moving with my husband and kids to Cumberland Valley School district, Mechanisburg. I am looking for rental apartments where there are Indian communities. Would like to get some suggestions on apartments that are safe, reasonably priced and located around Good Hope School. Is there any other Middle school. I know about Eagle view. It seems there are only 2 middle schools in that area. I will really appreciate if you could give me some tips or guidance on apartment finding.
Thanks.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sata View Post
Hi Matty,

I am moving with my husband and kids to Cumberland Valley School district, Mechanisburg. I am looking for rental apartments where there are Indian communities. Would like to get some suggestions on apartments that are safe, reasonably priced and located around Good Hope School. Is there any other Middle school. I know about Eagle view. It seems there are only 2 middle schools in that area. I will really appreciate if you could give me some tips or guidance on apartment finding.
Thanks.

I would start an entirely new thread.

I know the Harrisburg area has a growing/sizeable Indian population, but I am not super aware specially with Cumberland Valley those are located.

I think your best bet honestly is to research Indian community centers etc within the Harrisburg area and then reach out to people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area