Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times

Advertisements

I was back in Harrisburg over the weekend, and each time I return it hits me in the face, how Greater Harrisburg has no land use planning, no economic development vision/planning, and literally it is a free fall for development and most projects have ZERO design standards and are truly UGLY.

I grew up in Harrisburg, and well slowly all this ugly development is absolutely killing the character of the region.

Lancaster County has solid Land Use planning overall and if you look at the quality of their development it is mostly top notch.

Where Greater Harrisburg is totally just botching it.

#1 problem is all these disenfranchised municipalities keep building these sprawling warehouses all over. The truck traffic is OUT OF CONTROL. There is no coordination/planning where these warehouses should be located, and it has just caused MASSIVE quality of life problems, from traffic, to incredibly bad air pollution, to poor health from lack of walkable communities/development.

Any other thoughts? Dauphin County is in no way at the level of Lancaster, but I feel they are more coordinated, where Cumberland County is just building anything, anywhere and it all just looks awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 PM

62 posts, read 97,815 times
I've only lived in the Harrisburg area for a little over a year, but from what I have seen I can say that Cumberland county looks like a place that was once rural but has just built up drastically in recent decades (between Camp Hill and Carlisle). It may just be me, but I feel like traffic on the eastern side of Cumberland county is actually worse than the lower half of Dauphin county, which is ironic since the city of Harrisburg is in Dauphin. Suburban sprawl really seems to be affecting the Cumberland Valley like it is the Lehigh Valley. A sign of the times I suppose, as populations in the urban and suburban areas expand due to close proximity to where the work is, while populations in the rural and small town areas shrink due to a massive decline in jobs. Aside from the obvious and inevitable growth, I agree that the east side of the river has been maintaining theirs better than the west side has.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Its up to Cumberland County's municipalities, largely rural, to control land use. For many of these rural municipalities, I imagine it is alluring to have industrial development like that.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Joint municipal planning and zoning is authorized in PA. However, each little kingdom has to opt in. Cumberland County is a prime example where several rows of townships zone
the side toward Harrisburg for more intensive use and the side away for ag, resulting in concentric belts of monster warehouses.

There are logistics centers on the East Shore as well, but they seem better hidden (at least till you get further out on I-78). See https://www.foodlogistics.com/home/a...g-the-standard These provide jobs for folks who might otherwise be left entirely behind by the 21st century American economy, and you and I need our widgets and whatzits too.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Its up to Cumberland County's municipalities, largely rural, to control land use. For many of these rural municipalities, I imagine it is alluring to have industrial development like that.

Not saying all of the development is bad, it is the lack of planning. It is a fact, that placing these demands on infrastructure that cannot handle it with sprawl, will add pressure for local municipalities to increase property taxes for homeowners like you.

Cumberland County really is poorly managing land use planning. Lancaster County on the other hand has done quite a good job of managing growth, and promoting development while protecting open space. There is nothing wrong with this approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area