U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 03:33 PM

7,258 posts, read 12,023,368 times

Advertisements

I'm coming into Harrisburg tomorrow (Friday) morning. I don't need to arrive real early but want to come in and just see the area for a bit. I'll either come in on I-81 but will likely do Rt. 15.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:36 PM

12,610 posts, read 22,556,965 times
So how was traffic?

Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,396,084 times
Not that I saw this in time for the OP, but in general between 9 am and 2-2:30 pm is relatively clear.

US 15 in the "West Shore" suburbs of Harrisburg was laid out by a sadist. Part is on 4-lane but traffic clogged surface streets, but when a mini freeway starts US 15 coming northbound heads off of it onto a 2-lane street, then crosses the mini freeway again and becomes a 4-lane surface street through Enola, then 2 lanes again through Marysville and Perdix and 4 lanes again bypassing Duncannon and heading north towards Selinsgrove. Essentially it runs into each possible traffic knot and past every tired old commercial strip while still not going through the town centers.

PA Bicycle Route J2 from Gettysburg to Harrisburg follows many of the old two lane roads. A problem with following the bike route comes up between York Springs and Dillsburg where the old two lane road was not paralleled but wiped out, so the signed bike route goes a long way out to return to 15. Another non-parallel but wipe out was at the Turnpike crossing, the bike route J2 goes out of its way to go through Mechanicsburg Borough as a result - but on the less pleasant Simpson Ferry Rd vs. the wider shouldered and more historic-place-passing Trindle Rd. If you're driving but shun-piking, maybe better to follow J2 north only as far as York Springs, get on the US 15 highway through Dillsburg, pick up the rumps of Gettysburg Pike from north end of Dillsburg to just south of the Turnpike, get back on 2 exits, then left towards Wesley Dr to pick up another remnant of Gettysburg Pike and follow into Lemoyne and the Market Street bridge into center city Harrisburg.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 PM

628 posts, read 428,924 times
Traffic is worst between 7-9, 3-6. The worst areas are from my observations ( this list is not all inclusive, just some observations)

1. I-83 between the John Harris bridge and Union Deposit Road exit, worst of it is probably leading up to 19th st bottleneck, and 1 lane exit to continue going I83 NB near Eisenhower interchange where US 322 continues on.

2. I-283 North in morning, South in afternoon.

3. US 15 Camp Hill Bypass (stoplights and many entrances/pull offs on a busy 4 lane highway).

4. US 15 North to PA 581 West in pm rush hour (stoplight controls flow of traffic).

5. Cameron and Maclay Street/US 22 intersection (long light cycle).

6. I-81 anytime there is a major accident between Carlisle and Harrisburg (usually does not happen but when it does this is #1 on list).

7. US 322 near Milroy Road confusion intersection at peak hours.

8. Front Street from Market St to I-83 in pm rush hour.

9. 6th and 7th Streets leading up to Maclay during pm rush hour.

10. Cameron and Market intersection (long light cycle).

11. Lingelstown and Progress Ave intersection.

12. 63rd st bridge connecting Grayson and Derry st

If you study Google Maps traffic map you can find specific routes and detours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area