Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times

Advertisements

I travel to Chambersburg a few times per year for work. My group is preparing to travel back up there the second week of November for a night before going on to New York and I am looking for some information. We typically fly into Harrisburg Intl airport and spend the night in Chambersburg.

However, we really haven't found much in the way of nice amenities there and I was wondering if we are missing something.

Here's what we have liked so far:

Norland's pub - good beer for a reasonable price and the food wasn't bad either.
Kenny's Grill and Ice Cream - Found this by accident at lunch one day. We enjoyed the food.
Aki Japanese Steakhouse - food was awesome, though a tad pricey

What we didn't like:

Country Inn & Suites (where we normally stay) - Breakfast wasn't good, even for a continental option. The beds are hard and the tv never seems to work regardless of the room we stay in.
Mario's Italian Restaurant - went there at 6:30pm on a Monday and it was literally dead. Food was all fried frozen food with no taste.

Are there better options in Chambersburg for eateries (that aren't chains) and hotels? We're not opposed to staying in Harrisburg either, as we only need to travel to C'burg for a few hr meeting before heading back to the airport. We will essentially land Mon night, go to the meeting Tues morning, and be back on a plane by 1pm Tuesday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Back when I had to travel to AMC installations we used to wind up eating at The Cottage on Wayne Ave on the south side most of the time. I haven't been there for a while but a major search engine says it's still there. We have an active poster from that area so perhaps will have another answer soon.

You could also try eating in Carlisle, as you'll be going right past it coming from MDT airport. Carlisle is a slightly larger, bit more upscale and tourist-friendly community than Chambersburg, with its own base so folks with military bearing and uniforms don't stick out too badly either.

Shippensburg is another possibility, college town a bit smaller than the other two, but with a newer downtown hotel that's honestly about as close to where I think you might be going anyway.

Many local restaurants in the middle of PA are closed Sundays and Mondays, so you may want to voice call to confirm details from your favorite website or app before getting far off the highway.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
I do not know Chambersburg well so it is hard for me to comment. But if you are looking for more amenities I would recommend staying in Harrisburg. There are two hotels right downtown (The Hilton and The Crowne Plaza). Both are fairly priced and I am sure offer more comfortable accommodations than The Country Inn. Harrisburg's nightlife is more vibrant on towards the end of the week. Monday's tend to not be as vibrant, alot of restaurants close Monday's. But you still would find more restaurants and bars, than in Chambersburg. I would definitely recommend:
Cork and Fork (Food and atmosphere are EXCELLENT)
Home 231 (Amazing food)
Char's Tracy Mansion (Super classy spot; for a drink or more fine dinning). (Again not sure if they are open Mondays)
The Millworks (I am not sure if they are open Monday's; but absolutely amazing place)
Appalachian Brewing Company (Great for drinks)
The Firehouse (Great for drinks)

There are more; but as I said; many places are closed on Monday's.

I am not sure how frequently you have to travel to Chambersburg, but staying in Harrisburg would be an option I would explore if I had to come to the area often.

Carlisle also has more to offer as far as restaurants compared to Chambersburg. Carlisle is a college town with a Law School and well regarded Liberal Arts school, so it tends to be a bit more sophisticated in its offerings compared to Chambersburg. Again Monday's are just traditionally a day that many places close, as most independent restaurants are run by a small staff, and they all share the same one day a week off.

The only negative to staying in Harrisburg would be the 90 minute commute back and forth, but I definitely recommend it!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,602,808 times
Here are some of the nicer options in Chambersburg:

1. Bistro 51 (N. Main St.): Formal American food; upscale atmosphere.

2. Square 1 (Downtown Square): A menu consisting of more upscale South American dishes.

3. Copper Kettle Restaurant (Lincoln Way East): This restaurant has a more old-school formal restaurant atmosphere, but some of the menu items are excellent!

4. Roy-Pitz Brewery (Roy-Pitz Ave.): This is a hidden gem if you're into the small, independent brewery scene. They serve a menu consisting of pub-type food.

5. The Orchards (Orchard Dr.): This is a more formal restaurant with one of the more upscale bars in the area.

As for hotels...

1. La Quinta (Walker Rd.): This hotel is between two I-81 exits and was recently remodeled.

2. Candlewood Suites (Walker Rd.): Like the La Quinta, this hotel is between two I-81 exits. Each room is designed for longer stays and includes a kitchenette.

3. Hampton Inn: This hotel gets excellent reviews.

I know this won't be of much help now, but there is a Springhill Suites being built near Aki, so you'll have that option after it opens next summer.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Awesome. Thanks for all the info!

We typically travel to Chambersburg 4-5 times per year. Our normal route is to fly in on a Monday afternoon, spend the night, drive to the facility in Chambersburg Tuesday morning, leave there around noon for the airport and be back in the air by 2:30-3pm Tuesday evening heading on to our next stop.

Our last trip was strictly to Chambersburg and we stayed there Mon-Thurs so we took the opportunity to visit Gettysburg on that trip one evening after a meeting ended early.

We ate in Harrisburg once at the little Irish pub downtown and it was pretty good. We really didn't have time to sight see with the flight boarding in an hour so we had to take off way too soon.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Awesome. Thanks for all the info!

We typically travel to Chambersburg 4-5 times per year. Our normal route is to fly in on a Monday afternoon, spend the night, drive to the facility in Chambersburg Tuesday morning, leave there around noon for the airport and be back in the air by 2:30-3pm Tuesday evening heading on to our next stop.

Our last trip was strictly to Chambersburg and we stayed there Mon-Thurs so we took the opportunity to visit Gettysburg on that trip one evening after a meeting ended early.

We ate in Harrisburg once at the little Irish pub downtown and it was pretty good. We really didn't have time to sight see with the flight boarding in an hour so we had to take off way too soon.
I would definitely recommend some of the restaurants I listed above (I have lived here 10 years and came from another state). As for hotels, construction is starting on the Springhill Suites, so that may be more to your satisfaction once it is an option.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:17 AM

52 posts, read 67,124 times
Best restaurant I've been to in that area is the University Grille which is located in the lobby of the Shippen Place Hotel in Shippensburg.

And if you end up staying in Harrisburg instead, then I would recommend Gabriella's Italian Restaurant.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM

A new pho restaurant just opened up in downtown Chambersburg too. The reviews on Google and Facebook seem very favorable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rich...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,348 times
Some of these are more casual but the food is great.

The Korean Bulgogi House. Closed either Monday or Tuesday so call ahead.
Kenzo Japanese and Asian Fusion recently reopened. So much better than Aki.
India Cafe on Wayne is consistently good.
Caretti's on Philadelphia Ave. Awesome food.
Cafe D'Italia on the square
Italian Village corner of 997 and 11 in Greenvillage
EJ's Grill...never been there but heard rave reviews
Inka Kitchen on 30
Volcano on Wayne
Montezuma's....Wayne Ave has a liquor license, the others don't.
Grill Kebab on 30
I went to the Copper Kettle and The Orchards once each....I found both overpriced and the food sub par.
In Shipp:
CJ's Grill is awesome.
University Grille is hit or miss IMO.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times
I'm a Chambersburg Native, I can't speak for the Hotels, but...
Veroni Cafe on West King Street (just off Main) is amazing for Tacos
Also Rosalie's on Scotland Avenue is good
And I second Inka...love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area