U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 AM

4,656 posts, read 7,948,237 times

Advertisements

That whole part of PA is beautiful and historic. I think you'd love Carlisle, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,425 times
I have been working in Gettysburg and so far it's gorgeous in most parts and small "city-ish" in others ( don't try to go to KFC at lunch) lol it's a little crowded.. otherwise absolutely beautiful.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:34 PM

4,797 posts, read 8,132,032 times
Thanks again to all who replied. We're still in the talking stages, but it sure is tempting!

Old 10-22-2018, 05:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,863,235 times
I live in Chambersburg about a half hour west on Route 30, you could probably move to this area or Fayetteville and be good.
Chambersburg has the distinction of being the only town North of the Mason Dixon burned during the Civil War and is where John Brown planned the raid on Harper's Ferry

Old 12-24-2018, 05:58 AM

1,905 posts, read 1,876,554 times
I did exactly what you are talking about and I love it here. When I lived in Las Vegas, I took numerous trips to Gettysburg and fell in love with the place (visited it about around six or seven times). Ended up moving from L.V. to North Carolina because of a historical research topic I became interested in. Then when I met my husband because of our job situations we ended moving together to Gettysburg. I tell him I wish I would have just done that first and skipped the North Carolina part! (he lived in Pittsburgh when we met).

We currently live about 12 miles outside of Gettysburg in a rural area, but when we first moved here we lived about 10 min up the road from the downtown part of Gettysburg. If the taxes and financial part work out for you (it wasn't an issue for us) I would definitely recommend it. I find it to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, and to actually be here on a daily basis is just an incredibly wonderful gift to have.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 AM

299 posts, read 404,140 times
We live in a very small town just outside of Gettysburg and love it very much. Moved here a year ago.

Population is 492 (with us!) Tis 8 miles from Gettysburg. At first we wanted to move to Gettysburg for a variety of reasons. To save money on taxes, school taxes etc we moved outside the Boro. We are 8 miles away so we can still have the amenities, lectures, the Battlefields, shopping etc. You learn the backroads come tourist season

The one thing I noticed when looking for properties is there wasn't a lot of green land. We really need that in our life. We got an old hotel in Cashtown that we have since converted into a bindery and bookshop, we live upstairs and the third floor is for guests! There is a small backyard where we plan on making a veggie garden.

We are retirement age or close to but no retiring for us....happy to still be working in our areas of interest. There are also some volunteer projects...notably The Gleaning Project and Volunteer Fire Dept. We have just joined the Volunteer Fire Dept to help with fundraising.

There are some things about PA that might be different from where you come from. Took some adjusting on our part but tisn't a bad thing Shared driveways seem to be a thing in some places here so you really need to make nice with the neighbors. Luckily we have a very nice lady here, we now celebrate the holidays with her. Neighbors across the street have had us over a few times and when I was ill and husband had to be out of state, mowed the lawn for us and took me to doctor's appts.

There are properties for sale here and in McKnightstown. Which is even closer to Gettysburg. Beautiful old buildings.

When we say we love it here we are not exaggerating, haven't felt such a sense of community since I lived in the country in 50 and early 60's.

Politics? Well I am social liberal and fiscal conservative as is my husband and while they are a tad more on the conservative side, they manage to accept us ( altho not without a bit of teasing now and then! ) Have had some interesting conversations. The feeling is "live and Let Live" hereabouts.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:26 AM

9,452 posts, read 4,575,435 times
History and fantastic peaches. What`s not to love about Gettysburg?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Status: "Living in South Central PA! We made it!" (set 9 days ago)

83 posts, read 81,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
We live in a very small town just outside of Gettysburg and love it very much. Moved here a year ago.

Population is 492 (with us!) Tis 8 miles from Gettysburg. At first we wanted to move to Gettysburg for a variety of reasons. To save money on taxes, school taxes etc we moved outside the Boro. We are 8 miles away so we can still have the amenities, lectures, the Battlefields, shopping etc. You learn the backroads come tourist season

The one thing I noticed when looking for properties is there wasn't a lot of green land. We really need that in our life. We got an old hotel in Cashtown that we have since converted into a bindery and bookshop, we live upstairs and the third floor is for guests! There is a small backyard where we plan on making a veggie garden.

We are retirement age or close to but no retiring for us....happy to still be working in our areas of interest. There are also some volunteer projects...notably The Gleaning Project and Volunteer Fire Dept. We have just joined the Volunteer Fire Dept to help with fundraising.

There are some things about PA that might be different from where you come from. Took some adjusting on our part but tisn't a bad thing Shared driveways seem to be a thing in some places here so you really need to make nice with the neighbors. Luckily we have a very nice lady here, we now celebrate the holidays with her. Neighbors across the street have had us over a few times and when I was ill and husband had to be out of state, mowed the lawn for us and took me to doctor's appts.

There are properties for sale here and in McKnightstown. Which is even closer to Gettysburg. Beautiful old buildings.

When we say we love it here we are not exaggerating, haven't felt such a sense of community since I lived in the country in 50 and early 60's.

Politics? Well I am social liberal and fiscal conservative as is my husband and while they are a tad more on the conservative side, they manage to accept us ( altho not without a bit of teasing now and then! ) Have had some interesting conversations. The feeling is "live and Let Live" hereabouts.
Great post, thanks for sharing! Very insightful!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 AM

9,452 posts, read 4,575,435 times
How is the govt. shutdown affecting the Gettysburg National Military Park?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,832 times
Lived here for 30 years and am currently looking to leave. All the cons by the previous posters are true. High taxes, no shopping, downtown parking is terrible, winter weather stinks and the businesses here all price gouge. The price gouging continues in the off season after all the tourists leave. The town caters to the tourists and could care less about the people that live here. Gas prices are .20 to .40 cents a gallon more expensive than 15 miles down the road. Most residents don't shop in and around town because there is nowhere to shop! You'd have to travel 20 miles to buy a nut or bolt. Living here couldn't be any more inconvenient. Gettysburg Borough is significantly funded by extremely high taxes and parking revenues. The school district spends money like water, and are not afraid of raising school taxes..... every year. Oh, if you expect to get your state or national news from the local newspaper, forget it. To call it a newspaper is quite the stretch.
Absolutely nothing for kids to do to stay out of trouble. The locals have a saying.... Gettysburg is a drinking town with a history problem. Take that for what it's worth.
If you're a history nut, this will probably be a great place to live, but the average family will be tired of the area real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area