Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 55,557 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My fiance and I are looking to move near Harrisburg since we both have jobs in the city. I'm downtown near second st and he's on paxton st. We are looking for a nice area to rent a home in. We want an area that isn't heavily taxed, close to shopping, Harrisburg, etc. I'd love to have a commute that is half an hour or less.

We have family in Lebanon so we would like to find an area that is easy to get to Lebanon from.

We want to rent a house or townhouse, but don't want to spend more than $650/$700 in rent. I'm not sure if that is possible or even where to look for homes for rent since we are not currently close to the Harrisburg area.

I've heard Hummlestown, Middletown adn Marysville are good areas to look at. Can anyone offer any suggestions on good places to live near Harrisburg that are within 10 miles of downtown but easially accessible and affordable. I'm almost afraid that's asking to much, but we'll keep looking.

Also, if anyone knows of good sites/papers to check for listings, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
There's also Camp Hill, but I'm not sure about rental prices there. They may be on the high side. Or what about Carlisle or Mechanicsburg? They're all across the river but still fairly close to Harrisburg.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Maybe Eliabethtown, but that might be a little further than you want to drive. If Hummelstown and Lebenon are your choices, I d go with Hummelstown. My daughter lived in Lebanon for awhile and she didn't like it - neither did we.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Seeing that your fiance works on Paxton Street, you are probably best served trying to look for a place along the US 322 corridor between Harrisburg and say Palmyra. Some places in Lower Paxton Township (less than 10 miles east of Harrisburg) or in/near Middletown also would be reasonable possibilities.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
The Lower Paxton / Linglestown area is a good location for traveling to both places and your not living in the city.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,857 times
Wink How about....

Marysville, Duncannon or the Shermansdale Area. All of which is 30 mins or less driving time. I live in Elliottsburg the center of Perry County and it only takes me 45 mins or less to get to Harrisburg.

Oh and forget what you ever heard about 'Perry County' that we are all racist hicks and never to go there (ok except the sheep thing). It's just not true we only say that to keep people from invading our great country atmosphere, and so far it works, but don't tell them I told you.

Not sure why you would ever want to rent because their are so many great programs our there like the PFHA grant program.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 87,092 times
Linglestown, Colonial Park are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area