U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

I was in a bad accident last Thursday, I dropped my son off at school and was driving to work. It was a very sunny day and as I was driving a Lower Paxon Township flagger was standing in the middle of the road, I didn't see him until I got too close, I swerved and hit a LP Township truck sitting in the right land. My airbag deployed and I ended up with burns and abrasions all over my arms. I was very sore for days. Thankfully the seat belt saved me. I was given a citation by the LP police department for "Driving vehicle at safe speed", the offense itself says, Drove vehicle at a speed greater than was reasonable under conditions and caused a crash with a parked vehicle. My concern is the LP Township workers did not have any signs indicating they were doing road work at that time. This happened around 7:30 in the morning. I know this road so well, I grew up in this area. I know there are divets in the road and that wildlife can jump out at any given moment. I know I was not speeding, when the officer explained the traffic citation he said I was going 45 miles an hour, it does not say that on the ticket. I know for a fact I wasn't going that fast. I am thinking of fighting this, I would love to hear from anyone who can give me some advice or their thoughts on this particular subject.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 AM

2,030 posts, read 1,094,831 times
Sounds like you have a legitimate defense. Police ticket was probably issued to cover their a** and the township's. saying it's your fault and hoping you just pay it and don't fight it. Hope you're ok. Seek a good lawyer. Edgar Snyder's office has some excellent attorneys. He no longer practices from what I know. Are you seeking damages for pain, suffering, ongoing health issues? What would be your goal in fighting it? If it 's just to avoid the cost of the ticket you might just want to pay it. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 AM

14,705 posts, read 7,422,342 times
Any time you’re in an accident that is your fault you get a citation. They’re going to tell you that you should’ve been in control of your vehicle whether there were signs or not. It won’t hurt to fight it but the way I understand it, you’re going to lose.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 AM

I was off work for 3 days and I would like to seek damages as well. My car was completely totaled and I was financing it so I am a little bit upside down on it. I would like to go after them but I feel it's there word against mine. I have been looking for the laws on road construction. There were no signs indicating any road work let alone a flagger was standing in the middle of the road. I have never a traffic violation and I really would like to continue with that. It's not even paying the ticket that bothers me, it's the fact that no one asked me what happened, they took the word of the LP township.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 AM

2,236 posts, read 3,527,638 times
I just wonder how on a sunny day you missed seeing a flagger in what I assume was a bright orange jacket in the middle of the road. Good luck and sorry for you’re poor luck

Old 09-06-2018, 09:09 AM

2,030 posts, read 1,094,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob46 View Post
I was off work for 3 days and I would like to seek damages as well. My car was completely totaled and I was financing it so I am a little bit upside down on it. I would like to go after them but I feel it's there word against mine. I have been looking for the laws on road construction. There were no signs indicating any road work let alone a flagger was standing in the middle of the road. I have never a traffic violation and I really would like to continue with that. It's not even paying the ticket that bothers me, it's the fact that no one asked me what happened, they took the word of the LP township.
Don't spend too much time researching. Let the lawyers handle the work if you're going to fight it.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Does anyone know of any good traffic law attorneys in the Harrisburg, PA area?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 AM

969 posts, read 576,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob46 View Post
Does anyone know of any good traffic law attorneys in the Harrisburg, PA area?
Why would we, this is the Pittsburgh forum? This post shouldn't even be here.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM

2,865 posts, read 2,426,979 times
You need to be in control of your car, you are lucky you didn't hit the flagger or one of the workers. I do flagging occasionally and it is amazing how many times I almost get hit even with the proper signage.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:10 AM

1,524 posts, read 880,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I just wonder how on a sunny day you missed seeing a flagger in what I assume was a bright orange jacket in the middle of the road. Good luck and sorry for you’re poor luck
It actually is a lot harder to see on sunny than cloudy days, and there are higher accident rates when it's sunny. (Perhaps our high rate of cloudy days isn't so bad after all!)

OP, I'm glad you're OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area