U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM

864 posts, read 2,205,888 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are eager to relocate and I believe we've finally narrowed it down to Pennsylvania within commuting distance of the Harrisburg airport (only need access twice monthly). We are looking to spend no more than $300,000, and some walkability to restaurants and coffee shops would be nice. More important, however, is safety and a lovely neighborhood in which to enjoy the seasons. We are looking at Camp Hill, possibly Mechanicsburg, but then I came across some recommendations for Midtown/Uptown. Anybody care to share their opinion? We lived in Chambersburg several years ago, and wouldn't eliminate that idea, but being closer to the airport would be helpful. We currently live in Arizona, so any research that can be done before taking a trip out would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 1,109,613 times
Midtown and Uptown Harrisburg are lovely areas.

They definitely have a historic and urban character, which is something you would have to consider if you value that.

You can buy alot more home for your money in the City of Harrisburg than the surrounding suburbs. But with that private education would be recommended, as the Harrisburg Public School District is not highly rated.

Within the Harrisburg suburbs:

1) Camp Hill Boro - The boro is lovely, close to Harrisburg City and has a nice small walkable town area. Homes are expensive. 300k will get you less for your money.
2) Hershey - Top rated schools. Walkable downtown. Amazing community amenities. EXPENSIVE.
3) New Cumberland. Close to Harrisburg. Small but cute downtown area. Solid schools.

These are my tops pics.

I would also consider Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Incredibly charming and historic. 300k goes a bit less within its suburbs, but you will find its downtown absolutely amazing.

It is one of the oldest inland cities in America. (The charm factor is INSANE).

Lancaster is within 40 minutes of Harrisburg International Airport.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 PM

864 posts, read 2,205,888 times
Thanks so much! I was in Camp Hill about 7 years ago (I may be off a bit), and found it charming. I've tried to look up midtown and uptown on Zillow, but there are very few homes. Those that are listed seem remarkably inexpensive, which concerns me a bit. I'm hoping to make a trip out there soon, but my time will be limited. It's always nice to get the opinion of a local!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area