U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 PM

194 posts, read 125,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:
The taxes on this house are currently $3603.00
It has an assessed value of $24,820.00
It's a 2400 sq.ft. home on 2.5 acres of land and attached to city water and sewer.
It's taxes in 2005 were $1,417 and current $3,603 ....a little over double in price in 15 years.

For $229,000 I think it's a fair price compared to New York.Don't go by Zillow.
At times they only show the property taxes not the full ( school, municipality etc.. annual amount).
This is a Zillow Problem ......That jump does scare many people at first glance from 2017 to 2108..
I would feel uncomfortable as a retiree if my taxes were to jump from $700 to $3,400. in such a short time.

As another example:
Owning a home in New York City my taxes tripled in 10 years. The main reason I am looking to leave.
After being a productive member of society for almost 40 years once you retire your income is fixed and
the city does not offer any incentives to stay. It is only interested in giving out free cheese at your expense
( hence the rise in property taxes ).

In Conclusion:
Most people retire in their 60's. If all goes well they hope to get a good 30 years before kicking the can.
Purchase a home with the lowest possible property taxes you can find and take it from there. If you start off
paying $2000 a year today and make it another 30 years you'll be paying $8,000 by the time its all over .
Best wishes.
Thank you for your thoughts and the information. I agree that Zillow probably is at fault for publishing those scary numbers (with drastic year-to-year changes). What source do you use? I'll go to the source if I need to, but do you know of a good source where I can find accurate data for more than just one town or county at a time?

Also, where is high-speed internet available in rural PA!?!? Does it exist? I guess that's a question for another post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:31 PM

10,382 posts, read 3,025,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Thank you for your thoughts and the information. I agree that Zillow probably is at fault for publishing those scary numbers (with drastic year-to-year changes). What source do you use? I'll go to the source if I need to, but do you know of a good source where I can find accurate data for more than just one town or county at a time?

Also, where is high-speed internet available in rural PA!?!? Does it exist? I guess that's a question for another post.
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

You are quite welcome.
Unfortunately I do not have any sources. I can sum up everything to constant researching and comparing.
I find reviewing one particular address across many different real estate apps gives me quite a bit of accumulative
information as an example. Hope this is helpful.

As far as high -speed internet.......I haven't crossed that bridge yet but satellite sounds the best option.
AT&T has been a solid connection for me. No problem in Pennsylvania.Virginia, Maryland, Carolinas ,Geogia
or New York and the Tri State Area. Definitely makes for another Intersting topic. Best wishes.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 498 times
Default NY tax rates - HEY!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion: Hey here is My Situation my Parents House up here in ULSTER CTY NY is assessed @263,000 - the tAX bills I have paid are 5,743.23 dollars for School Taxes ALONe - plus 2120.00 approx for Town of Woodstock Taxes --- sounds like PA is sort of tax hell like my situation.!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have been doing some research as place of possible retirement.
Pa is one option. Access to amenities and city services change values
but for the most part I experienced that suburban towns share common
taxes dispensations.

My studies conclude on average ( call it ball park if you will ) the following:

Homes costing $50,000 annual property taxes of $1,000
Homes costing $100,000 annual property taxes of $2,000
Homes costing $200,000 annual property taxes of $4,000
Homes costing $300,000 annual property taxes of $6,000
Homes costing $400,000 annual property taxes of $8,000

If the home is remodeled on the outside taxes jump to what the appreciated value would be.
If the home is is remodeled on the inside and the outside looks like its getting ready to crumble? No jump.

If the home is hooked up to city water and sewer taxes jump.
Not so much for well water and septic.

The trend seems to be that if you want to a maintain the lowest possible taxes in PA
move to a rural area. Choose well water and septic over city and sewer.
Choose Bottled gas over Oil delivery or gas line.
Keep far away from school districts.
Do Not fix up the outside of your home........strange as it sounds. Only make necessary repairs.
I am open to constructive criticism on this matter..........

Old 09-04-2020, 03:14 AM

10,382 posts, read 3,025,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyspokes77 View Post
Opinion:

The trend seems to be that if you want to a maintain the lowest possible taxes in PA
move to a rural area.

Yup.....that extra $3,000 grand just for living in the town/village
of Woodstock rather than a bit more rural is a big hit on a wallet of any size.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:35 PM

7,304 posts, read 2,733,966 times
First, don't live anwhere near Philly, Pittsburgh, or the New Jersey border.

Step two, live another 20 minutes to half hour outside of the nearest town.

See what you come up with.

PA is arguably the least of the Northeast Coastal states, but it still is one and while cheaper than virtually all of the rest its taxes and costs will still move with the rest at a trailing pace. NC doesn't approach it in category. None of the Southern States do aside from MD-VA.

Ohio could be a better option. I hear that people like Toledo. Delaware could also be a good option.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:05 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,025,578 times
If your option is Pa. vs Va. then I would argue for Va. gasoline is way less, electric is very low(compared to NY). Friendlier climate. Real estate tax is simply less than Pa.
As a NYC retiree I was/am looking into Pa. as my pension would not be taxed there. But I find the RE taxes kind of high for what I am looking at. I could live in Va near Harrison or Staunton, anywhere in that valley and come out ahead of Pa. in dollars. Still comes out to less after paying Va state income tax . YMMV

Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,235,873 times
Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income so it generally is considered a retirement friendly state. There are a handful of municipalities with high property taxes, but overall Pennsylvania's property tax is in the upper middle. I believe around 15 or so highest in the country. New Jersey is the highest, followed by states like New York and yes Texas actually has incredibly high property taxes.

If you move to municipalities with a strong commercial base the taxes are actually reasonable. For example Upper Merion Township, PA has a fairly low property tax rate.

The trade off is property values then are higher.

Sales tax in Pennsylvania also are not terrible and many items are tax free. For the Northeast Pennsylvania ranks probably most favorable in regards to taxes.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,025,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income so it generally is considered a retirement friendly state. There are a handful of municipalities with high property taxes, but overall Pennsylvania's property tax is in the upper middle. I believe around 15 or so highest in the country. New Jersey is the highest, followed by states like New York and yes Texas actually has incredibly high property taxes.I keep hearing that about Texas. I've got to check that out.

If you move to municipalities with a strong commercial base the taxes are actually reasonable. For example Upper Merion Township, PA has a fairly low property tax rate.

The trade off is property values then are higher.

Sales tax in Pennsylvania also are not terrible and many items are tax free. For the Northeast Pennsylvania ranks probably most favorable in regards to taxes.I think NH might edge out PA. no sales tax, no income tax. It's true though that your real estate tax bill can run high (7000 an up) However a lot of the places in PA that interest me have RE tax in that range.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,235,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Yes the desirable locations in Pennsylvania can be a bit tax heavy. What regions/areas were you considering?

I am guessing you are retired. For many the lack of retirement income tax kind of makes the higher property tax bill not as bad. Usually property values also align with tax value. So homes with higher property taxes cost less, and those with the lower property taxes cost more. Again the municipalities with a high amount of commercial office space actually have pretty reasonable property taxes.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:56 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,134,721 times
I don't think you are going to find bargains in PA. I lived there years back. I love the state but taxes are high.

Parts of PA are going to have good medical. Satellites from the medical centers.

As I look for a home in PA I find a lot of run down properties. Not a good idea moving into an area where people are moving out. Decline breeds decline, witness NJ.

The ramifications of covid on state and local governments. It's fools play for a few years to try to figure out what taxes are going to be like.

I know people that have moved to TN. All are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area