Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 04:37 AM

10 posts, read 8,971 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling from NYC to Harrisburg, then picking up a rental car to travel around various sites.

Hope I don't sound too stupid but... what is the "downtown" area like? Is it walkable, is it safe? From the map it looks great but there's only so much you can tell from a map. I'd like to see the Capitol district and amble around before I get my car. I'm a NYer and I enjoy ambling around on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 07:13 AM

445 posts, read 414,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamoon View Post
I'm traveling from NYC to Harrisburg, then picking up a rental car to travel around various sites.

Hope I don't sound too stupid but... what is the "downtown" area like? Is it walkable, is it safe? From the map it looks great but there's only so much you can tell from a map. I'd like to see the Capitol district and amble around before I get my car. I'm a NYer and I enjoy ambling around on foot.
The downtown area is totally safe and very easy to get around on foot. Occasionally some weirdos hang around the Amtrak station but that's typical of anywhere. Definitely check out the area around the Capitol, walk along the river trail or across the Walnut Street Bridge, and if you have time get lunch at the Broad Street Market!

Old 09-22-2021, 12:33 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times
Downtown is super walkable. Check out the PA State Capital and adjacent capital park. The Forum nearby is neat. The PA State Museum is a great place to visit worth a few hours and it has a cool planetarium. Walk along the scenic river park, or across Walnut Street bridge (an old road bridge that is now for pedestrians exclusively) to City Island (home to the baseball team/stadium, mini golf course, mini railroad, batting cages, arcade, the riverboat - Pride of the Susquehanna, and idk they used to have horse carriage rides too).

There is Second Street between Market and Forster where you’ll find plenty of restaurants and bars. Also Millworks in Midtown or Harvest in Susquehanna Shoppes (outside the city) are more upscale places - highly recommend both.

Harrisburg is a neat small city, definitely walkable and safe during the day. Yeah there are homeless but they tend to be up near Bethesda Mission or panhandling along Cameron Street. Most crime in the city is concentrated, and not downtown or midtown.

Bonus places (not as walkable from downtown, unless you are a walker) - PA Fire Museum in Midtown, Susquehanna Art Museum, National Civil War Museum in Reservoir Park, and Wildwood Park in the far north if you are a nature enthusiast. Obviously there’s Hershey and all it has to offer (too much to list).

Harrisburg is a nice place to visit, hope you enjoy your stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area