U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,190,064 times

Advertisements

The Baltimore Sun printed a letter from Harrisburg native son Newt Gingrich: https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...dbi-story.html mentioning Baltimore's well known problems and the fact that he is originally from Harrisburg. I live in the hood in Baltimore, so I am well acquainted with urban blight. That's why I was surprised to see blight when I had to get off the backed up expressway when driving through Harrisburg this past Saturday. What I saw wasn't worse than Baltimore, but it wasn't much better. I remember thinking to myself, why do people in places like Harrisburg think Baltimore is the worst place in the country? Are they kidding themselves?

Here is your chance to tell me why your city is way better than my city. So have at it!

PS: I was much more impressed with York during a similar off-the-expressway tour last year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,487,561 times
The worst areas in Baltimore are worse than the worst areas in Harrisburg IMO, but that is largely a function of Baltimore being a larger city (and also an independent city not part of any county, which means its tax base isn't kept within a related, intra-county jurisdiction). The bad areas in Harrisburg aren't very good either but they aren't as geographically extensive.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:57 AM

561 posts, read 418,759 times
Where are bad areas in and around Harrisburg? How bad is the crimes

Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM

125 posts, read 92,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
The Baltimore Sun printed a letter from Harrisburg native son Newt Gingrich: https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...dbi-story.html mentioning Baltimore's well known problems and the fact that he is originally from Harrisburg. I live in the hood in Baltimore, so I am well acquainted with urban blight. That's why I was surprised to see blight when I had to get off the backed up expressway when driving through Harrisburg this past Saturday. What I saw wasn't worse than Baltimore, but it wasn't much better. I remember thinking to myself, why do people in places like Harrisburg think Baltimore is the worst place in the country? Are they kidding themselves?

Here is your chance to tell me why your city is way better than my city. So have at it!

PS: I was much more impressed with York during a similar off-the-expressway tour last year.
I know this is an older posting but I just saw it today. First of all I do not live in Harrisburg proper, but I do live just outside the city and I am over there enough quite often both professionally and personally. Also I am originally from Philly, but I think comparisons I make are similar.

A lot of that thinking is based on small town thinking. One thing I noticed when I moved to the area is how much the people in the Central Pa area do not like big(er) cities like Philly and Pittsburgh. Philly in particular. They tend to think big cities are the cause of a lot of the state’s problems, but they do not want to acknowledge that big cities also generate the big solutions as well.
A lot of people in this area are born local, if they go to college then they most likely go to Penn State, and then they get a job with a local(ish) company so they can stay close to the family an friends they’ve know their lives. Rinse and repeat.

The other whom I refer to as transplants like myself, may move here to get a break from the big city like I did. Or they moved back due to family issues. Or because it is cheaper to live, but doesn’t have as many options as a bigger city.

Comparing a city like Harrisburg, to a city like Baltimore, really is apples versus oranges. Baltimore has more population, more people/infrastructure to support so by default the problems would be seen as worse. However, a city like Baltimore could also bounce back from tough times more easily unlike Harrisburg. In the almost 20 years I've lived here the one consistent thing I see is the city is always broke, or barely making it.

A city the size of Baltimore can attract money from businesses. A city the size of Baltimore has an identity that can be marketed to by companies trying to sell stuff consumers. Whereas unless you are looking to do some type of business with the state, most companies aren’t looking to move near Harrisburg.

p.s. I find it funny you were more impressed with York , because York is worse than both Baltimore and Harrisburg imo. Infrastructure wise especially. I joke with some of my coworkers in other states that no one comes to York for anything. You go through it to get to other places like Gettysburg in the west, Philly/Lancaster in the east, Harrisburg in the north, and Baltimore in the south.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:19 PM

628 posts, read 426,411 times
Baltimore is a larger city and more intimidating for outsiders to visit. From the general public's perception, Baltimore is recognized as being more notorious for crime, corruption, and civil unrest (e.g. media coverage of Freddie Gray, the 2015 protests, The Wire, and former mayor Catherine Pugh being indicted for fraud/tax evasion relating to her children's book). Pound-for-pound, Baltimore is overall worse for crime than either Harrisburg or York, with the following statistics released by the FBI recently in 2019 for the year 2018:

FBI Offenses Known to Law Enforcement
by State by City, 2018
Uniform Crime Reporting
Total Incidents

Baltimore, MD
Population: 602,495
Total violent crimes (2018): 11,100
Total violent crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 1,842.3

Total property crimes (2018): 27,217
Total property crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 4,517.4

Harrisburg, PA
Population: 49,229
Total violent crimes (2018): 531
Total violent crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 1,078.6

Total property crimes (2018): 1,252
Total property crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 2,543.2

York, PA
Population: 44,118
Total violent crimes (2018): 450
Total violent crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 1,020.0

Total property crimes (2018): 1,137
Total property crime rate (2018) per 100,000: 2,577.2

As you can see Harrisburg and York are fairly comparable, and both are much lower than Baltimore. York recorded more homicides (20) than Harrisburg (15). Both are obviously much lower than Baltimore's homicides (309). Keep in mind the above statistics are for crimes known/reported to law enforcement, so we will not know the real final statistics. This was time-consuming using my tablet, and calculating the rates by hand. I would include my link, but CD discourages that. It can be found in the 2018 FBI crime report, Crime in the U.S. 2018, Table 8. More detailed analysis could be performed to compare the specific crime categories (burglary, for example). Hopefully this information is helpful and can be used for comparison!

Last edited by g500; 11-20-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area