U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to PA when we retire in a few years. We are from Bergen County, North Jersey. Anyone make the move recently or have any recommendations. We plan to visit soon to check out the area. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 PM

234 posts, read 197,508 times
What are you looking for in a community, specifically?

Old 10-18-2019, 12:30 PM

206 posts, read 116,516 times
My husband and I are considering the same thing. We're west coasters, but our grown kids are both settled in the east so we're looking for a place to settle/retire with access to them that doesn't involve a flight. Lancaster and the broader Lancaster county area was recommended by a few people and we've investigated it as much as we can from afar. In a month though we'll be in Connecticut for a temporary job for my husband and while there I will be doing some broad roaming around looking for a suitable place for us to settle. I think we're pretty set on PA, but want to spend some time in the Lancaster area specifically to see if it feels like a good fit. I look forward to reading the responses to this thread.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 6,055 times
The South-Central PA area, Lancaster, Lebanon, York, Adams, Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, and Franklin counties offer a lot of opportunities for just about every life-style and taste. About any type of housing you care for is available from rural to suburban to city, new or old historic, apartment to row home. I can't think of anything you can't get in your car and buy here, there's any kind of shopping from big malls to tiny shops of every variety, and farmers markets are popular all over the area. Continued education is available from one of the many colleges in the area, theaters, museums, parks. Major cities like Baltimore, Philly, Washington, New York are within driving distance. Outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, bicycling, scenic photography, and many other things.

The cities like Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon have their problem areas as most cities do, but they also have their nicer historic areas as well. The thing is, you make friends, greet neighbors and learn where to go and where to avoid.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:00 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,094,835 times
Lancaster is an absolutely beautiful historic small city (the oldest inland city in the USA). It has a vibrant and beautiful downtown, surrounded by bucolic farmland and a suburban area offering any amenity you would need.

Amtrak is a pleasant 60 minute train ride to Philadelphia, so your access to amenities is endless.

I highly recommend Lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area