Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,258 times

Advertisements

im actually thinking of the same thing. I am going to relocate to the Hershey area (got a job offer at the Med center). I am what you would call a "left of center". Wow, people get really polarized just by mentioning their lifestyle preferences. I hope this is not a Pa. thing and just a commenter from this site. We are not caucasian, and I would like to know if that is an issue in the Hershey area, or are people welcoming of ethnic diversity?
If you find out where to move, could you let me know as well? I was thinking Hershey, but then some people are suggesting Harrisburg or Hummelstown. If you have had any info, please let me know. I gotta start looking for a place to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 PM

434 posts, read 3,170,436 times
Hummelstown is right next door to Hershey, but a lot less expensive to live in. As far as diversity goes, because of the Medical Center there is quite a bit of it in the Hershey area and the people that work at the Medical Center tend to be pretty open minded. Because of the diversity you can even find some ethnic foods and spices at the local grocery store that you can't always find at grocery stores in Harrisburg.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,889,401 times
Your best bet is to get on the websites for the school districts in the area, find the high school with the best ratings on standardized test scores, SAT scores, high school graduation rates, percentage of graduates going to 4-year colleges, number of AP courses offered, etc. -- and then buy a house in that school pyramid. As a family with an Indian background, you might also check the demographics to make sure that your kids won't be the only non-whites in the school.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 145,053 times
Try Manheim Township. Its a bit closer to Lancaster but bar none the best school district out in that area. A 20-25 min commute to Hershey and has access to expressways and stuff to get everywhere including your husband to his job in DC. Manheim Township is also prettier than Hershey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area