U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 PM

299 posts, read 404,062 times

Advertisements

One of the best pieces of advice we were given, when we moved to a very small town outside of Gettysburg...was join the local volunteer fire dept. They are always looking for volunteers, not just in firefighting!

We did and have been made to feel very welcome. In other words, if you don't know already...give to the local community. Not in terms of money but in terms of time. Let them get to know who you are first. Stay away from political discussions, religious discussions until you are established in the community.

We are retirement age but not retired but between our business, the Fire Hall, our house...we are extremely busy and very happy with our choice. They have bent over backwards to make us feel at home. Hope the same will be for you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 09:29 PM

880 posts, read 1,677,806 times
I grew up in Lancaster, specifically in Landisville. I moved away after graduating from college and have lived all over ever since. Oklahoma, Kentucky, Delaware, Southern California, Texas, Alaska, and now Vegas. Nothing really bad to say about any of them, mostly good actually, but there's no place like Lancaster. It is full of wonderful people and a great place to live. I'm fortunate that I still have family there and can visit from time to time, but man, I sorely miss it. If it was possible, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 AM

584 posts, read 251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Here's another thread about native friendliness in central PA.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nort...ends-nepa.html
No it's a thread about relocating to NORTHEASTERN PA. A place 100+ miles away from Lancaster with little, to nothing, in common with the culture, weather, opportunities, or residents of the city of Lancaster. I've spent two decades being raised in the Lehigh Valley, three more in the Poconos, and now a few years living in the country, outside of Lancaster city. My current location is, hands down, a far better place than any other location I've lived in. From the people, to the work ethics, to the scenery, it's a home run. Don't direct the OP to a thread debating if certain neighborhoods in the Wilkes-Barre area have hit "rock bottom" yet, and weather having a grating Brooklyn accent is impacting a recently relocated NYC dweller's ability to integrate in the community. (hint: yes it is) It's not even apples to oranges. Same state, but the two areas often seem to be on different planets.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM

214 posts, read 202,703 times
We lived just N of Lancaster, in Lititz, for 10 years. We left for business reasons - otherwise would likely still be there. Here are some absolute highlights of the area, because when you speak of Lancaster you will find a pretty flexible definition of the term. It's more than downtown. But here are the things I miss....

#1 hands down favorite thing: The Fulton Theater
Central Market
Universal Health Club - the absolute best gym I've ever known or heard of
Aaron's Books - a little indie in Lititz
Sunday nights in the summer - free concerts at Longs Park
There's a Wegman's there now!!!! BEST grocery store in the US
The absolutely stunning drive between Intercourse and US 30 - I think it's Rt. 772.
First Friday art walks downtown
Amtrak access to Philadelphia and NYC
The easy interface with Amish and Mennonite culture - whereas other places, people go nuts in slow traffic, in Lancaster that's only the case until you see that it's a buggy

As for the friendliness factor, it's true that if you get involved with a civic group or church it will give you a tremendous base of operation. True that some folks are long long time residents of the area, or of PA in general, and it can be a bit provincial but I never had a problem. I am a firm believer that we bring who we are into life, wherever we live. If you're an outgoing, busy person you'll have a connected, busy life.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 PM

205 posts, read 116,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
We lived just N of Lancaster, in Lititz, for 10 years. We left for business reasons - otherwise would likely still be there. Here are some absolute highlights of the area, because when you speak of Lancaster you will find a pretty flexible definition of the term. It's more than downtown. But here are the things I miss....
Thank you for this list! In a couple days my husband and I are going to begin a month-long stay in Lancaster with the intention of really sinking into the area, doing some potential home-hunting, walking, driving, eating, shopping, hiking (weather permitting), and all the things necessary to being able to make an informed decision about moving there. I'll definitely be doing the drive you recommend, checking out the Universal gym, and all the rest!

Old 02-14-2020, 04:19 PM

214 posts, read 202,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Thank you for this list! In a couple days my husband and I are going to begin a month-long stay in Lancaster with the intention of really sinking into the area, doing some potential home-hunting, walking, driving, eating, shopping, hiking (weather permitting), and all the things necessary to being able to make an informed decision about moving there. I'll definitely be doing the drive you recommend, checking out the Universal gym, and all the rest!
A few added things to enjoy or appreciate - my lists are things we enjoyed a lot and/or put on our list for visiting friends and family:

Buggy parking at Costco

Wilbur Chocolate - for years and years, made in Lititz but like many companies, sold out to a big corporation. their store is still fun! Older than Hershey

Yes there's an Apple store at Park City Mall

American Music Theater - if you're in town, see if there's something on the schedule you'd like

A touristy spot but the real deal in many ways - the Amish community around Intercourse

A must visit: the massive buffet at Shady Maple

Roots Market (not 100% sure they are open in the winter but check just in case)

You're about 30 minutes from Hershey and the MANY attractions there

Strasburg isn't far and there's an incredible train museum there - but if that's not your thing, it's another beautiful drive down that way

Granted it's a longish day trip but you can do a day trip to DC

Day tripping to Gettysburg

Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:10 AM

31,438 posts, read 70,412,771 times
My ex and his family hail from suburban Lancaster, so I became very familiar with Lancaster County over the years as we visited numerous times.

I miss it dearly, but I haven't been back since 2016 because there's a lot of bad memories there now.

Overall? Lancaster City is a fantastic, walkable, artsy city with adorable historic architecture. It's generally safe. Lancaster County ranges from sprawling suburbia with new construction homes/townhomes to bucolic agricultural lands inhabited by the Amish on the periphery.

Lancaster is home to an Apple Store, Whole Foods Market, and Wegman's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trader Joe's following suit and coming to Lancaster in the next several years.

Lititz is one of my favorite small towns in the state.

Pro tip: Visit Pine View Dairy. Delicious ice cream! Wonderful atmosphere. Friendly folks. It's located just southwest of the city.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM

Thank you, lynnc99 and SteelCutyRising! We've been here for 3 days now and begun our exploring. I love these lists of things to do, places to visit. So far we've just been in the city (have a month-long short term rental here) and have totally enjoyed walking all over, visiting the Central Market, the library, the Anytime Fitness gym, Franklin & Marshall, various coffee shops and restaurants. We'll see some theater and live music in the coming weeks and also begin our driving explorations of the broader county in the next day or two.

We really like it here in the short few days we've had so far. Assuming we could find the right place to buy, I can't see a single reason not to move here.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:58 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Thank you, lynnc99 and SteelCutyRising! We've been here for 3 days now and begun our exploring. I love these lists of things to do, places to visit. So far we've just been in the city (have a month-long short term rental here) and have totally enjoyed walking all over, visiting the Central Market, the library, the Anytime Fitness gym, Franklin & Marshall, various coffee shops and restaurants. We'll see some theater and live music in the coming weeks and also begin our driving explorations of the broader county in the next day or two.

We really like it here in the short few days we've had so far. Assuming we could find the right place to buy, I can't see a single reason not to move here.
That sounds wonderful! Also do not forget the convenience of taking the Amtrak to Philadelphia for a lovely day trip in one of America's most historic cities!! It is only a 1hr 15 min train ride! (It is actually faster than driving).

Another reason why Lancaster is truly amazing!

In Philadelphia, I recommend doing the City Hall tour. It is only open M - F. And the Mural Arts tour. Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 PM

Thank you, rowhomecity, for that excellent suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area