Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 993 times

Advertisements

Hello, All.
I used citydata forum years ago when traveling a lot. Now I may be settling in for a job near East York (Yorklyn? Near rts 30 and 24). I'm not familiar much with the area. I saw some useful posts about neighborhoods, but the posts are kind of old. So where do you think I should look for apartment complexes? I filled out the form below, but here's the short of it: I'm 47 but never married and no kids, so no related concerns. I'm active and outdoorsy, but the outdoors are all over PA, so no worries there. I do prefer to be where the young professionals who work near York choose to live when they like nice bars and coffee shops, shopping not too far away. I'm living short-term in York right now, and I know now that I don't want to live right inside York. Lancaster will be an unjustifiable commute (I can just visit there, or York, or Harrisburg on a weekend if I want). So I guess I'm the guy who once always wanted to live right in the fun of the town but now ok moving just a bit, just a bit, outside the town. Where do the young-to-middle aged professional renters live? Know a specific complex that I should check out? Also, someone told me about "Marrieta." ? Sorry in advance for any redundancies in my message...

PLEASE BOLD FONT YOUR PRIORITIES:

When are you moving? I'm working there now, but in temporary housing, temporary job, MAY make it permanent as I'm tired of the nomad life. Would be a in couple months if permanent.
Where are you coming from? I have an apartment just outside downtown Philly (I've lived all over the country, from rural to city)
Why are you moving? work
Where will you be working? it appears to be just east of East York. Near routes 30 and 24
Have you been here yet? Yes, and I'm in temporary housing right in York near the bars/restaurants. I know I don't want to live right in York. But the commute time is at least really short.

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Rent a one-bedroom (now paying 1160/month--very cheap for Philly), and would prefer to pay a bit less, but it's doable)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? negotiable, really. Just want something clean with w/d and DW

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single 47 year old guy, no kids, never married
Do you prefer public or private schools? irrelevant
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? yep
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Nothing around here is what I'd consider bustling. It's just about right. I don't want to live way out in the country, but being outdoorsy I just need access to it. Also I want relative access to a few coffee shops, bars, restaurants--things I can make a short drive to (walkable would be a nice bonus, but probably not possible if outside the city, I know). I'm the same as a 30-something except I do those things a bit less often now and no longer want to be in really loud/busy bars typical of downtown Philly. No kids so I do the same things as I did 15 years ago, only less often and less tolerant of super loud, busy settings when going out. I enjoyed living next door to the bar/coffee shop all these years, but a professional's rental setting "near" those places is better for me now.

What do you want to be closest to? The gym and work (so near East York, possibly between Lancast/York but closest to York), coffee shop/bar of the type you'd typically find directly in York/Lancaster cities. I think I'll be close to my outdoor options by default wherever I go.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I've grew up in the conservative sticks, then lived in various cities. I fit in anywhere. I'll know I'm in the right place if there are young-to-middle aged professionals

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? USA Volleyball.

Thanks, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 AM

129 posts, read 125,843 times
You may want to check out those new apartments they just built/still building on Mt Zion. It's right by the mall where Texas Roadhouse and Hampton in are. I drive by them every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area