U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2020, 02:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,188 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've lived in Harrisburg all my life and sports is a pretty big thing around here, especially high school sports. I know we have some colleges such as HACC, PSU Harrisburg, Messiah, Harrisburg U, and LVC (if you'd even count that). The Harrisburg area is growing everyday and it is already big enough that it seems strange to me that Harrisburg would not have a major college.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2020, 04:34 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 4,033,893 times
Reputation: 4486
Harrisburg is where the PA government is headquartered. Some state capitals have their state universities in the same location like Madison, Wisconsin (University of Wisconsin), Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State University), Austin, Texas (University of Texas), etc.


But the site for the land grant university for PA (Penn State) was chosen by a governor who was from Bellefonte with the purported reason that the site was in the geographic center of the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 PM
 
2,422 posts, read 827,182 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhpardeep589 View Post
I've lived in Harrisburg all my life and sports is a pretty big thing around here, especially high school sports. I know we have some colleges such as HACC, PSU Harrisburg, Messiah, Harrisburg U, and LVC (if you'd even count that). The Harrisburg area is growing everyday and it is already big enough that it seems strange to me that Harrisburg would not have a major college.
Maybe the Harrisburg colleges should merge. Otherwise, consider Harrisburg lucky to have 6 colleges!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2020, 04:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,188 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Harrisburg is where the PA government is headquartered. Some state capitals have their state universities in the same location like Madison, Wisconsin (University of Wisconsin), Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State University), Austin, Texas (University of Texas), etc.


But the site for the land grant university for PA (Penn State) was chosen by a governor who was from Bellefonte with the purported reason that the site was in the geographic center of the state.
It's a bummer that Penn State was put in a remote location instead of the capital. Hopefully we can have a decent college within the city limits in the years to come.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
State College or as they call it Happy Valley is truly an incredible place. But if Penn State's Main College campus was located in Harrisburg it would be a COMPLETE GAME CHANGER for the city/metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Center City Philadelphia
126 posts, read 111,973 times
Reputation: 109
Harrisburg University is growing but still doesn't compare to having a major college within city limits. While I like the "downtown campus" aesthetic they have going on I would have preferred a more traditional campus on all the vacant land along Cameron Street, for example.

Agree with others that if Penn State was placed in Harrisburg (as it should have been!) it would have been a game changer. Even Penn State "Harrisburg" is in Middletown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 10:39 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
36,560 posts, read 47,169,410 times
Reputation: 47495
And the University of Maryland, the "flagship" of the state system is in Hyattsville, MD (more or less) not the capital of Annapolis.

The state system in PA was designed to place colleges so students were no more than 75 miles from one (using the population when it was initiated). That was also taken into consideration when the branch campuses of both it and Pitt were developed. Penn State was placed in the geographic center of the state because the land for it was donated:
https://www.psu.edu/this-is-penn-state/our-history

Some of you sound like you grew up in Maryland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And the University of Maryland, the "flagship" of the state system is in Hyattsville, MD (more or less) not the capital of Annapolis.

The state system in PA was designed to place colleges so students were no more than 75 miles from one (using the population when it was initiated). That was also taken into consideration when the branch campuses of both it and Pitt were developed. Penn State was placed in the geographic center of the state because the land for it was donated:
https://www.psu.edu/this-is-penn-state/our-history

Some of you sound like you grew up in Maryland.
What are you talking about? The flagship of Maryland's college is in College Park, MD which is on the Redline probably about 12 miles from DC city line. I know because I went to school in DC at American on the same public transit line serviced by UMD.

Maryland is a rather small state in terms of land area and has become very suburbanized. Its connection with DC is strong. I do not know much about the history of UMD but Annapolis serves more of a suburban city than its own metro area which is very different than most state capitals that are independent of the states largest city.

I really do think State College, Pennsylvania is a very pretty and amazing college town/small city. But if Penn State was located in Harrisburg it most likely would of turned the Harrisburg metro into almost an Austin sort of vibe. With lots of young talent. Business incubators and a scenic back drop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 02:06 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
36,560 posts, read 47,169,410 times
Reputation: 47495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
What are you talking about? The flagship of Maryland's college is in College Park, MD which is on the Redline probably about 12 miles from DC city line. I know because I went to school in DC at American on the same public transit line serviced by UMD.

Maryland is a rather small state in terms of land area and has become very suburbanized. Its connection with DC is strong. I do not know much about the history of UMD but Annapolis serves more of a suburban city than its own metro area which is very different than most state capitals that are independent of the states largest city.

I really do think State College, Pennsylvania is a very pretty and amazing college town/small city. But if Penn State was located in Harrisburg it most likely would of turned the Harrisburg metro into almost an Austin sort of vibe. With lots of young talent. Business incubators and a scenic back drop.
I'm talking that College Park didn't exist until UMD was founded as a-wait for it- land grant university just like Penn State with the same mission of agriculture and mechanical education. The area around UMD was just as rural then as what became State College.

But Penn State wasn't put in Harrisburg so that horse is is out of the barn over 150 years ago.

Like I said, a lot of you sound like you're from Maryland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 02:34 PM
 
330 posts, read 122,088 times
Reputation: 626
I spent some time in Harrisburg pre COVID for work and the first thing that came to mind after walking around the downtown area was how fabulous it would have been had Penn State been based in Harrisburg, adjacent to downtown and the state capitol. It would have made for a much more lively and dynamic Harrisburg, and I agree it'd have taken on an Austin or Ann Arbor vibe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top