U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 05:52 PM

590 posts, read 271,002 times

Advertisements

Jake, I'm going to be a bit vague here to protect privacy, but this story will always blow me away. A guy I know is a van driver for the plain sects. He gets a gig to drive a large plain family, in their twelve passenger full sized van, pulling their substantial enclosed trailer, on a week long vacation. They get to a place on the Chesapeake bay. It's a waterfront mansion with an heated, indoor pool of the bay. The driver is curious as to how the elder of the family decided to rent such an extravagant place? The elder tells him that it's actually his house. He bought it for an investment, and rents it as a vacation rental, for insane amounts per week. He then says that maybe next year they will got to the outer banks, where his brother owns a nice place like this, on the beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 PM

1,057 posts, read 850,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Jake, I'm going to be a bit vague here to protect privacy, but this story will always blow me away. A guy I know is a van driver for the plain sects. He gets a gig to drive a large plain family, in their twelve passenger full sized van, pulling their substantial enclosed trailer, on a week long vacation. They get to a place on the Chesapeake bay. It's a waterfront mansion with an heated, indoor pool of the bay. The driver is curious as to how the elder of the family decided to rent such an extravagant place? The elder tells him that it's actually his house. He bought it for an investment, and rents it as a vacation rental, for insane amounts per week. He then says that maybe next year they will got to the outer banks, where his brother owns a nice place like this, on the beach.
Amazing. I think they've been doing this type of business for decades. Real estate and land development and home building is almost like a family tradition to them.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 AM

874 posts, read 323,238 times
Any suggestions for a budget around $150 to 200k? Smaller is better and NOT a condo, not isolated in an extremely rural area and not smack in the middle of shopping centers either. I like the Cornwall area a little. Right now I'm just trying to see if my budget is doable. And no, I don't care about good schools (remember--I'm retirement age).

Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM

299 posts, read 409,904 times
Look at towns outside of some of the bigger towns/cities possibly in the southern part of the state. However, the prices have been going up as folks flee the more urban areas in various states.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:33 AM

2,371 posts, read 3,569,440 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am heading to the area next week to search for a retirement home. Keep the suggestions coming! Greatly appreciated! I must say, I am FREAKED OUT by these Radon systems that are in these homes. Something to be concerned about? Deal breaker? Last thing I want to hear is the system going off as I’m watching TV, lol.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:01 AM

There is an excellent community where many retired people live in, but it's a mix of retired and younger people which is called Valley Brook. It's located in Manheim Township part of Lancaster, less then a 10 minute drive into downtown Lancaster. Has a clubhouse, pool and really pretty natural environment to it and walking distance to some places. They are condo's and townhouses to purchase. Around 150K to 180k

Prices are high nowadays so good luck.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am heading to the area next week to search for a retirement home. Keep the suggestions coming! Greatly appreciated! I must say, I am FREAKED OUT by these Radon systems that are in these homes. Something to be concerned about? Deal breaker? Last thing I want to hear is the system going off as I’m watching TV, lol.
The last thing I’d need is to die of radon poisoning, but that’s just me.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 4,211,035 times
You may want to have a gander at the threads linked below if you haven't done so already:

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...er-yes-no.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ople-rude.html

Old 02-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The last thing I’d need is to die of radon poisoning, but that’s just me.
You can't get away from the Radon issue if your buying in the South Central PA area, esp in Lancaster County. It rises from the ground due to limestone in the soil. It's not a big issue, if you have a Radon system in your home. The system doesn't "go off" but is rather a ventilation system under the basement. It did freak me out the first time I saw a huge system in the basement of a home I wanted to buy when we first moved to PA. The more I understand about the situation, the more it doesn't bother me.

Homes are selling like hotcakes in Lancaster area, so I assume it doesn't bother most.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:10 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
You can't get away from the Radon issue if your buying in the South Central PA area, esp in Lancaster County. It rises from the ground due to limestone in the soil. It's not a big issue, if you have a Radon system in your home. The system doesn't "go off" but is rather a ventilation system under the basement. It did freak me out the first time I saw a huge system in the basement of a home I wanted to buy when we first moved to PA. The more I understand about the situation, the more it doesn't bother me.

Homes are selling like hotcakes in Lancaster area, so I assume it doesn't bother most.
It was more directed toward the notion that radon detectors are bad because they might interrupt TV time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area