U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:20 AM

2,405 posts, read 3,610,441 times

Advertisements

As the OP, I was unable to get to the Lancaster area last month. I’m heading there on Sunday. I will checkout the suggested areas. I’ve also came across East Petersburgh. Worth while exploring? Any other towns I should add to the list?

Thanks once again M
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 10:51 PM

982 posts, read 1,072,378 times
East Pete is nice, make sure to have lunch/dinner/beer at the Mad Chef. Look it up. Yumm!

Old 03-29-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
East Pete is nice, make sure to have lunch/dinner/beer at the Mad Chef. Look it up. Yumm!
Thanks JT!

Old 04-01-2021, 07:27 AM

Can anyone give insight on York PA? I remember last year driving around in a very nice area. However, some of the RE listings show otherwise.

Again, I am heading to the Lancaster area on Sunday.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,359,957 times
Of the three Pennsylvania cities: Lancaster, Harrisburg and York. York is overall the least desirable.

I would suggest looking in the surrounding Lancaster areas from Manhiem to Ephrata and also look around Mt. Joy and Elizabethtown if you want to stay in Lancaster County.

Hershey is also another desirable area in the Harrisburg metro about 35 minutes northwest of Lancaster.

I would not recommend York. It has a charming downtown area, but its economy is the least robust/diverse so it tends to have less amenities and has a strong blue collar feel since it lacks white collar industries or notable Universities: which both Lancaster and Harrisburg have.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Of the three Pennsylvania cities: Lancaster, Harrisburg and York. York is overall the least desirable.

I would suggest looking in the surrounding Lancaster areas from Manhiem to Ephrata and also look around Mt. Joy and Elizabethtown if you want to stay in Lancaster County.

Hershey is also another desirable area in the Harrisburg metro about 35 minutes northwest of Lancaster.

I would not recommend York. It has a charming downtown area, but its economy is the least robust/diverse so it tends to have less amenities and has a strong blue collar feel since it lacks white collar industries or notable Universities: which both Lancaster and Harrisburg have.
Thanks Row! I have your areas on my list!

Old 04-05-2021, 11:46 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,359,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Thanks Row! I have your areas on my list!
I meant to say Manhiem Township.. Pennsylvania has a unique way of distinguishing towns and townships for localities.

And Manhiem Township is the immediate suburban area next to Lancaster city.

Manhiem the town.. is about 25 minutes north of the city and is much smaller and more isolated.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:29 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,832,193 times
Take a gander at Traditions of America in East Pete.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 AM

I found a great condo listed on Friday. Arrived here on Sat & it was sold. Listed for $285 Sold for 300k Listed for one day.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_40590851/

Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 AM

592 posts, read 280,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I found a great condo listed on Friday. Arrived here on Sat & it was sold. Listed for $285 Sold for 300k Listed for one day.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_40590851/
We bought a sweet, mid-century ranch,with a postcard view, in a great small Lancaster county community, a little over four years ago. We paid a similar amount over list, fought off a few other buyers, spent a full day offering and counter-offering, to top other offers, and bought a house that was on the market for a few hours. When the weather got nice that first spring, we had at several passers by who told us that we beat them to the place, and they would of bought it in a heartbeat, if they knew it was for sale. Including folks that saw the sign in the yard, and called the next day, to hear that it was sold,

Last year a neighbor sold a place. A small, older cape/ranch that was awful to begin with, with things like two "bedrooms" upstairs, that are essentially low roof pitch, tiny Cape style rooms without dormers and outfitted with one tiny window each. These rooms are accessible only with a pull down attic stairs. The place was in terrible condition, and had degraded to the point that two investors I talked to, had done walk-thrus of the property and declared that it was a "tear-down". It sold after a five day showing window followed by review of all offers, at a specified date and time, all tightly controlled by the listing agent. It went for asking, at over $200k and had multiple offers. It needed tens of thousands spent on work to make in habitable, including roofing and gutters, flooring, electrical service replacement, and dozens of other repairs. This work just makes it livable, it still is an awful little place.

Neighbors tell me that the local market has been like this for the last 15-20 years. Selling a nice house, that hits all the desirable wants, like a great family or retiree place? It's gone in hours, to a couple of days. Garbage house, that needs a ton of work, or is butt ugly, in a desirable location, and not over priced by $100k? It's gone in a few days, maybe a few weeks if it's really a stretch. There are homes sold here in LC that don't sell for years in other regions of PA I've lived in. Like fairly decent places that are literally a few feet from the edge of a very busy road. I watched a coworker inherit a home just like that, nice solid old farm house, on the edge of a busy road in the Poconos. He eventually gave up on trying to find a buyer, and had the house demolished, since it had no value but he was still paying all the taxes and expenses every year. Here in LC, that type of home is sold in weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area