Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

Wharton:

Thanks for the information! I think a lot (regardless of which state) has to do with historical interest rates. Over the past few years a 30 year fixed rate is between 2.5%-3% As inflation creeps up on us & interest rates rise, things will level off.

I thought Refi at 4.875% about 10 years ago was a bargain! I refinanced about three+ years ago again at 2.875%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 12:08 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Wharton:

Thanks for the information! I think a lot (regardless of which state) has to do with historical interest rates. Over the past few years a 30 year fixed rate is between 2.5%-3% As inflation creeps up on us & interest rates rise, things will level off.

I thought Refi at 4.875% about 10 years ago was a bargain! I refinanced about three+ years ago again at 2.875%.

Yea with low interest rates your 300k - 400k really is the price point that is in probably the highest demand.... As dual income families can now afford those homes with such low rates.

And Lancaster County has always had lower inventory due to its strict land conversation laws to protect open space and farmland.

That condo you shared a link with. Was very nice, great landscaping and character and awesome location. A shame you did not get it.

Ranches are also a little harder to find as well.. The area is mostly comprised of two story homes. The ranch style homes around Lancaster are typically small starter homes.

Hopefully you found a great agent that can get you to the front of the line next time. Agents have the ability to see homes that are Coming Soon to the market up to a week before it is officially listed. So having an agent on top of your price point and criteria will hopefully put you to the front.

Also when submitting an offer...crazy enough as it sounds but an offer letter can make you stand out to a seller, where you describe a little about yourself and why you like the home and why you want to move to the area. Sometimes Sellers will go with those buyers because they feel like the home will be well cared for.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 04-07-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 03:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Thanks Row!
Retirement is 5 years away. The plan was to buy between now & then. As I research areas. If I bought now, it would be a vacation get away until I retire. Prices now are CRAZY, regardless of what state.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
You can still buy a very nice townhome 3 bedroom in Manheim Township for 200k to 240K. Any 3 bedroom townhouse over 240K is usually near a golf community. Valley Brook as well as Green View are two communities with mostly seniors and they are in great locations right next to Lancaster city.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:10 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Of the three Pennsylvania cities: Lancaster, Harrisburg and York. York is overall the least desirable.

I would not recommend York. It has a charming downtown area, but its economy is the least robust/diverse so it tends to have less amenities and has a strong blue collar feel since it lacks white collar industries or notable Universities: which both Lancaster and Harrisburg have.

You are advised to confine your comments to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Passyunk, Manayunk, etc because you have no idea of which you speak.

York area is home to an incredible number of manufacturers. Compared to the rest of PA, York is an embarrassment of industrial prowess.

Companies in York Area Known Around the World

Old 04-16-2021, 05:53 AM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
York has a Penn State branch campus along with York College. And I agree, I generally think of more manufacturing in York rather than Lancaster. I would just find a place outside York city itself.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You are advised to confine your comments to Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Passyunk, Manayunk, etc because you have no idea of which you speak.

York area is home to an incredible number of manufacturers. Compared to the rest of PA, York is an embarrassment of industrial prowess.

Companies in York Area Known Around the World

I know the Susquehanna Valley as well as I know the Philadelphia region.

Of the three cities: Harrisburg, Lancaster and York.

York has the lowest median income and smallest economy. That is all I stated. And I would not advise that area if you are seeking larger city amenities because it really does not have them.

Whereas Harrisburg and Lancaster do.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:45 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
^ I’m not sure I agree. York is closest to Baltimore, and people pick this area for the lower taxes and direct commute to MD. If anything, I think Harrisburg is the least desirable.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
^ I’m not sure I agree. York is closest to Baltimore, and people pick this area for the lower taxes and direct commute to MD. If anything, I think Harrisburg is the least desirable.

Harrisburg has a much larger and more robust economy than York and has the highest median household income amongst the three cities.

Harrisburg - State and Federal Government, Lobbyist, Law, Enginerring, Medicine

Lancaster - Higher Education, Law, Medicine, Arts/Culture

York - Manufacturing

Are in that order. York is the most blue collar of all the Central Pennsylvania small cities...

How many people from York are going to Baltimore on a daily basis?? That number is probably around 5% - 8% of the population if not lower..

York is the smallest city, with the smallest metro, the highest crime metro wide and the smallest and poorest economy and the lowest educated metro.

Those are all facts.

York has tons of potential... but in comparing the three cities.

Lancaster has the most robust downtown.

Harrisburg has the most potential.

And York also has potential but is by far the furthest behind economically..

Old 04-20-2021, 05:54 AM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Harrisburg has a much larger and more robust economy than York and has the highest median household income amongst the three cities.

Harrisburg - State and Federal Government, Lobbyist, Law, Enginerring, Medicine

Lancaster - Higher Education, Law, Medicine, Arts/Culture

York - Manufacturing

Are in that order. York is the most blue collar of all the Central Pennsylvania small cities...

I found it amusing that somebody would make a snarkly comment, directing you to "stay in your lane" regarding your knowledge. Having read your stuff for years, I'm pretty confident that you know this state better than many of our state's officials do.

The only thing I would add is that it's easy to tour Lancaster city and the immediate surroundings and not see it as an manufacturing powerhouse. It's only when you get to other areas of the county, from the edges of New Holland and Lititz, to all kinds of rural areas, do you get the whole picture. It's really an unusual place, It's nothing to go from one small city in PA, to another, and see the residential sprawl thin out, then the farmlands and forest, then a reverse as you get closer to your destination. Having never passed anything in the way of a manufacturing facility. Here you can take back roads from one small town to another, and end up passing everything from large medical equipment, structural steel, precast concrete, food, and other manufacturers, to dozens of medium to large shed building factories, farm equipment manufacturers of all sizes, etc..

The local paper does a report of the county's business health, ever year. It's a mind blowing read of exactly how far the county punches above it's weight. Everything from being the location of one of the largest bridge builders on the east coast, to manufacturing tens of thousands of custom play structures (upscale swingsets) to billions in food production, it's not only pretty amazing, it's also insanely diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area