U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 PM

131 posts, read 73,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Hershey is really nice. Also I would suggest Manheim Township, which is a suburb of Lancaster city. People are certainly more on the conservative side, and super friendly and accepting of everyone. Many NY/NJ people as well as good diversity here as well. It's really nice here, and I'm originally from North Jersey.

Hi Jake my myself i am from northern NJ as well. What city are you I am from Newark Maplewood area in northern jersey just moved to colonial park pa close to colonial park mall I like it me and my fiance. As far as our jobs we work at the same place they are not too welcoming of interracial couples. Just moved here the end of August its funny how the welcoming is here but WHERE we live is absolutely no issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 08:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 824,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hi Jake my myself i am from northern NJ as well. What city are you I am from Newark Maplewood area in northern jersey just moved to colonial park pa close to colonial park mall I like it me and my fiance. As far as our jobs we work at the same place they are not too welcoming of interracial couples. Just moved here the end of August its funny how the welcoming is here but WHERE we live is absolutely no issues.
I grew up near Paramus NJ in Bergen country.

We moved to PA in March of this year, specifically Manheim Township which is about 5 miles north of Lancaster city. It's really nice here. It's actually very diverse, as you have many Asian's, Latino's (esp in Lancaster city) as well as other races. You also have many NY/NJ people as well as people moving here from other countries. Still lots of conservative white people, but many more moderate and liberal white people moving to this area as well. I love the fact that it's a nice mix and everyone seems to get along and are super friendly. It reminds me a lot of where I grew up in North jersey back in the 80's. North Jersey is very different nowadays compared to back then IMO.

Lot's of fun things going on in Lancaster city, as well as some great restaurants and bars as well as other things to do. It's excellent for families as well. NYC, Philly, Baltimore as well as the beach and ski trips are all a few hours drive away. There is also a train from Lancaster station to Philly and NYC.

PA is certainly more laid back and I can say perhaps even a little boring at times compared to the Metro/Tri-State NY area, but we're very happy we moved here. Mostly we moved here because we relate more to the people here, the cost is half of Bergen County, and I have family in the Reading PA area.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM

1,777 posts, read 2,504,633 times
Quote:
PA is certainly more laid back and I can say perhaps even a little boring at times compared to the Metro/Tri-State NY area.....
True and that's what drew me out here when my friends father put a down payment on lot/house combo back in '96. Started coming out here once the house was built every chance I got to escape the BS attitudes of city people and the racket. Moved out here permanently in Nov. 2007 and still am happy with living out here. I live 1/2 hour south of the Poconos, which has become a mini-NYC, in a small community at the top of a 1,000 ft. high mountain, and less than 5 mins from all shopping I need in Brodheadsville. If there were sidewalks I could walk to Blue Ridge Estate Winery which is becoming quite popular since it opened. Weekends the place is packed and they have live music, taco Tuesdays, and brick-oven pizza on weekends. What better!! I miss Brooklyn I grew up in (downtown Brooklyn and Sunset Park) not what it has become now. I lived there till '73 when I left for the Caribbean and came back in '86. So glad I don't live in that nightmare now. Especially with this virus issue. Where I live the community consists of 102 houses and none are on top of each other. I myself have 1/2 acre corner lot. Trying to hold onto this place as long as I can for now.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:27 PM

205 posts, read 116,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Whats a good area without Democrats and Riots? We want out of NY and love the areas near Strasburg, Hershey, New Holland etc. Trying to get away from the disaster that is Liberal run cities. Thanks
Have you considered West Virginia?

Old 11-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
True and that's what drew me out here when my friends father put a down payment on lot/house combo back in '96. Started coming out here once the house was built every chance I got to escape the BS attitudes of city people and the racket. Moved out here permanently in Nov. 2007 and still am happy with living out here. I live 1/2 hour south of the Poconos, which has become a mini-NYC, in a small community at the top of a 1,000 ft. high mountain, and less than 5 mins from all shopping I need in Brodheadsville. If there were sidewalks I could walk to Blue Ridge Estate Winery which is becoming quite popular since it opened. Weekends the place is packed and they have live music, taco Tuesdays, and brick-oven pizza on weekends. What better!! I miss Brooklyn I grew up in (downtown Brooklyn and Sunset Park) not what it has become now. I lived there till '73 when I left for the Caribbean and came back in '86. So glad I don't live in that nightmare now. Especially with this virus issue. Where I live the community consists of 102 houses and none are on top of each other. I myself have 1/2 acre corner lot. Trying to hold onto this place as long as I can for now.
Many places have been recently invaded by New Yorkers in PA. The entire Allentown and Lehigh Valley is packed with New Yorkers who are looking for more affordable housing. Some nice people but also some low income families as well. My aunt's neighborhood near Allentown/Emmaus has completely changed so much so that she moved out to more central PA.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:31 PM

299 posts, read 404,062 times
Hm...a few Democrats and Republicans around me where I live. Sorry to disappoint but no riots.

Suggest you try down south.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:51 PM

905 posts, read 446,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
I don't think it is as much to do with being an interracial couple as it's just how people here are. We moved here many years ago and it was quite a cultural shock for me. Everyone I've met who has moved to south central PA from somewhere else says the same thing. People are superficiality pleasant but that's as far as it goes. They have their own circle of friends and are not interested in enlarging that circle.

There was an article in the Harrisburg paper some years ago about how churches were not welcoming to new people.

We've lived here over 30 years and I've never had the type of close friendships that I had as a military wife or when living in the south. I'm used to it now but it was hard at first.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I don't think it is as much to do with being an interracial couple as it's just how people here are. We moved here many years ago and it was quite a cultural shock for me. Everyone I've met who has moved to south central PA from somewhere else says the same thing. People are superficiality pleasant but that's as far as it goes. They have their own circle of friends and are not interested in enlarging that circle.

There was an article in the Harrisburg paper some years ago about how churches were not welcoming to new people.

We've lived here over 30 years and I've never had the type of close friendships that I had as a military wife or when living in the south. I'm used to it now but it was hard at first.
That's your own personal experience. If you like the south so much, that's great. Try being a "Yank" in some southern states. Your treated by some like a Martian from another planet.

South Central PA is a rather good representation of middle class America. Not red neck hicky nor far liberal east coast. It's a nice place to raise your family and meet nice people. Jobs and the economy are not it's strong suit, but many people can now work from home so that might not be an issue for some.

Close friendships these days? It's not an easy task anywhere in the country. Everyone after 5pm goes straight home and puts the TV on and never leaves their home. It's either watching TV or looking at their computer to keep busy instead of going out to meet people.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:53 AM

905 posts, read 446,939 times
Quote:
That's your own personal experience. If you like the south so much, that's great. Try being a "Yank" in some southern states. Your treated by some like a Martian from another planet.
I was merely pointing out that any aloofness to newcomers could be due to the local culture rather than due to racial reasons.

I don't "like the south so much" and have no interest in living there again. But you can't deny that there are cultural differences between various areas of the country. The south does have its own idea of what constitutes good manners and that is something that newcomers to that area can run afoul of.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:59 PM

696 posts, read 445,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Pennsylvania is not really a conservative state. Our Governor is a Democrat. FYI. Who won by double digits.

It has pockets of dark red. Most of the state is purple. And most of the desirable areas are definitely more blue. Hershey is Democratic. As is Camp Hill. Manheim Twp. is also Democrat by Lancaster as is Lancaster city.

I would suggest looking to move to another state. tbh

You are more likely to be harmed in a car accident than by a riot. Which there really have not been that many in Pennslyvania's blue cities. New York and Pennsylvania are more alike than not. So I would honestly suggest moving not here.
Eh.

I highly doubt Tom Wolf will get re-elected, as many democrats despise it, particularly ones that work. But that's just an observation.

Most of the state is solid red, I don't live in Harrisburg, but at least here in Pittsburgh, conservatives severely outnumber liberals in the metro - but is presently a purple state as a result of Philadelphia's metro - although Philly isn't doing too hot presently.

Just because the mayor or governor of somewhere is a democrat or republican doesn't make it a blue or red state. Joe Manchin was elected by a plethora of republicans in West Virginia, and somehow Chris Christie was elected by a plethora of democrats in New Jersey.

Getting away from riots isn't so much as to being harmed as it is the mentality of the people, which is definitely something worthy of escaping. This mentality is absolutely awful and corrupt and shouldn't be celebrated the way that it is. It's Anti-Love-your-neighbor.

OP I'd recommend looking into nicer states, which happen to be more conservative, such as Ohio and Indiana - both have large conservative cities such as Fort Wayne and to some extent Dayton and even Indianapolis. However, I don't think PA would be an awful choice either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area