U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:02 AM

985 posts, read 1,239,216 times

Advertisements

Whats a good area without Democrats and Riots? We want out of NY and love the areas near Strasburg, Hershey, New Holland etc. Trying to get away from the disaster that is Liberal run cities. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:49 AM

4,541 posts, read 4,033,893 times
From the map linked below, it appears that Lebanon, Adams, Perry, York, Franklin, Snyder, Union and Tioga Counties have the highest percentages of registered Republicans.

https://pasdc.hbg.psu.edu/sdc/pasdc_.../motm_0804.pdf

Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 824,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Whats a good area without Democrats and Riots? We want out of NY and love the areas near Strasburg, Hershey, New Holland etc. Trying to get away from the disaster that is Liberal run cities. Thanks
Hershey is really nice. Also I would suggest Manheim Township, which is a suburb of Lancaster city. People are certainly more on the conservative side, and super friendly and accepting of everyone. Many NY/NJ people as well as good diversity here as well. It's really nice here, and I'm originally from North Jersey.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 AM

126 posts, read 111,973 times
The areas that are growing and have amenities are all trending liberal. Manheim Township just elected Democratic commissions for the first time in decades. If you want a Republican area near Harrisburg, try Perry County.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
The areas that are growing and have amenities are all trending liberal. Manheim Township just elected Democratic commissions for the first time in decades. If you want a Republican area near Harrisburg, try Perry County.
You can say it's "trending" however the majority in Lancaster county is still very conservative with the exception of Lancaster city.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 AM

584 posts, read 251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
You can say it's "trending" however the majority in Lancaster county is still very conservative with the exception of Lancaster city.
True, but times are changing, just a bit more slowly in the county. New Dem. registrations run about 4-1 over republican in the area, and within the last year or two, in one of the highly regarded school districts, north of the city, can't remember which one, voters tossed out the republican school board for the first time.
I'm a lib. and a county resident. The one big difference here, that you wont' find in some other places with a strong conservative lean, is that the majority of folks tend to be a lot more dignified. Not a lot of loud, tasteless garbage evident in either behavior or display here. There is some, but I spend my winters in rural Florida, and LC has a tiny fraction of the trashy people, and garbage political behavior you see there. That is my CULTURAL observation, and no reflection on anybody's political beliefs, that I couldn't care less about.

To Answer the OP, most communities in Lancaster county will have a healthy majority of quiet conservatives that view things from a religious perspective. The county is famously insular, so don't expect much more than a superficial welcome from the true natives, unless you join their church, then you are good to go. This isn't a joke, when we moved to our little town there were everything from covert, to brazen attempts to get us in the pews of a few local churches. I'm sure that "Jake in China" has plenty of warm interactions with folks in his neighborhood, but remember the trophy areas north of the city, Lititz, Manheim Twsp. etc.. are favorite areas for the transplants to head, when they want, or have to relocate to, when moving to the region. These folks tend to be a lot more worldly, and outgoing. There are true, "born in Lancaster general, like all of my forefathers before me" folks, who are polite and pleasant to a fault, but will never even thing of socializing with somebody who didn't at least graduate from the local high school, and is preferably a true native.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:19 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Pennsylvania is not really a conservative state. Our Governor is a Democrat. FYI. Who won by double digits.

It has pockets of dark red. Most of the state is purple. And most of the desirable areas are definitely more blue. Hershey is Democratic. As is Camp Hill. Manheim Twp. is also Democrat by Lancaster as is Lancaster city.

I would suggest looking to move to another state. tbh

You are more likely to be harmed in a car accident than by a riot. Which there really have not been that many in Pennslyvania's blue cities. New York and Pennsylvania are more alike than not. So I would honestly suggest moving not here.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
True, but times are changing, just a bit more slowly in the county. New Dem. registrations run about 4-1 over republican in the area, and within the last year or two, in one of the highly regarded school districts, north of the city, can't remember which one, voters tossed out the republican school board for the first time.
I'm a lib. and a county resident. The one big difference here, that you wont' find in some other places with a strong conservative lean, is that the majority of folks tend to be a lot more dignified. Not a lot of loud, tasteless garbage evident in either behavior or display here. There is some, but I spend my winters in rural Florida, and LC has a tiny fraction of the trashy people, and garbage political behavior you see there. That is my CULTURAL observation, and no reflection on anybody's political beliefs, that I couldn't care less about.

To Answer the OP, most communities in Lancaster county will have a healthy majority of quiet conservatives that view things from a religious perspective. The county is famously insular, so don't expect much more than a superficial welcome from the true natives, unless you join their church, then you are good to go. This isn't a joke, when we moved to our little town there were everything from covert, to brazen attempts to get us in the pews of a few local churches. I'm sure that "Jake in China" has plenty of warm interactions with folks in his neighborhood, but remember the trophy areas north of the city, Lititz, Manheim Twsp. etc.. are favorite areas for the transplants to head, when they want, or have to relocate to, when moving to the region. These folks tend to be a lot more worldly, and outgoing. There are true, "born in Lancaster general, like all of my forefathers before me" folks, who are polite and pleasant to a fault, but will never even thing of socializing with somebody who didn't at least graduate from the local high school, and is preferably a true native.
I would agree with this post.

I'm in Manheim Township, and you can't really say it's conservative anymore ( I certainly wouldn't call it liberal either) as the transplants from NY/NJ/MD and other areas have changed it to a more moderate area, which I actually like. Too much of one side is really no good IMO.

I wish more areas of the country were more moderate and tolerant of everyone's belief's and ideas. Sadly we continue to be more divided and less tolerant of others.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:20 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,504,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

The one without riots caused by jackass repugnicans!!

Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM

111 posts, read 38,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
jackass repugnicans!!
Wrong. Democrats are the jackass. Republicans are the elephant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area