U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:07 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,094,835 times

Advertisements

The Harrisburg metro could 100% support a 2nd Wegmans location.

Erie has two locations. Scranton has two locations. And the Lehigh Valley has 3. Which are all similar size metros relatively.

I say they should knock the majority of the dying Colonial Park Mall down and build it there. Keep the Boscovs. Add some apartments. Add the Wegmans. And say a Nordstrom Rack, and maybe three other retailers and restaurants.

And boom! You have just transformed the East Shore! lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:36 AM

4,546 posts, read 4,036,219 times
Scranton has only 1 Wegmans.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:03 PM

126 posts, read 112,157 times
Wegmans originally planned an east shore store by the Shoppes at Susquehanna off Brindle Drive by the Progress Ave 81 interchange. However, they shelved the idea after the sales at the Mechanicsburg store were drastically less than projections in the first few years after opening. As a matter of fact, the Mechanicsburg store was often tied with Williamsport or State College (in the summer) for lowest sales in the state. After it opened they even changed the name from Harrisburg West to Harrisburg. I'm sure sales have recovered since then but it may be a while before they deem it necessary to open another store in the Harrisburg area. The highest sales in the state were often at the Malvern or Allentown store, sometimes Warrington.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:40 PM

273 posts, read 198,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Scranton has only 1 Wegmans.
I assume that in this case “Scranton” is referring to the larger Scranton/WIlkes-Barre metro area, and the company does have a second store in Wilkes-Barre Township.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The Harrisburg metro could 100% support a 2nd Wegmans location.

Erie has two locations. Scranton has two locations. And the Lehigh Valley has 3. Which are all similar size metros relatively.
As I’ve observed in the past, my analysis is that the presence of Wegmans in Erie and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (and Williamsport, for that matter) is something of an anomaly, from a 2020 perspective—and that's certainly a lucky break for the people who live in those cities. They merely happened to be within range of the company’s existing Rochester distribution center when it first tested the waters of operating outside New York State.

The company’s opening of a distribution center in Schuylkill County in 2002 arguably enabled Wegmans to leapfrog over much of central Pennsylvania in order to target high income suburbs of Washington with new stores. And now Wegmans is building another distribution center near Richmond—to facilitate its next leapfrog jump in pursuit of affluent suburban customers in greenfield retail developments around the Raleigh-Durham area. I think it’s clear that Wegmans isn’t interested in further saturating its existing (slow growth) Northeastern markets as much it is with chasing mushrooming suburban areas farther south.

With the exception of its forthcoming Brooklyn and Wisconsin Ave. stores—which are arguably boutique projects in post-gentrified all-star cities—Wegmans has demonstrated an intense dedication to a certain flavor of suburban development: Affluent suburbs with high proportions of professionals with college degrees, in the shadow of office parks and new construction townhouses, attached or adjacent to shopping centers with upper-middle-class retail... and so on.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:57 PM

4,546 posts, read 4,036,219 times
I rarely shop at Wegmans. They're in the process of eliminating brand name groceries and substituting their own label (like Whole Foods). The variety of products that they carry is abysmal. Contrast that with Giant which stocks its shelves with a vast variety of different brands. Wegmans does carry a lot of diabetic, celiac, vegan, gourmet and organic products but I don't shop for those items. Their bake shop products are way overpriced and they don't have a "next day" rack for baked goods, which I confess to combing through. Their deli area only carries "uncured" meats. Unfortunately many other stores now carry "uncured" meats but Wegmans was the first. When you eliminate sodium nitrite (the curing agent), you must substitute more salt, smoke flavoring, celery seeds and what not to try to mask the flavor of the poor quality meats that go into lunch meat and hot dogs. Sodium nitrite transforms these coarse meats into deliciousness.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:17 AM

1,047 posts, read 825,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I rarely shop at Wegmans. They're in the process of eliminating brand name groceries and substituting their own label (like Whole Foods). The variety of products that they carry is abysmal. Contrast that with Giant which stocks its shelves with a vast variety of different brands. Wegmans does carry a lot of diabetic, celiac, vegan, gourmet and organic products but I don't shop for those items. Their bake shop products are way overpriced and they don't have a "next day" rack for baked goods, which I confess to combing through. Their deli area only carries "uncured" meats. Unfortunately many other stores now carry "uncured" meats but Wegmans was the first. When you eliminate sodium nitrite (the curing agent), you must substitute more salt, smoke flavoring, celery seeds and what not to try to mask the flavor of the poor quality meats that go into lunch meat and hot dogs. Sodium nitrite transforms these coarse meats into deliciousness.
Giant is a joke here in the Lancaster area. Go check out what produce or fruits they offer and it isn't even close to Wegman's.

I will say Wegman's has good variety, but not always the freshest produce around.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,190 times
I 100% agree with you. The East Shore could definitely use a Wegmans somewhere on Rt. 22, east of I-83. That section of 22 is always busy. The only problem with the Wegmans that we currently have is that it is a little out of the way for a large portion of the Harrisburg Area.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 273,926 times
Wegmans like all corporations today, has their strategy upon heading Southward. Doubtful it will have plans for more PA stores. Its next Distribution Center I believe has a sight in Virginia chosen. Again showing the push southward and though I do not work for Wegmans any longer. Seems even Florida was on their radar to expand in. So DC southward is a main focus. The DC here in PA is working at its limits where expansion plans for it going back a few years and even another one next door to the current one they secured land for.... was all shelfted. First new one next door to expanding the current one to eyes just on another one built southward.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:22 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Wegmans like all corporations today, has their strategy upon heading Southward. Doubtful it will have plans for more PA stores. Its next Distribution Center I believe has a sight in Virginia chosen. Again showing the push southward and though I do not work for Wegmans any longer. Seems even Florida was on their radar to expand in. So DC southward is a main focus. The DC here in PA is working at its limits where expansion plans for it going back a few years and even another one next door to the current one they secured land for.... was all shelfted. First new one next door to expanding the current one to eyes just on another one built southward.
It is building another Pennsylvania store in Bucks County. Pennsylvania has Wegmans second most locations after only NY State. The Allentown/Bethlehem metro has 3 Wegmans.

The Harrisburg market most definitely could support a second location and with its current logistics in Pennsylvania it would be a net gain for the company.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The Harrisburg market most definitely could support a second location and with its current logistics in Pennsylvania it would be a net gain for the company.
Can certainly hope. From my place I'm equally far in real time from the Silver Spring Twp. location, and the Manheim Twp/Lancaster store, both far enough that I'd have to carry a cooler to buy refrigerated stuff. Not sure it's coming any time soon, but a close look at the alarm annunciator in the Silver Spring store calls it "Harrisburg West" so they must at least have thought of another spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area